Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Oil Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-05, 07:07 PM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak Help

My 95 sc300 is leaking oil. I am not sure where from, but when looking under the car, the oil is dripping from where the engine and tranny meet. I inspected it from the top, and towards the end of the engine, theirs oil build up right under the valve cover. I cannot see at the very end of the valve cover, so I am guessing the valve cover needs to be replaced. Is it possible for the oil from the valve cover to drip all the way down to where it is leaking from? I can tackle the valve cover gasket myself, just need to know if it is the source of my problem.
Old 04-27-05, 07:31 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For future referance, the Engine & Transmission section is used for posts like this

sounds like pictures or something might be useful.

If you're getting a leak from the engine/transmission section, it could be your rear main seal (cheap parts, labor intensive)

If it is the valve cover gasket, that's pretty simple, as you've already stated.

I'd try to nose around with a flashlight and trace the path of the oil.

I know you recently posted it, but what's the current milage on the car, and do you have any of the service records?

John
Old 04-27-05, 10:25 PM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
For future referance, the Engine & Transmission section is used for posts like this

sounds like pictures or something might be useful.

If you're getting a leak from the engine/transmission section, it could be your rear main seal (cheap parts, labor intensive)

If it is the valve cover gasket, that's pretty simple, as you've already stated.

I'd try to nose around with a flashlight and trace the path of the oil.

I know you recently posted it, but what's the current milage on the car, and do you have any of the service records?

John
does the engine have to be dropped down for the rear main seal? i recently cleaned my engine with degreaser so i can get rid of all the dirt and grease so i can clearly see where the oil is leaking from. the car has 150K, and had its timing, flush, tranny service at 101k(records). if the engine needs to be dropped, my brother can do it, but he just needs a car lift so its in the air.
Old 04-28-05, 03:58 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PlatSilvSc
does the engine have to be dropped down for the rear main seal? i recently cleaned my engine with degreaser so i can get rid of all the dirt and grease so i can clearly see where the oil is leaking from. the car has 150K, and had its timing, flush, tranny service at 101k(records). if the engine needs to be dropped, my brother can do it, but he just needs a car lift so its in the air.
No, but the tranny does. Its not fun at all, but then again its not THAT hard, just make sure you install the seal correctly the FIRST time. I had to do mine a total of 5 (FIVE!!) times to finally get that seal right. But now I can drop my tranny in my driveway in about 2 hours
Old 04-28-05, 08:50 AM
PlatSilvSc
Rookie

is their a written instruction on how to do this correctly? or pictures might help too.