Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Clip Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 10:02 AM
nism0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ Clip Question

I am getting a 1jz for my car. The car is currently a 5-speed. The shop that is doing the swap recommended that I buy an automatic soarer clip because it will be cheaper that a 5-speed and the motor will probably be in better condition because it would not have been beat on. They said that they just have to change the bell housing on my stock transmission to fit the 1jz.

I found an automatic clip that appears to be stock but it has 92,000 miles on it, should I buy this clip or look for another one?

I posted on supraforums, but didn’t get much of a response.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-05, 10:38 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont need a different bellhousing, I dont think...
Old 03-31-05, 02:20 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

your bellhousing will bolt right up
Old 04-01-05, 05:53 AM
nism0
Pole Position

thanks for the info about the bellhousing. i probably should have done some more research on that.

so does anyone have any info about whether or not to buy that clip with 92k on it. does anyone with a 1jz know how many miles were on it when they bought it?

Thanks
Old 04-01-05, 06:33 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nism0
thanks for the info about the bellhousing. i probably should have done some more research on that.

so does anyone have any info about whether or not to buy that clip with 92k on it. does anyone with a 1jz know how many miles were on it when they bought it?

Thanks
DON'T GET THAT CLIP. Freaking 92K miles on it?? The motor in my clip came with 60K Km on it.... which translates to roughly 37 K miles.
Old 04-01-05, 10:08 AM
nism0
Pole Position

kaotiq - wow now thats a big difference. Thats sort of what i was expecting a clip with around 40k miles on it. When they told me that the clip had 92k on it i was surprised.

Any ideas of a reliable place to get a clip from? Where did you get your clip from if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks
Old 04-01-05, 10:55 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kaotiq - wow now thats a big difference. Thats sort of what i was expecting a clip with around 40k miles on it. When they told me that the clip had 92k on it i was surprised.

Any ideas of a reliable place to get a clip from? Where did you get your clip from if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks

i got mine from Venus auto. You just have to sit and wait around for it come. Once in a while they will have a period where the clips are so so AND then get a bunch that are awesome.
Old 04-01-05, 11:35 AM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Where are in New Jersey? There a few local importers that have 1jzs in stock. I saw 3 of them today one with the rare r154 trans. All I would do is bring a compressiontester and a car battery.
Old 04-01-05, 02:07 PM
nism0
Pole Position

kaotiq - i was reading up on venus auto on some other fourms, and alot of people had bad things to say about them. Plus shipping would be too much from Califonia to NJ. But thanks.

JustinDD91 - i am located in central Jersey. i would appreciate it you could point me towards the direction of those local importers.

Thanks
Old 04-01-05, 07:59 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks
nism0,

1JZ motors are very strong, nothing wrong with 92k on the clock (assuming that's kms). The only time I've seen a 1JZ fail is when one leaned out (running twin Garrett T3's) and the other because of lack of regular oil changes from the previous owner. A lot of cars that come through from Japan have fake kms. I purchased my Soarer over 3 years ago with a little more than 76500 on the clock, currently it has nearly 190000kms and is still going strong, so even with 92k kms it wouldn't be too bad... heck, that's just the break-in period

Jose
Old 04-01-05, 11:36 PM
nism0
Pole Position

Soarer_25GTT - the clip has 147K kms on it. But the importer told me that he drove the car himself right before it was cut. The engine was in good shape, clean, it ran great, and the turbos didn't smoke.

Thanks again for all the info
Old 04-01-05, 11:56 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

I was just a Jap engines and transmissions in Paterson with a feew 1jzs in stock.
Old 04-02-05, 02:52 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

At that age of motor (age in kms) I would get ready to change the turbos (unless you've got that on your 'to do list' ) but the engine itself should still be in good nick. Hell if I can do 187xxx kms on this engine with the only thing breaking the turbos I'm considering the engine going pretty well
Old 04-02-05, 09:19 AM
nism0
Pole Position

Soarer_25GTT - i plan to change the turbos, but i was hoping to do that later down the road not so soon. i think i will just wait for another clip.

but thanks again for all your help.
Old 04-06-05, 04:06 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what kind of prices are these going for these days? if i did a swap, all I'd want would be the motor, ecu, and harness... I'd put on a front mount and a downpipe anyway...

hmmm... venus doesnt list prices much anymore... and jarco is too pricey for my blood
and yes, i'd assume a soarer clip would be cheaper than say a JZA70 clip just because of the popularity of the MA70 to JZA70 conversion

Quick Reply: 1JZ Clip Question