Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some questions on the 2jz-gte/ge and 1jz swaps...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-05, 05:35 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
ummmm

you put in a 1jz and plug in the harness and you're done... only involves extending some wires

for a 2jz, you've got a lot more work ahead...
the wiring is more complicated dropping it into an SC300 since the car never came with it, etc... Chassis/dash harnesses are completely different than the Supra counterpart, etc

Its kind of elementary, how much do you know about the turbocharging options/aspects of SC300s?

Why do you think there's a manual out there being sold for $150+ that gives you detailed info for swapping the 2jz-gte over into an SC300? There doesnt need to be one for the 1jz,because its one of the easiest swaps in existence.

Plus
1jz + tranny + harness + ECU = $1000-$1200 if you know the right places
usdm 2jz-gte + V160 + harness + ECU = $5000+

Not hard to do the math... the extra $3500 being dropped in the 2jz would buy you a single kit, upgraded fuel, and a few other goodies for the 1jz and would make much more power
I know the 2jz-gte platform very well.. I'm just here to do the research about swapping it into the sc300. Of course the motor/tranny fall right into place I suppose.. I was thinking about using a us-spec harness/ecu to simplify things. I don't want the 6spd - so my swap won't be $5k. I can do all the work myself.. I just finished a swap on an mr2 - and it was some what of a pain. So what is exactly about the 2jz swap that is hard? You can PM if you'd like - not to cluttler this thread.
Old 04-12-05, 08:24 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a manual sold by a guy in Hawaii that covers all the hard parts of the swap, mainly the wiring. Phil Audridge or something like that...cant remember exactly

And US spec and Jap spec stuff isnt interchangeable, since the two GTE motors are different. Off the top of my head, the injectors are different. I'm sure there is other stuff. Search on here and SF, and you should find out.
Old 04-12-05, 08:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
I know the 2jz-gte platform very well.. I'm just here to do the research about swapping it into the sc300. Of course the motor/tranny fall right into place I suppose.. I was thinking about using a us-spec harness/ecu to simplify things. I don't want the 6spd - so my swap won't be $5k. I can do all the work myself.. I just finished a swap on an mr2 - and it was some what of a pain. So what is exactly about the 2jz swap that is hard? You can PM if you'd like - not to cluttler this thread.
Well its good info to have out there

the 2jz-gte is NOT a drop in for a SC300, I dont know the complete specifics of it; but there's a reason a lot of people don't undertake it... less than the amount of say... RB25s going into 240sx's or something

Ok, so you don't want the tranny... you'll still be spending over $4k at least... prolly more than that... and yes I was assuming you'd be doing the work yourself

What difference does a US spec harness and ECU have to do with it? the JDM 2jz-gte will not accept a usdm harness, different air metering system, different chassis harnesses, etc...

I'm thinking you're not quite understanding what is involved in a 2jz-gte swap into a SC300...

the SC300 and Supra have the same chassis (albeit extended on the SC300) and have a lot of similar and the same suspension and drivetrain components (one usually works with the other)
but the chassis harness and dash harnesses are very different... it doesnt matter what us-spec harness you use or attempt to adapt, you're still stuck with the SC300 dash and chassis harnesses...

the 1jz from the soarer on the other hand, uses the same dash connectors and chassis connectors as the US-spec SC300... its plug and play aside from extending wires...

Its not some JDM vs USDM thing... its that the 2jz-gte never came in the SC300 and will not work without a lot of wiring work (which is fully documented in a swap book for a price)...
Old 04-12-05, 11:31 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well written post Bean!
Old 04-13-05, 01:36 AM
RideZX-6R
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mteele
Well written post Bean!
exactly ....
Helped me out a good deal too...

So ... 1JZ-GTE with an auto.... Sounds like the plan.... now where do I start looking?
Old 04-13-05, 08:48 AM
RjRacing
Driver

Well its good info to have out there

the 2jz-gte is NOT a drop in for a SC300, I dont know the complete specifics of it; but there's a reason a lot of people don't undertake it... less than the amount of say... RB25s going into 240sx's or something

Ok, so you don't want the tranny... you'll still be spending over $4k at least... prolly more than that... and yes I was assuming you'd be doing the work yourself

What difference does a US spec harness and ECU have to do with it? the JDM 2jz-gte will not accept a usdm harness, different air metering system, different chassis harnesses, etc...

