Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For all the people that turboed their SC

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-05, 10:07 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For all the people that turboed their SC

Did you guys think it was worth it in the end? If you had the choice would you do it all over again? I'm still debating if I should go down this route. Spending 10k (Mid single with getrac and proper fueling system) on a car that is already showing signs of aging makes me have doubts. Don't get me wrong, I love my car but honestly with 10k.. You can spend it on things that will have a better return.
Old 04-06-05, 10:23 PM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If your thinking like that......then dont do it. You have to really want it, after your turbo'ed, you will want to upgrade so much more to help you handle the extra power. Not to mention the unexpected costs of possibly breaking parts with the extra power. My 2c

gadgetSC-t
Old 04-07-05, 01:44 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very inspirational.. Im so determined to convert from Automatic to 5speed and go from NA to NA-T so I know im going to be going through alot in the near future.
Old 04-07-05, 07:25 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If you're having second thoughts then maybe it's not for you.

How about toning the project down some? 6-speeds will almost double your NA-T costs. Why not keep your tranny? The costs with NA-T skyrocket as the power you desire goes up.

If you do a mild kit, say 8psi... You might spend 4k if you are lazy. A deal sniffer could turbo his SC for closer to 3k or less. 8psi will put one HELL of a smile on your face.

The only problem with this is keeping that smile there. If you are the type that is never satisfied, or can't convince yourself that 8psi is your limit and any higher is not worth the cost (or the investment outweighs the return), then maybe turboing your SC is not for you.

How long you plan on keeping the car is also a factor. Don't spend all this cash on a project you can't get years of enjoyment out of. Don't invest if you will outgrow the interest. What are your plans next year? To have this car? If you don't spend this money now, can you buy a car in a few years that you would rather have? Maybe an SC430? LS? A Porsche, an NSX? If you have aspirations for bigger and badder cars, don't dump any money into the SC if it will delay that.

I dumped tons of money into my Celica and I honestly regret it. Yes, it was the cleanest Celica around but if I hadn't gotten so caught up in it, I would have had my SC much sooner, much nicer, and with less debt. lol

Now if your SC is the machine you plan a long life with, then invest in your happiness and turbocharge. Decide if a mild kit is right for you. Don't overdo things if you don't need to. It's easy to say "Yes I want 600hp." but do you want to deal with 600hp? A high horsepower turbocharged car is not the nicest thing to drive everyday. The clutch sucks, the fuel consumption is insane, tires will be changed as often as oil, etc, etc... Plus the worst part... Your "estimated" $10k bill really came out to $15k or more. It happens everytime.

Is that what you want? Remember it's all about what will make you happy. Everyone is different so YOU need to take one step back, and look at the big picture. Think about what you want and how your decisions will help you attain your goals.
Old 04-07-05, 11:11 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, why not tone it down some?
Upgrade in some stages so you can be comfortable spending the money... and you'll see the upgrades' value as you buy/install them.

If I could do it again, I'd do it very differently... I'd get a 1jz swap since its a lot cheaper...
the turbokit i built nickel and dimed me to death and in the end it wasnt all that...

tips i can give
-dont use a log manifold, use a header
-make sure you get a front mount
-upgrade the fuel and use good fuel electronics
-get it tuned

thankfully, i've got a TON of extra parts left over sitting in my room profec b2, s-afc, boost gauge, bov, etc
Old 04-07-05, 11:50 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

My best advice is to go ride in a turbo SC and judge for yourself. Whether it be a 1JZ-GTE, NA-T, or a 2JZ-GTE swap. Or even an SC400T
Old 04-07-05, 12:57 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by got_trd
My best advice is to go ride in a turbo SC and judge for yourself. Whether it be a 1JZ-GTE, NA-T, or a 2JZ-GTE swap. Or even an SC400T
the best advice yet!

CEO
Old 04-07-05, 01:09 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

These guys have all left you very good infomation!
they didn't really answer your question as to would they do it again!

I did TT on an SC400. I did have Trans problems, and had it rebuilt
I have broke things, and had down time, spent more $ then I wanted to.
But it the end the answer is Hell Yes I would do it all over again!
The car becomes a completly different creature under boost (at least the 400 does)
I had 150K on my 400 when I put the turbo's on!
Old 04-07-05, 02:10 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the advice guys, it isn't that I haven't sat inside a turboed 2jz. I have sat in a few powerful ones 600 Hp plus. I would love to turbo my car but I believe in doing things right the first time around. That is the reason why I'd go with the getrac. I don't want my tranny blowing up on me during a pull. The thing is that I can do a lot of things with 10k like invest it into a business or put it into gov't bonds. I'm a college student and I don't know if it's a wise decision to drop so much money into something that I know won't appreciate over time. That's why I asked you guys if it was worth it in the end. I know it's a hobby for most of you guys but when do you draw the line and say it's just too much money spent? Obviously this is different for everyone based on each persons income and love for their car. I have the love part down, just not the $ part .
Old 04-07-05, 02:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mrshabo
Thanks for the advice guys, it isn't that I haven't sat inside a turboed 2jz. I have sat in a few powerful ones 600 Hp plus. I would love to turbo my car but I believe in doing things right the first time around. That is the reason why I'd go with the getrac. I don't want my tranny blowing up on me during a pull. The thing is that I can do a lot of things with 10k like invest it into a business or put it into gov't bonds. I'm a college student and I don't know if it's a wise decision to drop so much money into something that I know won't appreciate over time. That's why I asked you guys if it was worth it in the end. I know it's a hobby for most of you guys but when do you draw the line and say it's just too much money spent? Obviously this is different for everyone based on each persons income and love for their car. I have the love part down, just not the $ part .
You use the reason: "doing it right the first time" which to us, is nothing but a newbie mistake...
people that go whacko on a car usually end up dumping it in the end because they didnt do anything with a plan... a guy i know went ape **** on a 97 240sx... wanted to put in a SR20, but wanted it built-up big time with a big turbo/ big fuel/ all kinds of crazy suspension upgrades, etc...
and the guy didnt have much knowledge of cars...
well he ended up blowing the motor the first time, he had upgraded it to a 2.2L stroker and blew it up because he didnt tune it right...
the car after 2+ years of ownership with the initial buying reason for dropping in a monster SR20 JUST got running correctly and only dynoed 360rwhp...
go look at any of the turbocharged car boards... half the people's cars are down, and some of them have been down for a long time...

