Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ-GTE swap almost done

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-05, 09:58 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beautiful car man I love the wheel/tire choices !!
Old 04-12-05, 07:24 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
remember thats BONE stock too stock exhaust system, stock y-pipe, stock boost, stock intake, etc...

with a y-pipe, intake, 3" turboback, I've seen 300whp and up on stockish boost levels

I say this because I can only assume that the typical engine-swap would at least include a downpipe, more than likely a catback and possibly a FMIC and/or y-pipe

Oh and I forgot... the 1jz sounds like sex
where do you get this "Y pipe" everyone speaks of ?
THANKS ON THE WHEELS !!
and does anyone know whats involved in the stock 2jz twins on 1jz engine ?

Last edited by 2.5tsoarer; 04-12-05 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 09:31 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
im glad the 1jz is becoming such a popular motor swap nowadays, i just hope the clip prices dont start to reach 2jz gte levels because of demand, you can buy a nice 1jz front clip for under $2k, a 2jz is more around $5k
There is a 2jz swap on Ebay for $2299 that includes the engine/tranny/ecu/harness.
Old 04-12-05, 10:52 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yeah but its a jdm aristo 2jz, arent there some major differences in the electronics and fuel delivery compared to the supra, also the turbos are different, i read that you have to change a lot of things to get the aristo engine to work with the soarer platform

Last edited by FortuneLS; 04-12-05 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-12-05, 10:56 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Its a JDM 2jz, completely different wiring harness than the USDM setup... has smaller injectors, smaller turbos, and lower duration cams

it also has an automatic tranny with it... let's not get confused over the differences here...

good deal imo nonetheless
Old 04-12-05, 11:00 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a JDM 2jz, completely different wiring harness than the USDM setup... has smaller injectors, smaller turbos, and lower duration cams

it also has an automatic tranny with it... let's not get confused over the differences here...

good deal imo nonetheless
exactly my thoughts bean, its next to impossible to find a usdm 2jz-gte engine/getrag/uncut harnss, and ecu for under $6k
Old 04-12-05, 02:07 PM
vududoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

knock sensors require shielded cable. the job normally is not as easy as plain wiring as that shielded wire also needs to be grounded if i remember correctly. also i believe that ground is tied in eslwhere in the wiring. So.....if you do a hack job on it the wire picks up engine vibration rather than engine knock and retards the ignition timing via ECU. there is your problem/ hopefully a better answer. Not totally hard to fix but one less problem you may want to introduce in an engine swap.
Old 04-12-05, 05:31 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
yeah but its a jdm aristo 2jz, arent there some major differences in the electronics and fuel delivery compared to the supra, also the turbos are different, i read that you have to change a lot of things to get the aristo engine to work with the soarer platform
The one I'm referring to is not the blue-top Aristo motor.. it's a 94-99 JDM Supra pull.
Old 04-12-05, 11:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Ah yes, I see that one too

A JDM 2jz-gte pulled from a SupraTT would prolly have similar if not exactly the same wiring setup as a USDM 2jz-gte install in regards to the SC300 (deriving this idea from the assumption that a JDM 2jz from a supra would bolt right in, plug and play, with a usdm supra chassis)

Vudoc, thank you for your input
How can one avoid having to extend the knock sensor wires? I'm just not sure how to do it? Do the knock sensor wires plug into the engine harness or something? (therefore you could unplug them and use the sensors and wires from the stock 2jz-ge)
Old 04-12-05, 11:29 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ah yes, I see that one too

A JDM 2jz-gte pulled from a SupraTT would prolly have similar if not exactly the same wiring setup as a USDM 2jz-gte install in regards to the SC300 (deriving this idea from the assumption that a JDM 2jz from a supra would bolt right in, plug and play, with a usdm supra chassis)

Vudoc, thank you for your input
How can one avoid having to extend the knock sensor wires? I'm just not sure how to do it? Do the knock sensor wires plug into the engine harness or something? (therefore you could unplug them and use the sensors and wires from the stock 2jz-ge)
For the knock sensors, some MK3 guys have started using USB cable to extend them. Do a search over on SF to get that info.

And not everything is the same between the JDM and US Supra TT motors. The turbos are different, as well as the injectors and a few other things.ECU's are probably not interchangable, due to the MAP vs. MAF systems. Though, most of the wiring should be the same, but dont quote me on that

Last edited by mteele; 04-12-05 at 11:32 PM.
Old 04-13-05, 12:44 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mteele
And not everything is the same between the JDM and US Supra TT motors. The turbos are different, as well as the injectors and a few other things.ECU's are probably not interchangable, due to the MAP vs. MAF systems. Though, most of the wiring should be the same, but dont quote me on that
Yes this is all common knowledge... i was referring to the dash connectors and chassis connectors NOT the engine harness (of course that's different)... the MEAT of the engine swap itself
Old 04-13-05, 01:20 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Congrats on the swap man. Told ya it was really straight forward. Now do me a favor and make sure you attend out next FL meet!!!!
Old 04-13-05, 02:33 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

can anyone explain exactly how to install the 2jz's 550cc injectors. resistors, mod to rail or swap to 2jz n/a . thanks in advance
Old 04-13-05, 07:08 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In regards to the wiring extending issue with the 1jz, I once found a few companies that sold a wiring extension. I believe Fields make one and then some guy made a better one because people were complaining about the Fields one.
Old 04-13-05, 08:43 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
can anyone explain exactly how to install the 2jz's 550cc injectors. resistors, mod to rail or swap to 2jz n/a . thanks in advance
The injectors for the gte rail do not fit the ge rail.

Quick Reply: 1JZ-GTE swap almost done