I'm thinking you're not quite understanding what is involved in a 2jz-gte swap into a SC300...

the SC300 and Supra have the same chassis (albeit extended on the SC300) and have a lot of similar and the same suspension and drivetrain components (one usually works with the other)
but the chassis harness and dash harnesses are very different... it doesnt matter what us-spec harness you use or attempt to adapt, you're still stuck with the SC300 dash and chassis harnesses...

the 1jz from the soarer on the other hand, uses the same dash connectors and chassis connectors as the US-spec SC300... its plug and play aside from extending wires...

Its not some JDM vs USDM thing... its that the 2jz-gte never came in the SC300 and will not work without a lot of wiring work (which is fully documented in a swap book for a price)...
Well put, but one thing you also must understand is there may not be many SC300's with GTE swaps but how many N/A supra's are there with JDM GTE swaps? Its basically the same thing and there are 100's of NA-TT swaps out there. You make the swap sound impossible, the engine drops in and bolts you your remaining drivetrain, and all you really have alittle plumbing and a lot of wiring. Now this isn't as easy as swapping Honda engines, but if you have ever done a swap before, this shouldn't be out of your league.
The way I look at it is why would you swap an engine (1jz) that has less potential then your current engine if built. The 1JZ is stepping down in my mind and the 2JZGTE is stepping up.
Old 04-13-05, 12:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RjRacing
Well put, but one thing you also must understand is there may not be many SC300's with GTE swaps but how many N/A supra's are there with JDM GTE swaps? Its basically the same thing and there are 100's of NA-TT swaps out there. You make the swap sound impossible, the engine drops in and bolts you your remaining drivetrain, and all you really have alittle plumbing and a lot of wiring. Now this isn't as easy as swapping Honda engines, but if you have ever done a swap before, this shouldn't be out of your league.
The way I look at it is why would you swap an engine (1jz) that has less potential then your current engine if built. The 1JZ is stepping down in my mind and the 2JZGTE is stepping up.
Oh its not impossible, its just not very easy; harder than a SR20 swap for sure... I was commenting on the "Ease of installation utilizing a US-spec harness" because it won't make any difference

As for NA Supras with JDM 2jz swaps, I'm not sure... that MIGHT be a great idea actually... I think I may ask in the N/A section over there to see if anyone has done that... definitely cheaper to pick up a JDM clip than a good NA-T kit

2jz-ge makes 222hp and like ~200ft-lbs of torque stock... around 175-180whp depending on tune... put on a nice exhaust and intake and lean your fuel a bit, you'll maybe bump up to 190whp with a manual transmission

1jz-gte makes 280hp and ~280ft-lbs of torque stock... about 250whp depending on tune... put a 3" turboback, upgraded y-pipe, intake, and raise the boost to around 13-14psi and you'll be making 300-330whp...

I don't see how this is stepping down?
Difference between JDM 2jz and 1jz is not near as much as a USDM 2jz vs a 1jz... the JDM 2jz still has ceramic turbines, smaller turbo flow,etc, etc... maybe around 30whp I'd imagine would be the difference...
JDM 2jz doesnt cost a whole lot more than a 1jz, maybe $1000 or so... which makes it worth it if you're willing to undergo the wiring... a lot of us could do it with our eyes closed...

the USDM 2jz, which would be an "upgrade" in my mind, costs OVER 3 times as much as a 1jz... for about 70whp more with the right boltons...

Yes this is a step up, but not worth it for the price IMO... for that price difference, you could pick up a T61 single kit for a 1jz and drop the USDM 2jz injectors in and make 500whp (i know there's more to it than that, but not much)...

REMEMBER, the JDM 1jz and 2jz both make 280hp, and neither one is underrated, its the USDM 2jz that is underrated...
Old 04-13-05, 01:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RideZX-6R
exactly ....
Helped me out a good deal too...

