Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So, the countdown begins....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-05 | 04:42 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

sounds good. ill drive if i have to... i can fit my tools in the trunk with room to spare. ill just have to get all that crap out that is taking up space. i cant get a truck, but we will get the comressor there if we have to. did you talk to peter and see if we can use it? i think he has a hoist too, but not sure.
Old 04-20-05 | 05:01 PM
ChallenSup
Driver

He's Bsing you guys. He's just getting his blown tranny rebuilt at MrTransmission in Gainesville. It's going back together with an ACT clutch. It will be back together next week.

j/k
Old 04-20-05 | 07:57 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
sounds good. ill drive if i have to... i can fit my tools in the trunk with room to spare. ill just have to get all that crap out that is taking up space. i cant get a truck, but we will get the comressor there if we have to. did you talk to peter and see if we can use it? i think he has a hoist too, but not sure.
fine dont ride with me..........
Old 04-20-05 | 08:24 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

document!

and i mean everything...so us so cal guys can rock the motor swap so cal style...carne asada and beer.

But really, so many others would be grateful for a detailed documented process. My MAJOR concern with doing the swap is the wiring harness. as far as exactly how long it needs to be extended and the cabin harness junction block. Will it plug right in and have everything work?

Vids would be great. filecloud is a great host and PMing the link to people shouldnt be too much of a problem, swearing or not.
This is becoming a serious consideration of mine and i would love to do it but am hesitant because so many loose ends have been left untied and questions left unanswered. Sign me up for whatever info you guys are willing to offer.
Old 04-20-05 | 08:48 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by mteele
I guess no one cares

Anyways, I'll be taking a TON of pictures and hopefully some video along the way, so stay tuned.
go mteele!!!!

how do you intend to deal with the harness? extend it or put it in on the driver side and loop it around and just extend the dash and chassis harnesses?
I am going to do the latter... lemme know

Last edited by Bean; 04-20-05 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-20-05 | 08:49 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by guessd
Turboing a car is easier than pulling a motor. But Mteele, have fun.
after you've turbocharged a SC300 and spent all the money on everything... you can come back and make this statement if you still agree with it...
Old 04-20-05 | 09:44 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

chino, the key in thet sentance was (if i have to)!! i dont want to drive, but i will if i need to get more tools there. ill ride with you.

as for the documentation. i talked to matt, and we are disgussing the idea of video taping everything, and having it professionally edited by some friends of ours. then we could make it available to anyone who would be interested along with wiring diagrams, and writen instructions for a small fee. what do you guys think of this idea?
Old 04-20-05 | 10:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

sounds like a good idea... in fact i was contemplating the same thing... tho i'd do the editing and stuff myself and provide the information free but as long as its a small fee, i dont see a problem with it
Old 04-20-05 | 10:50 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Still toying with the idea. It really just came up tonight.

Bean, ignore guessd, he just hates the 1JZ for no good reason

I just planned on extending the main harness, but when everyone gets here and it comes time to decide, we'll talk about it.

Questions off the top of my head we need to address:
-Knock sensor wires (USB cable is what the MK3 guys use, still need to research it.
-Water jump transfer over from the 2JZ-GTE. (removal of the 1JZ hydro fan, and the transfer over of a 2JZ pully and clutch fan)
-Getting the SC's gauges to work

Other then that, I dont know what else we have to address. Only one I'm worried about is the water pump issue.
Old 04-21-05 | 08:14 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

I just planned on extending the main harness, but when everyone gets here and it comes time to decide, we'll talk about it.

-Knock sensor wires (USB cable is what the MK3 guys use, still need to research it.
-Water jump transfer over from the 2JZ-GTE. (removal of the 1JZ hydro fan, and the transfer over of a 2JZ pully and clutch fan)

Other then that, I dont know what else we have to address. Only one I'm worried about is the water pump issue.
I can call my friend in Coral Springs who did the swap on my car and find everything out whenever we are actually doing the swap.

Only thing im worried about is not getting a ticket driving up there.. I've been boostless for 4 months now besides driving the Supercharged C230 in the shop, and the new C32 we got last week
Old 04-21-05 | 10:43 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

LMAO

I think I have the whole water pump issue figured out, and knock sensors so we should be good. Now if people would just stop telling me a million different ways to extend the harness
Old 04-21-05 | 12:36 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

congrats can't wait to see finished product. im debating this swap also. guessd stop hating on the 1jz so much lol.
Old 04-21-05 | 12:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

i don't think he hates the 1jz, he does hate on it however
we've had a conversation about it... but i KNOW an engine pull is alot easier than installing a NA-T turbokit... hell i've installed 3, 2 different ones on my own car as a matter of fact

are you running a Soarer clip? Soarer's have clutchfans, not hydrofans... easy way to look at the motor and tell what its from (and checking the oilpan to make sure its not from a JZX90)

so far as the guages, if its from a soarer pull; then it should be plug and play... heard the tach can sometimes work and sometimes not work...
Old 04-21-05 | 02:22 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Yeah, the tach is what I'm wondering on.

For the whole waterpump/hydrofan issue, I guess I just kinda assumed that it was the same between the Supra and Soarer So I guess it will be a lot easier and cheaper to replace the water pump then I originally thought, lol.
Old 04-21-05 | 03:49 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 10,000

Just talked to Jarco, the clip will be here tomorrow at about 2:00pm

Quick Reply: So, the countdown begins....