Doing it right the first time around is good advice, but what you're thinking is "right the first time around by doing everything at once" is not the same thing...
you wont blow up your tranny if you upgrade in stages... like get the basic turbokit first, no fuel, low boost, everything basic...
then once you've got that running RIGHT, install your fuel upgrades... then upgrade your tranny/rear differential

if at any point you decide you're spending too much, you'll be ok... hell the stock tranny can handle 300-350whp just fine... if you decide after that point that its too much, then stop upgrading

Last edited by Bean; 04-07-05 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-07-05, 03:32 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bean
You use the reason: "doing it right the first time" which to us, is nothing but a newbie mistake...

Speak for yourself Bean . To me, 'doing it right the first time' means.....uh......doing it right the first time. If you do an entry level setup you'll spend all the same money again upgrading to a new setup once you tire of low boost, which will happen quickly. You're right to want to put the Getrag in, the budget always gets obliterated anyway, why not be realistic up front and blow the whole wad. I applaud you for having the guts to say f##k it. Life is short.
Oh....but if you plan to get any return on your investment then forget it, leave it stock. Seriously, the only way it's worth it, IMO, is if you plan to keep the car for a looong time. Good luck man.

- Jon
Old 04-07-05, 03:39 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

It doesn't matter how you do it. Just do it.
Old 04-07-05, 06:29 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by awj
It doesn't matter how you do it. Just do it.
Haha , I like that

Thanks for the advise guys. Hey lex why did you sell your car? You turboed then sold. You got tired of the car? I know you recently got a nsx. My friend had one back then and damn.. that car is a blast to drive and is a real attention getter. I love that car, too bad my friend sold it so quick. The NSX is crazy in the corners... It's so smooth and precise. I compared the handling of both cars (mine with Tein SS coilovers set on 10) and a stock NSX. The NSX outhandled my car with ease. It was also a lot more smoother and more comfortable in the NSX. Damn I love that car.
Old 04-07-05, 09:43 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

mrshabo, in the end the SC just wasn't what I was looking for, I had been through so much with the buildup that it felt like there was a black cloud over the car. Hopefully Ethan can break that spell, but his Green SC was also cursed so we'll see what happens. There are times when I miss it. Yeah like you said the NSX handling is superior (I have race coilovers and big sways on mine, plus a decent amount of rubber)....but for you to say the X is smoother and more comfortable...that's definitely a stretch. My fiancee won't even ride in the thing. Both cars have their pros and cons, but the SC is a better daily driver. I'll give you a ride if you're ever in the area, just make sure you don't eat lunch first .

- Jon
Old 04-08-05, 03:10 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lex Luthor
Speak for yourself Bean . To me, 'doing it right the first time' means.....uh......doing it right the first time. If you do an entry level setup you'll spend all the same money again upgrading to a new setup once you tire of low boost, which will happen quickly. You're right to want to put the Getrag in, the budget always gets obliterated anyway, why not be realistic up front and blow the whole wad. I applaud you for having the guts to say f##k it. Life is short.
Oh....but if you plan to get any return on your investment then forget it, leave it stock. Seriously, the only way it's worth it, IMO, is if you plan to keep the car for a looong time. Good luck man.

- Jon
Doing it right the first time has a lot of meanings...
but NO ONE on this forum, that has done EVERYTHING at once has had a relatively quick build with a successful car unless they paid a shop to do everything...
i'm not saying buy an entry-level kit and upgrade off that either... i fail to see where you read that
i guess you're assuming one would upgrade the turbo too? i'm saying buy all the stuff you want in the end, but get it running right first... which almost no one on this forum seems to be able to do (unless they pay a shop)...

Or hell, buy everything at once and get it installed/running right piece by piece... that will work as well.

And yeah, this isnt an investment into value of your car (a little bit, but nothing compared to what you'll drop into it)... so don't get confused with that

BTW, nice NSX, I'm going into the Navy and plan on getting one after I get commissioned as an officer

Quick Reply: For all the people that turboed their SC