Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-12, 10:10 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default We all have Cats

Originally Posted by OBEY414
I have a 97 with a cat. converter, will this have an affect on it??
Unless you are talking to a track only guy, the majority of Forum members have cats. The track guys are not the ones talking about SeaFoaming their engines because they have many more occasions to tear them apart than daily drivers have.
Old 04-04-12, 09:47 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used this sea foam on my 1jzgte, wifes solara, my 6.0 diesel truck. and have also used the water method. no complaints here.. water worked great on my rx7 years ago when i tried. even after a few hard runs on the freeway sht was coming out of the exhaust .. i just bought another bottle yesterday for my wifes car and my 1jzgte.
i'm still going to run the water first then add the sea foam on the 1J. some people even run a little bit of 2 stroke oil in their gas. i've done it before...
Old 04-04-12, 10:19 PM
aristo123
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seafoamed 95sc4 with 129k, nothing really happened. It blew the large cloud of smoke out the tail pipes but that was pretty much it. I changed the pcv valve, fuel filter, air filter, oil change, and spark plugs and the hesitation got much better but now when im on the highway i noticed that around 2000 rpm i get some hesitation. Its very obvious the timming belt has not been done, nor the spark plug wires and caps/rotors. The biggest improvement was the fuel filter, it was the original from toyota and boy was it hard to remove. Once replaced the mpg seem to be much better and i dont get that wierd shift at 1100 rpm.
Old 04-05-12, 08:07 AM
adtjr124
Driver School Candidate

if nothing is wrong with the car ,no need to use it sometimes it kills gas mileage and i use a drip system it did improve gas mileage on my mk3 supraturbo (blown piston rings) but did nothing the second time,had a honda civic(cracked block) gas mileage went down, its a 50/50 ive seafoamed alot of cars, would i do it to my good running sc400? no. ill put it in the gas tank but not thru the vacuum
Old 04-05-12, 08:49 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

You're going to want to change plugs after driving it for about an hour POST sea foaming in my opinion.

I'm not sure how it could make you lose gas mileage, perhaps a light lean condition that the computer is trying to correct by adding more fuel?
Old 04-16-12, 12:37 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

I seafoamed my 200K mile 92 sc400 and it took away a little bogging, and hesitation.

The bogging/hesitation returned three months later.

I seafoamed it again. The second time in four months. It went away again.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-01-12, 11:24 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I purchased my 92 SC400 the mileage was dismal, I was getting 13.2 in city driving, 17 on the highway and was ready to do a full tune-up. After digging in I noticed all the ignition parts were new so and the car ran wonderfully so I was a little perplexed as I couldn't find any reason why the car was down 5 mpg from what it should have been, according to what I've read from others here.
I came across this thread and while I've always thought of additives as little more than snake-oil I was willing to give it a shot as the car has 270k miles on it and the engine had never been apart.
I filled the gas and dumped a full bottle in it, put half of another bottle in the oil and drove around for a half-hour before heading home to drain it. After a fresh batch of Mobil 1 and a filter I drove it and notced a little better mid-range response but little else.
That was in February and I tracked the mileage every week, there was little improvement the first month. After that first month the mileage started to rise, slowly. By June the mileage had climbed to 17/25 and that is while using the A/C constantly!!!
I have yet to clean my throttle body and intake or clean the cylinders with it but the engine starts faster now, runs smoother, and the mileage increase has impressed the heck out of me! I'd say well worth the $20 spent!!!
Old 07-04-12, 03:13 PM
shaka778
Rookie

So im not really sold on this yet because of mixed reviews. I just got my SC400 and feels great when i drive it but then again its my first so i have nothing to compare it my other car is an fj Cruiser. So my question is, when i do my tune up (plugs,wires,oil,filter,cap and rotors, pcv valve and fuel filter) is there anything other than seafoam that i should use. Additive wise in oil or gas tank? Thanks guys.
Old 07-04-12, 11:05 PM
jgilk1
Rookie

i only use seafoam directly in to the intake manifold directly through a vacuum hose (the line to the break booster seems to be big enough that you dont spill every where)... pour it slowly for the first half of the container (not to stall the motor but enough to get a good ploom of white drifting down the street) once about half the can is gone i pour it in till the motor stalls... let it sit 15-20 minutes or about the point the police show up asking questions and then start the car back up and drive it around the block a few times...

