Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 11:31 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, the magic known as seafoam.....I have a video somewhere of running it through my old S14.....the entire street was literally covered in white smoke! That's some toxic stuff hehe...but it gets the job done!
Old 10-30-06, 11:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

That's right...don't drive with Seafoam in the oil.

I can tell you that down here in Mexico, there Seafoam clones so to speak and even using a load of carb cleaner in the throttle body can cause damage.

My uncle has watched (laughingly) other mechanics attempt to clean the throttle body with too much carb cleaner and the ignition coil(s) die.
Old 10-30-06, 12:03 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
That's right...don't drive with Seafoam in the oil.

I can tell you that down here in Mexico, there Seafoam clones so to speak and even using a load of carb cleaner in the throttle body can cause damage.

My uncle has watched (laughingly) other mechanics attempt to clean the throttle body with too much carb cleaner and the ignition coil(s) die.
I've used carb cleaner for 20 years to clean out throttle bodies with the motors running. I have flooded the intake chamber many of times, had a few cars even back fire, but never experienced one problem resulting in damage...Results were clean throttle bodies always and a steady idle afterwards...Don't know what exactly your uncle was laughing at...STP carburator cleaner does wonders for the throttle body cleaning....

Seafoam can kill the spark plugs but wll clean out the combustion chambers free of carbon buildup from years and years of EGR NOX recirclation....Seafoam works, but does make a one hell of a smoke screen....Change the plugs after...I never used it in the oil, so I cannot speak intellengently about that......
Old 11-01-06, 06:52 AM
twodmax
Driver School Candidate

I have been using sea foam in every engine for years with good results. My lawnmower and leaf blower love it, just use small amount. Bikers are also big fans. Personally have never used in oil and have not noticed any fouling of plugs when put in gas tank.
Old 11-16-06, 02:55 AM
SCguy58
Pole Position

I'm thinking of doing this when I change my oil, but want to make sure I do it correct. Put 1 can into the gas tank and run it to empty, then replace the spark plugs. When adding it to my oil, I run my engine for 10 minutes then shut the car off and add 2/3 of the can to the oil and restart engine and let it run for 10 minutes. When this is done change the oil and oil filter. And lastly add 1/3 of the can to the PVC line a little at a time. Should I change my oil after I use the tank of gas or would it be alright if I changed my oil, then drove around for a few days with it in my gas?
Old 02-22-07, 11:18 PM
itssr20
Driver

is it absolutely necessary to change plugs after seafoaming through the brake booster vac line??
Do the plugs get fouled??
Old 02-23-07, 12:55 AM
94lex83457
Lead Lap

Other than a loss in performance and gas mileage I had no problems with the plugs. However, I just replaced them and they were pretty f'ing corroted, so it probably is a good idea.

This stuff works wonders. I've used it in crankcase, vaccum line, and gas tank. I love it.
Old 02-23-07, 03:09 AM
itssr20
Driver

i bought some seafoam, but i just changed my plugs 2 weeks ago I dont know if i feel like doin all that work again...
Old 05-06-07, 10:29 PM
fwynn
Lexus Test Driver

bringing back the dead :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrasAYG42g

no one did a video.. soo i decided to make a video and share it :]
a DIY i guess?

Last edited by fwynn; 05-06-07 at 10:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QLex300 (12-20-21)
Old 05-07-07, 02:28 AM
LEXtaSC400
Driver

Awesome, thanks for the up. Now I just gotta find where they sell it here in Hawaii...
Old 05-07-07, 07:48 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

little one for me

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v4...nt=seafoam.flv

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 05-07-07 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 04:47 PM
Turbocoop
Rookie

I seafoamed mine when I first got it. I poured a little in the gas tank when I filled it up, and I sucked the rest in through a vacuum hose after the TB with it running at about 2500-3K rpm. I also sprayed the TB with cleaner cause it was full of crap. A assload of white smoke came out, but I honestly couldnt tell a difference in anything else. After I changed the plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor and put a K&N filter in it was able to spin the tires from a stop, which it couldnt do before.
Old 05-07-07, 04:53 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
I've used carb cleaner for 20 years to clean out throttle bodies with the motors running. I have flooded the intake chamber many of times, had a few cars even back fire, but never experienced one problem resulting in damage...Results were clean throttle bodies always and a steady idle afterwards...Don't know what exactly your uncle was laughing at...STP carburator cleaner does wonders for the throttle body cleaning....

Seafoam can kill the spark plugs but wll clean out the combustion chambers free of carbon buildup from years and years of EGR NOX recirclation....Seafoam works, but does make a one hell of a smoke screen....Change the plugs after...I never used it in the oil, so I cannot speak intellengently about that......
I realize this post is a little old, but re-read what I said...don't drive with seafoam in the oil. Over the weekend I cleaned out my throttle body by hand in my RX300 and using a dowel stick coated with carb cleaner (we don't have seafoam here...I wish we did). Issue down here is that people erroneously assume it is like fuel injection cleaner and that you need to drive around to get it to work...this is where the problems start. Again, if you IDLE it rather than DRIVE it...you won't have such issues.
Old 05-07-07, 05:06 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

yea driving it around or not doesnt really matter.. but its more fun when ur driving then standing still n revving it =}
Old 05-09-07, 06:32 AM
vugoodoll
Driver

One quick question, when i put seafoam in the full gas tank shouldn't i be driving until the the gas is empty(260miles) because there some seafoam left in it? But it is recomment that you get oil change right away when the smoke are clear. I'm confuse Please englighten me.

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.