So ... 1JZ-GTE with an auto.... Sounds like the plan.... now where do I start looking?
supraforums has a nice cache of 1jz info in the MKIII sub-forum (under 1jz/2jz swaps)
I saw a exporter mentioned there by someone who got a Soarer clip for around $1200 i think... jhotexports.com

i'm not sure if the JZA70 1jz clip is the same as a Soarer clip; i am pretty sure the dash/chassis harnesses are different, but I have no clue when it comes to the engine plugs/sensors themselves... (which might allow one to use a soarer ecu and harness but a jza70 supra motor)
if you're swapping a SC300, get a Soarer clip; they are cheaper anyways...

stock tranny will bolt up to 1jz.... i'll end up using my manual and sell the auto prolly
Old 04-13-05, 01:30 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your info bean. My comment on using a US Spec harness/ECU was that the JDM harness/ECU is to length for a right hand drive car.. I figured using the US Spec stuff it would eliminate some extending of wires.. is that not right? Thanks
Old 04-14-05, 05:56 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for your info bean. My comment on using a US Spec harness/ECU was that the JDM harness/ECU is to length for a right hand drive car.. I figured using the US Spec stuff it would eliminate some extending of wires.. is that not right? Thanks
nah its not right... there is no us-spec 1jz harness... so you're stuck with the 2jz-ge harness on the SC300 if you dont want to extend wires...
2jz-ge uses karman vortex and distributor ignition and has completely different plugs all around than the 1jz-gte... which means it will be way out of most people's league and a serious pain in the ***... (definitely not worth it)...

its like walking 500 miles or driving it... sure you might be able to walk 500 miles, and then walk 500 more (*laughs*)... but why not drive? its easier, it'll cost less (won't need to pay for food or lodging since you can get there in 8 hours), and you'll get there faster (8 hours vs weeks?)
Old 04-14-05, 07:13 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

All my questions have been referring to the 2jz-gte swap.. it seems your thinking 1jz?
Old 04-14-05, 08:17 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

All my questions have been referring to the 2jz-gte swap.. it seems your thinking 1jz?
Yeah sorry lol

This thread is specificly titled to 1jz swaps, and questions on the 2jz... i didnt realize

yeah, I dunno about keeping the USDM harness for the JDM Supra...
the ECU and harness for the JDM model is very different pin-wise than the USDM counterpart...
just look at the ECU plug for an example... looks nothing like a US-spec 2jz-gte pinout

I'd swap the harness over... it will be more difficult to use an engine harness and ecu on a motor that wasnt designed for it... (map vs maf, distributor vs coil packs, cam sensor vs distributor teeth, etc)... that doesnt sound simple to me at all
Old 04-14-05, 09:35 PM
riot8088
Rookie

Bean, didn't you leave out driveshaft: ijz +r154 tranny + ecu + wiring harness + driveshaft. You can't just do the 1jz/r154 swap without doing something to the driveshaft.
Old 04-14-05, 10:01 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I don't plan on using the R154... so thats no issue with me

as for the R154 driveshaft, take your original driveshaft, the input shaft from a MKIII supra turbo, take them to a driveline shop and have it custom fitted for your application
not very hard
Old 04-15-05, 08:45 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah sorry lol

This thread is specificly titled to 1jz swaps, and questions on the 2jz... i didnt realize

yeah, I dunno about keeping the USDM harness for the JDM Supra...
the ECU and harness for the JDM model is very different pin-wise than the USDM counterpart...
just look at the ECU plug for an example... looks nothing like a US-spec 2jz-gte pinout

I'd swap the harness over... it will be more difficult to use an engine harness and ecu on a motor that wasnt designed for it... (map vs maf, distributor vs coil packs, cam sensor vs distributor teeth, etc)... that doesnt sound simple to me at all
Ok. here goes- The JDM & USDM gte's are basically one in the same. The only electronic difference I can think of on the two motor is the map[jdm] and maf[us]. When the ECU/harness is changed over this should be the only change.. unless you think the 440cc's in the JDM motor will result in a lean condition from the USDM Ecu looking for 550's. The camshafts are slightly different, but havn't been proven as a powerloss, the turbos are slightly smaller, 440cc fuel system[jdm] to a 550cc fuel system[us] .. I'm sure that's all been cleared up. My thought of using the us harness/ecu was based on the fact that the jdm harness should have to be extended to reach body connectors inside the car. What do you think about that? I'm not sure yet if I see where the complication is in this swap.. obviously its based on the wiring differences. I need to find a wiring diagram for the tt supra, na supra, and sc300 lex. From there I might see the difference with ease.. any other thoughts Bean? I'm just trying to clear up this problem, thanks for your help.

Chris

Quick Reply: Some questions on the 2jz-gte/ge and 1jz swaps...