Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC 400 Nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-05, 03:07 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
SCmist what brand and which kit were you running
any pics of it installed ?

the new NOSzle kit from NOS (holley) looks promising as well!
100-300 shot
Het Teg whats the deal with this new kit. Whats different ?
Old 04-21-05, 03:41 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are worried about intakes blowing up, stick to a dry NOS system. They are pretty safe. I used to run a 75 dry shot made by NOS about 7-8 years ago in my SC3. Engine held up fine with stock everything. Most of the dangerous stuff you hear about usually has to do with wet kits where you inject a fuel+N02 mixture into the TB. Stick with dry kits and the risk of blow back is very small. The SCs are built well so anything upto a 100 shot should be tolerable on stock equipment. If you go higher, you might want to reinforce the fuel supply just incase.
Old 04-22-05, 08:21 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually isent it the other way around, when you run a dry system you get more of a kick, but the risk is higher that you well end up leaning out wich means the fuel to nos ratio gose more to the nos than the fuel wich means you end up going BOOM , if you run wet you are spraying the fuel an the nos so its less of a risk, the wet systems are the safer ones.
Old 04-22-05, 10:40 AM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its a good idea to upgrade your fuel pump to a walbro just to be safe imo. It will have no negative impact on the car accept allow more flow when you need it most.

so the Zex wet only goes up to 125? Is the zex fuel pump an inline booster or in tank?

The NOSzle system info is all right here 100 - 300 shot
www.nosnitrous.com my internet is being screwy so you'll have to look on their site for it
Old 04-22-05, 03:24 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

The higher kick systems are wet systems. There are risks with both though. With the dry, you risk running lean and burning a hole through your piston. With the wet, the danger is in blow back where the fuel/02 mixture that is flowing through the intake and TB ignites and explodes. The wet augments fuel delivery by spraying fuel with N02. You can kill your engine going both ways. BUT usually the safer bet is dry. You don't risk any personal injury. That being said, if you stay well below a 100hp shot, the stock pump should be fine. Like it was said above, you can't go wrong with installing a higher flow fuel pump, but you'll be fine with stock if you go 50 or even 75 shot. Anything above that, get a new pump.
Old 04-23-05, 08:05 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,334 Likes on 1,059 Posts

OK now I am a little confused. One says the the wet sytem are the safer of the two and one says Dry is safer. My question is reguarding the SC 400. Any experienced help on which is safer and yes I am going to install the high flow fuel pumps.
Old 04-23-05, 08:16 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Well both can be dangerous for the car. The only one that could possibly cause you physical harm is the wet. A blow back is explosive. Hood flying up, engine on fire, the whole shebang. But the pay-off in HP is much greater. Most high power nitrous systems are wet. Now a lean mix in a dry system causing detonation can cause damage, but usually not as dramatic as a wet. You may crack the block, the piston, rod, crank, valves and eveything else if the event is powerful enough, but not as physically dangerous to you the driver as a wet. If you're gonna get a heavy duty fuel pump, stick to dry and don't lean it out. It will be pretty safe and not cause any problems. Like I said, I had a 75 shot in my SC300 with stock fuel pump and it ran fine, no detonation.

Last edited by T0ked; 04-23-05 at 08:19 PM.
Old 04-23-05, 10:01 PM
chrisman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, toked is right.. because efi engines-intake manifolds- are not designed to pass fuel, just air.. the fuel may have a tendancy to puddle in the intake manifold because it is not distributed well.. for example, the v8 intake has the throttle body pointing straight into a wall.. the fuel, because it is heavier, will tend to run into the wall, while the air flow tends to turn quickly.. other intakes are far worse at moving fuel, like most modern plastic intake manifolds.. and i have seen newer cars intakes blow up, and the car hoods do fly open, and the car is engulfed in a real fire.. but it is rare and unlikely.. but il say it again, nitrous will give you a dramatic increase in power, and cant be beat for hp per dollar..