i would say about every 5 oil changes (15,000 miles) 1/4 cup of kerosene through the oil to remove any varnish or sludge that might have accumulated in the lower block... this might be excessive but my uncles did it with all of his work rigs most not including diesels are over 300k on stock internals (9 rigs not including diesels)

as for gas treatment i am impartial to marvel magic mystery oil... helps lubricate the top end after running sea foam through the intake... i think i use roughly 1 cap full per gallon of gas...

i havent done it with the sc400 yet but when ever i run a vehicle in mostly city conditions (high carbon low speed traffic) i grab 1 gallon of low lead from the airport for every gallon of gas the tank will hold... and run the **** out of the car down the freeway (20 gallon tank = 15 gallons of premium and 5 gallons of low lead (110 octane)

Last edited by jgilk1; 07-04-12 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 10:38 AM
scmaluco
Driver

Originally Posted by shaka778
So im not really sold on this yet because of mixed reviews. I just got my SC400 and feels great when i drive it but then again its my first so i have nothing to compare it my other car is an fj Cruiser. So my question is, when i do my tune up (plugs,wires,oil,filter,cap and rotors, pcv valve and fuel filter) is there anything other than seafoam that i should use. Additive wise in oil or gas tank? Thanks guys.
i advice you to do the seamfoam/injector clean and whatever else you want to throw in there b4 doing the tune. you dont want to foul your plugs or damage any of the new parts you are about to put on...
Old 01-20-13, 08:50 AM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just picked up my 93 SC4 with 74,000 miles yesterday! I'm heading to pick up some sea foam now, then do a full tune up. I would guess that with that few miles, it's never been done before. I have no idea how much build up there is but I will find out. Maybe none. I'll check in later with an update.
Old 01-29-13, 07:52 PM
Justakid21
Driver School Candidate

I work for Toyota and we use a product called "double clean" much like sea foam. you can do it several ways but the easiest and least time consuming is to disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster and slowly pour half of the contents into the intake. Wait a few minutes and finish the rest of the bottle. then go drive it around the block. Voila.
Old 01-29-13, 08:51 PM
scmaluco
Driver

Originally Posted by Justakid21
I work for Toyota and we use a product called "double clean" much like sea foam. you can do it several ways but the easiest and least time consuming is to disconnect the vacuum line to the brake booster and slowly pour half of the contents into the intake. Wait a few minutes and finish the rest of the bottle. then go drive it around the block. Voila.
I have done the vacuum line one with 2L of water.. water is free and works great. another good one is automatic transmission fluid... google it.... i drove it around after and nothing 20 miles later. **** load of smoke started coming out when i was boosting.. alot of the crap that was in there started coming out and it went back to normal... make sure to keep the idle up so the car wont "choke and die" .. speaking of which i haven't done that to the 1jz yet.. will soon
Old 01-31-13, 02:33 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to try this next weekend, my brothers a mechanic however and said not to buy into this gimmick, but with a lot of positive reviews I still want to give it a shot. I just got my SC, and the past owner didn't take much care of it so I figure whats $9 anyway. Also good to mention my 92 SC 400 has it's second engine a 93 SC 400...so cleaning this thing seems like a good idea...who knows how long the replacement engine was sitting around and whats inside of it right?
Old 02-07-13, 03:18 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So i wanted to share my experience with seafoam...it was on a Land Rover V8...but it did do wonders on that and I just wanted to share the procedure which I used exactly.

1.) Make sure the car is cold
2.) Find your vacuum line that you will be using to suck up the seafoam
3.) Turn it on and let run for a minute
3.) With the vacuum line, gently dip into the seafoam grazing the top
4.) Let the entire contents of the can last a minute while getting sucked into the intake
5.) Once the can is empty turn off the car and let it sit for 45 minutes
6.) Turn it on and drive around like crazy until the smoke clears

I KNOW I KNOW!! This was my procedure for a 2001 LR V8...but it worked literally NIGHT and DAY difference.
For fuel I use additives specific for cleaning lines and injectors.

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.