Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Some questions on the 2jz-gte/ge and 1jz swaps...

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-05, 11:43 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to clublexus. Where in PA are you located? I am in Allentown until next friday

Bang for the buck= 1jz swap....

If you choose the 2jz-gte you will end up spending around 10k all together.

Where as a 1jz cost about 1,500 for engine/trans depending on where you get it from and is a direct bolt in and wires right up.
Old 04-15-05, 12:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Ok. here goes- The JDM & USDM gte's are basically one in the same. The only electronic difference I can think of on the two motor is the map[jdm] and maf[us]. When the ECU/harness is changed over this should be the only change.. unless you think the 440cc's in the JDM motor will result in a lean condition from the USDM Ecu looking for 550's. The camshafts are slightly different, but havn't been proven as a powerloss, the turbos are slightly smaller, 440cc fuel system[jdm] to a 550cc fuel system[us] .. I'm sure that's all been cleared up. My thought of using the us harness/ecu was based on the fact that the jdm harness should have to be extended to reach body connectors inside the car. What do you think about that? I'm not sure yet if I see where the complication is in this swap.. obviously its based on the wiring differences. I need to find a wiring diagram for the tt supra, na supra, and sc300 lex. From there I might see the difference with ease.. any other thoughts Bean? I'm just trying to clear up this problem, thanks for your help.

Chris
i see, you mean a USDM GTE harness... my bad...
ok the problem with that is, I'm not sure if the JDM motor would be plug and play with the USDM harness (besides just the maf vs map which is a HUGE issue btw)

I'm not sure because the pinouts (the ecu plugs) on the JDM and USDM motors are COMPLETELY different... check out Apexi's website with their pinout info for various motors... since they arent the same, it makes me wonder if the other plugs are different too...

biggest issue would be converting map to maf (i'd wanna go the OTHER direction actually)... and the USDM ecu isnot equipped to deal with it (and you cant use the JDM ECU with the us harness)...

sounds like more trouble than its worth just to get around extending some wires... albeit, a lot of wires it'd be a fun thing to do on a rainy saturday on the back porch
Old 04-15-05, 01:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Posted up a thread over in the NA-T section of supraforums and got some interesting responses about the JDM 2jz install into a NA Supra...

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=275518
Old 04-15-05, 03:19 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

