Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-05, 12:52 PM
lalaland
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice DIY write up, on the other hand, i have been told that the original resonator in the soarer for the NA cars is actually benifitial and performs better than the set up outlined.
Old 05-09-05, 04:28 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I decided to post the pics early:, I drew the circle, drilled holes, cut out the circle w/a dremel smoothed it out, then put a hose around the hole. I don't know what the pipe was originally from, my friend cut off a piece of this pipe before for his custom CAI in his silvia.

Old 05-10-05, 01:32 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tryk Racing
for the possible few horsepower this mod might gain you, it really isn't worth it. I have replaced engines in cars with cold air intakes because of hydrolocking. All it takes is one big puddle to suck enough water into the engine, and as you know water doesn't compress....so bend go the connecting rods, or if you are lucky SNAP and then BAM through the block. haha.
dude!..if you are going to be driving your car in a lake for fun then DO NOT do this mod! For regular road driving in areas where it rains alot, just keep all pieces of the fender lining on and the shield facing forward. I has been raining over here in norther california for a couple weeks now and I've been driving with my fender lining all the way off and I still havent hydrolocked. So if you are really worried about hydrolocking just play it safe and keep all pieces of the fender lining on and avoid going through puddles that are more than 1 foot deep.
Old 05-10-05, 01:33 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Very sexy Indelible! Yours looks cleaner than mine. Great filter too.
Old 05-10-05, 01:34 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lalaland
nice DIY write up, on the other hand, i have been told that the original resonator in the soarer for the NA cars is actually benifitial and performs better than the set up outlined.
Yes I too have been told about the resonator, which is why i still have it on my car right now. I will only replace it if I get a full intake system from Injen. As for now it stays there.
Old 05-10-05, 01:37 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laxdude362
Where did you buy your exhaust from? Any pics?
I bought my exhaust from an online store for $320 shipped.
HKS Carbon Ti (single)

Old 05-10-05, 02:03 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

i have an hks too, but not carbon =P
Old 05-10-05, 04:21 PM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
dude!..if you are going to be driving your car in a lake for fun then DO NOT do this mod! For regular road driving in areas where it rains alot, just keep all pieces of the fender lining on and the shield facing forward. I has been raining over here in norther california for a couple weeks now and I've been driving with my fender lining all the way off and I still havent hydrolocked. So if you are really worried about hydrolocking just play it safe and keep all pieces of the fender lining on and avoid going through puddles that are more than 1 foot deep.
DUDE! have you never gone through a puddle that ends up being alot deeper than it looks? That is all it takes! All I am saying is that the performance gains(if there are ANY at all) are not worth the risk.
And also if someone does do this mod, like you said face the heat shield forward to block most of the oncomming rain and such, but in all the pictures shown in this thread the filters are directly exposed to the elements...
Anyway because our stock intake set-ups work very well, and i can't see there being much gain from the mod, other than possible engine damage... I give this mod
Old 05-10-05, 04:26 PM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

if it rains, just detach the pipe and put a filter on, only takes 2 minutes.
Old 05-10-05, 04:54 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

hey you have the same OPTION 2 sticker and exhaust I do!
Old 05-10-05, 04:55 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tryk Racing
DUDE! have you never gone through a puddle that ends up being alot deeper than it looks? That is all it takes! All I am saying is that the performance gains(if there are ANY at all) are not worth the risk.
And also if someone does do this mod, like you said face the heat shield forward to block most of the oncomming rain and such, but in all the pictures shown in this thread the filters are directly exposed to the elements...
Anyway because our stock intake set-ups work very well, and i can't see there being much gain from the mod, other than possible engine damage... I give this mod
I give you a ! IF you dont like it dont post anything.
Old 05-10-05, 05:44 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
I give you a ! IF you dont like it dont post anything.

I disagree.

1) a contrary opinion means others who read this will know both the pro's and con's of your mod. We're not here to back-scratch each other, but rather discuss our SCs. This discussion invariably involves different viewpoints.

Telling someone else not to post because you don't like their response negates the purpose of an open forum.

My second point is of a more technical nature
2) Scott (IIRC) from planet soarer has proven the BFI system has been proven to be more effective than a cold air intake -- it's cheaper and you don't have to use a hole saw on your front end, an asset if you ever want to or may have to sell your car.
Old 05-10-05, 07:03 PM
Thomas C
Lead Lap

An alternative for you guys worried about water getting in is to get a AEM bypass valve.
Old 05-11-05, 12:57 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah bypass valves also do the trick.
Old 05-11-05, 07:43 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

i like the mod i give you a its tight, an about the whole water problem if it dose start raining just switch back to stock it only take a min or 2 just leave your stock air box in the trunk with a wrench you'll be all right that way....an on another note that lil AEM by pass valve dosent work as well as you guys think i had a 99 acord ex v6 with a cold air an i had that by pass valve an i still hydro locked. just play it safe an keep the stock air box in the back

Quick Reply: Custom DIY