Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

When Running Single Exhaust, How Do You Fill in the Other Hole in the Bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05, 05:20 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tacomantt
Just mount a fake extender. You'll get the looks you want easier that way.
Im pretty sure they're looking for the "sexier" single exhaust look (not that i think it looks good)

All you would have to do is fiberglass, then bondo filler over the glass, then spray. You dont even have to take it to a shop, it really is a simple DIY bodywork job
Old 04-20-05, 08:13 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think there are issues with fiberglass and urethane/ABS bumpers. The fiberglass wont stick right. If you do get it to stick, it will crack eventually (and by eventually i mean soon). There are certain shops that work with ABS plastic and urethane bumpers that deal specifically with repairing stock body parts. Look into that before you waste time trying to get it to stick and ruining your paint. If you can get it to work reliably power to you.

If you have an aftermarket lip or bumper that already is fiberglass then it will be a simple DIY.
Old 04-21-05, 04:12 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rscott
i think there are issues with fiberglass and urethane/ABS bumpers. The fiberglass wont stick right. If you do get it to stick, it will crack eventually (and by eventually i mean soon). There are certain shops that work with ABS plastic and urethane bumpers that deal specifically with repairing stock body parts. Look into that before you waste time trying to get it to stick and ruining your paint. If you can get it to work reliably power to you.

If you have an aftermarket lip or bumper that already is fiberglass then it will be a simple DIY.

You are absolutely correct.

I have wanted to get mine done but cannot due to the reason above. One small knock or bang and that "Mod" will be the first place to crack. I have an AutoCouture full body kit on the way from Japan and I am not sure if the extra hole will be able to be filled, will have to see when the kit gets here.

Worst comes to worst I can always try to run 2 HKS Superdraggers instead of the one maybe, dunno if that is possible yet, cost seems to be the biggest factor as it will cost well over $1500 to purchase and install another Superdragger just because I want the rear to look symmetrical...

Old 04-21-05, 08:57 AM
V8RWDHP
Driver

If you use the proper material to fill it it won't crack. A brand called duramix makes plastic repair products and so does 3M. I use Duramix 40-40 for rigid plastics and 40-30 for flexible plastics. You need a specific caulk type gun to use them but, it's worth the cost. Plastic welding is also an option, as someone had mentioned. A combination of plastic welding and a plastic repair filler would be what I would do for ABS or urethane. All of these options are no fun to sand unless you have air with a grinder and a DA.

Last edited by V8RWDHP; 04-21-05 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 08:39 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Originally Posted by V8RWDHP
If you use the proper material to fill it it won't crack. A brand called duramix makes plastic repair products and so does 3M. I use Duramix 40-40 for rigid plastics and 40-30 for flexible plastics. You need a specific caulk type gun to use them but, it's worth the cost. Plastic welding is also an option, as someone had mentioned. A combination of plastic welding and a plastic repair filler would be what I would do for ABS. All of these options are no fun to sand unless you have air with a grinder and a DA.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I do have a compressor at home with all the tools needed. Where can I purchase Duramix 40-30?
Old 04-21-05, 09:29 PM
V8RWDHP
Driver

Originally Posted by RjRacing
This is exactly what I was looking for. I do have a compressor at home with all the tools needed. Where can I purchase Duramix 40-30?

All my local paint suppliers carry it. If for some reason yours doesn't, they should carry an equivalent product by 3M or another company. The guns used to dispense them usually run between $50-$100, and they are specific to there products. I wouldn't fill the hole with solid 40-30. I would first glue a patch piece of plastic in with it, and then level it with more applications. Work fast because you have maybe 3 minutes of work time. If you lay multiple apllications, scuff in between layers or lay the following layer before the previous layer fully cures. Scuff with 80 grit or lower before you apply and this stuff will stick to anything forever. Use a good flexible body filler for the last thin coat and, if done right, the job will last forever
Old 05-09-05, 08:18 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Here's my car:
Old 05-09-05, 08:50 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

A. Whats with the sticker
B. Whats with the sponge bob
C. You live in california, me too, where are you located at?
D. Thats a huge exhaust
E. Like others said, just do a DIY Fiberglass job, make sure to have lots of sand paper

Good luck
Old 05-09-05, 08:52 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

A. Option is tight
B. Spongebob is tight
C. So Cal. Inland Empire region
D. 4 inches
Old 05-09-05, 09:11 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by indelible
Here's my car:
sponge bob !!!!!!!! lol your my hero! hahaha. thats just too funny
Old 05-09-05, 10:16 PM
Gamer
Pole Position

lol, Sponge Bob... what a babe magnet he must be.
Old 05-10-05, 11:50 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U actually drive around w Sponge Bob danglin like that?
Old 05-10-05, 12:13 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by xknowonex
U actually drive around w Sponge Bob danglin like that?
You're right, it's not safe for him. Should i get him a recaro seat, One of those cell phone holders?
Old 05-11-05, 03:47 PM
leostunts
Driver School Candidate

Cheap easy way to fill that hole is adding a back-up light from pepboys or autozone?

We have poor vision when we back up anyways.
Old 05-11-05, 07:46 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Originally Posted by leostunts
Cheap easy way to fill that hole is adding a back-up light from pepboys or autozone?

We have poor vision when we back up anyways.
Please tell me your joking. How ugly would that be on a clean SC.

Quick Reply: When Running Single Exhaust, How Do You Fill in the Other Hole in the Bumper?