I'm over at Supra Forums under the same name.. my friend has already swapped a JDM motor into a NA Supra and has basically made it a US-Spec motor. He changed the ecu/harness over to US & also used US Spec turbos & fuel..
Old 04-16-05, 12:42 AM
lextildeth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read this whole topic(3 pages so far), and I am learning more than I had hoped about this swap. What I mean is, it seems that I can not do what I wanted to do based on this info. I just totalled my 1997 ES300 exactly a week ago. I put thousands into it: suspension, rims, custom lights, engine mods all custom, etc.I was going to buy headers for it this month or next totalling about 260 horsepower with all mods combined. It was going to be so special. Long story short, the accident was my fault and I am screwed over by the insurance money I am getting back. I refuse to drive anything besides Lexus! Read my user name. I am kinda broke and I saw a 1994 SC for sale for $3,500 with 141,000 miles. It says it is an SC400 with a 6 cyl engine- obviously a typo so I don't know what kinda engine it has. Whatever it is, I want to swap out the engine for one with less mileage and more power. It is auto. I want to keep the tranny and keep it as simple as possible, sacrificing horsepower for simplicity. I only need high 200s or low 300s. Price is key too. I dumped lots of money into my baby and now it is smashed and worthless. I have read the whole topic and still am kinda confused. Simply based on my needs and expectations, what is the "BEST" swap for me? Again, I am not looking for 600 hp.
Thanks in advance for some suggestions.
Anthony
Old 04-16-05, 02:36 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I'm over at Supra Forums under the same name.. my friend has already swapped a JDM motor into a NA Supra and has basically made it a US-Spec motor. He changed the ecu/harness over to US & also used US Spec turbos & fuel..
well if thats true, then how'd he do the MAP vs MAF swap? and how'd he get the US ecu to work with the MAP sensor? or did he not by using the maf sensor instead and not using the map sensor at all?
Old 04-16-05, 02:38 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lextildeth
I just read this whole topic(3 pages so far), and I am learning more than I had hoped about this swap. What I mean is, it seems that I can not do what I wanted to do based on this info. I just totalled my 1997 ES300 exactly a week ago. I put thousands into it: suspension, rims, custom lights, engine mods all custom, etc.I was going to buy headers for it this month or next totalling about 260 horsepower with all mods combined. It was going to be so special. Long story short, the accident was my fault and I am screwed over by the insurance money I am getting back. I refuse to drive anything besides Lexus! Read my user name. I am kinda broke and I saw a 1994 SC for sale for $3,500 with 141,000 miles. It says it is an SC400 with a 6 cyl engine- obviously a typo so I don't know what kinda engine it has. Whatever it is, I want to swap out the engine for one with less mileage and more power. It is auto. I want to keep the tranny and keep it as simple as possible, sacrificing horsepower for simplicity. I only need high 200s or low 300s. Price is key too. I dumped lots of money into my baby and now it is smashed and worthless. I have read the whole topic and still am kinda confused. Simply based on my needs and expectations, what is the "BEST" swap for me? Again, I am not looking for 600 hp.
Thanks in advance for some suggestions.
Anthony
if Its truly an SC300, then a 1jz swap is the best bang for the buck; end of discussion
boltons on a 1jz = 300whp+ and you can find the engine sets for <$1500 and its plug and play (other than extending the harness)
Old 04-16-05, 08:51 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
well if thats true, then how'd he do the MAP vs MAF swap? and how'd he get the US ecu to work with the MAP sensor? or did he not by using the maf sensor instead and not using the map sensor at all?
Converted over to MAF..
Old 04-16-05, 03:39 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Converted over to MAF..
aha! makes sense

in that case, it would be pretty easy; injector plugs are the same... what about the various sensors on the motor? knock sensor, pressure sensor, water temp, etc
Old 04-16-05, 05:45 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

aha! makes sense

in that case, it would be pretty easy; injector plugs are the same... what about the various sensors on the motor? knock sensor, pressure sensor, water temp, etc
Well he's done the swap twice.. and he says everything was the same, but that's on a Supra. I can't even begin to comment on the Lexus. I'm looking for an SC300 to do the swap to if a Supra doesn't show up..
Old 04-16-05, 06:22 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Wow! thats pretty sweet... that definitely leaves a few more options open for the car...
Old 04-16-05, 10:12 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Wow! thats pretty sweet... that definitely leaves a few more options open for the car...
Well it's a good candidate as everything fits into place.. it's all in the wiring the best I can tell when swapping into the Lexus. Are there any diagrams out there we can look at and maybe find the differences on paper?
Old 04-17-05, 12:28 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

nothing that i have ever found

phil auldridge has it out there... but you know the price
Old 04-17-05, 09:03 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

nothing that i have ever found

phil auldridge has it out there... but you know the price
Yeh I'm sure it's worth it for the Lexus.. but the Supra should be a no-brainer and done with ease - especially with the US Spec harness/ECU..
Old 04-26-05, 01:49 PM
LexusLimit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify things. I know I'm new to this forum, but not new to supraforums. I've done the NA-TT swap. The US harness, ecu whether auto or 6spd is interchangeable with the JDM harness or ecu. I'm running a jdm 6spd tranny, ecu with a US spec harness. The difference in the jdm and us harness is the length. JDM harness is shorter because its on the Right Hand Drive. Everything else is exactly plug and play. On the SC300 if you decide to do a 6spd transmission swap then you need to change the differential and extend the 6spd driveshaft in order to run the car perfectly.

Quick Reply: Some questions on the 2jz-gte/ge and 1jz swaps...