Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Seafoam experts, check in here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 07:04 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting it in the gastank makes it more like a fuel injector/fuel treatment cleaner etc. It doesnt really matter to get it all out at once, but im sure it wouldnt hurt

Putting it in the oil cleans the crank case, but you need to change oil VERY soon after that.

Putting it in through the vacuum lines (ie. brake booster is the best) will make the car smoke and clean out all the carbon build up. also the most fun!
Old 05-09-07, 03:48 PM
vugoodoll
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Putting it in the gastank makes it more like a fuel injector/fuel treatment cleaner etc. It doesnt really matter to get it all out at once, but im sure it wouldnt hurt

Putting it in the oil cleans the crank case, but you need to change oil VERY soon after that.

Putting it in through the vacuum lines (ie. brake booster is the best) will make the car smoke and clean out all the carbon build up. also the most fun!
cool, thanks. Now I feel more confident to seafoam my car
Old 05-15-07, 08:04 AM
Devir
Rookie

Default Finally did it.

I just got around to Seafoaming the "Break Booster" way. It took a little courage and a big open area.

I did this with a person in the car hand at the key, ready to power down the car.

To identify the break booster line, you look to the back of the car, to the right is the master cylinder. alond to the left running along the firewall is a 2 piece plastic pipe, this is the line you want. pull out the left end, in the middle is some connector unit. The line runs about 1 foot into a solid metal line then into the manifold.

Filling a disposable plastic container with 1/3 the seafoam bottle, I got right to work on letting it suck into the running engine. To avoid hydrolock do it semi slow, and dont let it stall the car. It'll take less than a minute still to suck all the liquid out.

As soon as the liquid is gone, kill the engine. Stand around and chat for 5-10 minutes. Start the car.

I let it idle and only got little poofs of barely visible smoke. I had thought I did something wrong. Even with some revving barely a h int of smoke shot out.

About 1-2 minutes into the start up the smoke came, and it came strong and hard. giant clouds of it wafted into the street, what a sight it was. I let the car rev at about 3-4k RPM and juiced it to redline every 15-20 seconds.

The smoke took about 10 minutes to stop pouring out. My brother says the car was noticably better sounding. I noticed a nice change in attitude. The car was quieter. smoother, and all around better feeling. Shifting was smoother for some reason.

In all I'll rate this at a 9 out of ten for cheap ways to clean and improve the car performance. Today the oil is being changed out to rid the carbon deposits.

This is a '98 sc400 with 80k miles on it. It may be old, but it's still young at heart.
Old 05-23-07, 12:32 PM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

I did 1 full can into my gas tank, and 60% of a can into my intake mani. Car smoked white and stalled once or twice. I did the IV drop method, and that seemed to work very good.

I didnt change the plugs or oil yet, as the car feels perfect after. It feels a little better too.

Ill probably put the remaining bottle into the oil before changing it this weekend.

This was in my 2JZGTE.
Old 05-27-07, 08:13 PM
tritron
Lead Lap

how you seafoam v8 on lx470? where I can pour it in ?
Old 05-27-07, 08:43 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey all,

Just so you know, I have seen a rod go through a block more than once by using a top engine cleaner on a Toyota (through vaccum).

A similar product is used at most dealers. DO NOT JUST DUMP IT IN.

The best way is through the shortest route to vaccum possible, and use a tool that will atomize the liquid as it goes into the engine.

Also have seen it burn one cat on an older 4-runner. Took me a day and a half to figure out why the thing had no power.

Just my opinion.

BTW Toyota tech
Old 05-28-07, 11:01 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tritron
how you seafoam v8 on lx470? where I can pour it in ?
can you get a picture of the engine bay? if so then itll be easier to find the hose.
Old 05-29-07, 12:58 PM
Scoupe3
Rookie

Originally Posted by fwynn
bringing back the dead :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrasAYG42g

no one did a video.. soo i decided to make a video and share it :]
a DIY i guess?
makes it a lot easier
thanks
Old 05-31-07, 01:54 AM
SC30096
Pole Position

Hi does anyone have a picture indicating where the break booster line is on a sc300
thanks
Old 05-31-07, 10:30 AM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Sea Foam MY BUTT!

Guys,

A long while ago I bought a Toy Cressida with 116K miles on it. To be nice to my new "steed", I treated her to a fresh change of all fluids and, to be extra cool, additives in all resovoirs. Marvels is my choice for oil and gas but the trans I have never done cause this was my first auto. The clerk said "seafoam" is the best for the trans. I put that stuff in my trans and the poor thing went NUTS a few days later. I mean the trans went insane. I grieved for the loss of a grand($) that I was certain would show up in my bank statement in a short while. My mech was sympathetic but asked " why did you dump anything in the auto". He and I relate and I just wined some senseless answer that made him cough. He drained my tx and the thing recovered a few weeks later and was back to the spectacular Toy performance in a couple of months.

Seafoam! You do and you'll clean it up!

My 2 cents

John
Old 05-31-07, 10:35 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

The booster line in sc300 is on driver side connected to brake booster. When you unplug the line you should hear noise of air rushing in.
Old 07-05-07, 12:28 AM
miraluna
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just have used seafoam for my sc300. The way that I did it was that i put 1/2 of it in the oil (to the block), 1 in the gas tank, and 1/2 to the fuel injectors. I also did youtube.com research to find out how to seafoam. After hours of research, I finally did it... I have check engine light on and funny thing is that now it is gone... I let it soak in about 10 min... It is more like 2 persons job than one alone, at least thru my exprience... it can be done by one person alone but way easier if done by two. I drove the car around about 20 min after fuel injector cleaning and add 1 bottom of seafoam into gas tank with fill up and then went to do oil change. right in front of the shop, I added it in oil, and then wait 10 mins... and did an oil change... my oil wasn't bad at all somehow... I just had it done last week... I am very satisfied with it...
Old 09-14-07, 07:04 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnEd
The clerk said "seafoam" is the best for the trans.
Your first mistake is believing the minimum wage clerk who doesn't know a transmission from his own ***.

Originally Posted by JohnEd
Seafoam! You do it WRONG and you'll clean it up!
Corrected.

They make a product specifically for the trans fluid. Also, why would you want to clean the auto tranny? Auto trans fluid itself can be used as a cleaner. Ever seen the inside of a running auto tranny? It's spotless. And on an old car where the seals can be DAMAGED by a trans fluid change, you should never put in seafoam. Seafoam is for engine ONLY.
Old 09-15-07, 12:16 AM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im looking to seafoam mine before the winter. Might as well do a full tuneup before it gets too cold.

This thread is a big help!
Old 09-15-07, 06:12 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did mines the other day, only have half of the bottle left so i used half to the vaccum hose and the other half to the gas tank..i did notice that my rpm drop to 800rpm instead of being at 1000rpm, which is good btw.

Quick Reply: Seafoam experts, check in here.