Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ-GTE swap almost done

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05 | 06:26 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 1jz is getting quite popular with the SCs recently. Glad to hear more ppl with 1JZs on the board. For a while it was only like 2 or 3 of us here
Old 04-11-05 | 11:03 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, they have become a lot more popular. The uniqueness factor goes down, but having more people with the motor in their car can only lead to better knowledge about the engine for everyone
Old 04-11-05 | 11:57 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lack of support is really the only reason i havent commited to the swap 100% at this point, but youre right, with the expanding knowledge, it can only get better. I wouldnt discount it being unique since probably about 5% of all SCs ever made will every see any sort of major modifications and probably no more than 1% receiving full transplants. With more and more information becoming available and more and more questions answered, the swap seems more and more real to people every day.
Old 04-11-05 | 12:01 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a write-up on the 2jz swap anywhere?
Old 04-11-05 | 12:38 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

curious as to how the AC functions (if its still there at all)

this is my first car with nice cold AC.... all of my previous cars have has a swap in which the AC wasn't hooked up. So i NEEED AC in the SC
Old 04-11-05 | 12:41 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

you keep the AC compressor and other components in place i think. The AC compressor mounts in the same place on the 1jz and the 2jz.

stop with the details tommy, get us motors already. low mileage and cheap too please. thx.
Old 04-11-05 | 12:46 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

1jz Glad more people are doing this. Its so easy. Glad u compared it to an sr20 swap. As thats what compared it to. I found it much easier. Not to mention well more worth it.
Old 04-11-05 | 02:43 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by rscott
the 1jz harness plugs right into the sc300 cabin harness? Would this mean that all you would have to do to wire it up is lengthen the harness, transfer the sc knock sensor and plug it all in? I know there HAS to be something missing. Would the speedo/tach work?

ps: In regards to your sig: I have some mufflers but no piping. PM me if you want them.
Some people have had trouble with the speedo and tach working; but then again, some people havent...

I think it has to do from switching from auto to manual, etc... which i've already got a manual tranny anyways. Just for the "staged" upgrading factor, I'd use my stocker for a bit until I had time to get a good R154 setup.... (and an LSD of course)

Yeah you actually dont even need to extend the harness... I'm told you can route it behind the dash and the ecu will go "nearly" into place... you only need to extend a few dash connectors at that point... but I'd do it right to make it clean and extend the harness which leads me to-----vvvv----

The whole knock sensor setup is the only thing I'm not clear on... People say not to extend them because it causes problems in their operation (From wiring impedance, etc)
I wish more people would actually answer questions. I've put out about 4 or 5 questions and none of the people that have done the swap (or are at least very knowledgeable) have responded...

If/When I do my swap, I'll have it down pat, step by step with pictures and everything

And yes, the A/C compressor is the SAME, it bolts in the same place... so just like an SR20 swap, you disconnect the stock A/C compressor from the 2jz motor... pull the motor, swap in the 1jz without its A/C compressor, and then hook up your current compressor to the correct mount in the same place...
this allows you to keep the current system intact without having to discharge (and thus recharge) the A/C system...

Also I'm curious about aftermarket Y-pipes, since I can't seem to find any for a decent price (under $300)... I have seen some cheap ebay manifolds for 1jzs now tho... Pretty affordable to the point to if/when it cracks, you just buy another one lol
Old 04-11-05 | 03:38 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

What about the radiator fan shroud and rad hoses. It may just be 2jz swap you have to change. DO you need an mk4 supra turbo shroud and hoses
Old 04-11-05 | 04:17 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Just out of curiosity, what kind of power are stock or close to stock 1JZ's putting down? I would guess around 230-250ish, but I was wondering if anyone has a dyno?
Old 04-11-05 | 06:03 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by qtb33
Just out of curiosity, what kind of power are stock or close to stock 1JZ's putting down? I would guess around 230-250ish, but I was wondering if anyone has a dyno?
Your close.. 25x.00
Old 04-11-05 | 09:01 PM
bean_8044
Rookie

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Your close.. 25x.00
Flywheel probably, but at the wheels closer to 180-200
Old 04-11-05 | 09:06 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Your close.. 25x.00
remember thats BONE stock too stock exhaust system, stock y-pipe, stock boost, stock intake, etc...

with a y-pipe, intake, 3" turboback, I've seen 300whp and up on stockish boost levels

I say this because I can only assume that the typical engine-swap would at least include a downpipe, more than likely a catback and possibly a FMIC and/or y-pipe

Oh and I forgot... the 1jz sounds like sex
Old 04-11-05 | 09:22 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

im glad the 1jz is becoming such a popular motor swap nowadays, i just hope the clip prices dont start to reach 2jz gte levels because of demand, you can buy a nice 1jz front clip for under $2k, a 2jz is more around $5k
Old 04-11-05 | 09:57 PM
gowest
Driver

Originally Posted by qtb33
280hp at flywheel, but if crank boost up to 1.2 bar, change fuel pump to Skyline GT-R units(walbro will do), adjust fuel press to 3 bar, remove the cat. add down pipe, and that will give you 400hp. I got this info from OptionII magazine.

Quick Reply: 1JZ-GTE swap almost done