Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Post your 1jz swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-05, 01:35 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
Bump on this post; please all 1jzers report in for fixes

Anyone fixed the tach problem? what about the water temp problem? other dash issues?

let's hear it!
I never got the chance to wire in the tach adapter. And for water temp, I decided on just getting a 52mm Greddy gauge.
Old 06-10-05, 02:18 AM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mteele, werew you running an 1jz auto or manual ECU. I have a 5spd car with an auto ecu. How do u bypass the check engine light(if u got one) from the ecu trying to find the absent A/T trans.

Also did you guys solve the tach issue?
Old 06-11-05, 06:21 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

i was wondering the same thing about the auto ecu in a manual car...an has anybody actually used the msd-8920 to make the tach work yet?
Old 06-12-05, 02:08 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blksc300mt
i was wondering the same thing about the auto ecu in a manual car...an has anybody actually used the msd-8920 to make the tach work yet?
we were going to on matts car, but we never got the chance

btw: where in FL are you?
Old 06-12-05, 02:34 AM
blksc300mt
Driver

yea..it really sucks what happened to his car. im in miami. i talked someone at jhot and they told me they should have some 1jz's in at the end of the month..i have the cash in hand so as soon as i get one of em ill be doing this swap too...keeping it all stock for now...so im just gonna order the 8920 and try hooking it up since its only like 50 bucks....dosent look too complicated...just not sure if the tachs in our cars are voltage triggered or current triggered cuz you have to wire it differently...
Old 07-28-05, 11:39 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1jz issues

So sputter right before the tranny shifts when on fulll throttle people thought was boost cut and/or fuel cut. since my swap did it even stock I'm thinking its the US auto transmission ecu that is causing it. So I asked my friends in Japan to ship me a soarer transmission ecu. I will keep you posted on this issue.
Old 07-28-05, 01:02 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

there are a bunch of people selling soarer auto trans in the states if that will help with shipping considering its pretty big and heavy. is the auto trans ecu separate from the main ecu? i thought it was the same ecu that controls everything else that controls the tranny.
Old 07-28-05, 01:19 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default the ecu

Originally Posted by rscott
there are a bunch of people selling soarer auto trans in the states if that will help with shipping considering its pretty big and heavy. is the auto trans ecu separate from the main ecu? i thought it was the same ecu that controls everything else that controls the tranny.
the ECU for engine and tranny is sep
Old 07-28-05, 01:46 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
So sputter right before the tranny shifts when on fulll throttle people thought was boost cut and/or fuel cut. since my swap did it even stock I'm thinking its the US auto transmission ecu that is causing it. So I asked my friends in Japan to ship me a soarer transmission ecu. I will keep you posted on this issue.
My car is doing the same thing. But with the tps wire disconnected it never did it.
Old 07-28-05, 04:48 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Default tps

Originally Posted by got_trd
My car is doing the same thing. But with the tps wire disconnected it never did it.
of course not the tranny ecu uses this signal. what wire you disconnected ?
are you comnig to look at my stock twins ?
Old 07-28-05, 05:08 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
of course not the tranny ecu uses this signal. what wire you disconnected ?
are you comnig to look at my stock twins ?
It was the tps wire i didnt have connected for a while. It bugged the hell out of me b/c i guess i forgot to connect the wire coming in from the harness and my afc was reading o% throttle at all times.. then one day I looked at it and stupid me saw the wire wasnt connected...

I think I figured out why my car was smoking and its not doing it anymore. I pulled all the pipes off yesterday and checked the play and it was little to none. But as of right now, they're working fine. Ill pm you if that changes. I might want them in a month or so just to have..
Old 09-15-05, 06:48 PM
masterstas
Driver School Candidate

i have a few questions for u guys. I drive an sc 300 automatic. Im in the process of swapin that **** out w/ the 1jzgtte. I need to by a u sed turbo bak exhaust for the 1jz motor that will fit w/ the exhaust manifold egress, on the 1jz. Because the motor in my sc has 2 ports for the exhaust to exit. My 2nd question is: how do i tell the difference between the w58 and the r154 tramsmitions. Does anyone here know. Please write me back
Old 09-15-05, 08:52 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

So is the tach going to work w/ auto the ecu?

I'm in the process of putting a 1jz auto into my car, using a w58. Im using the auto 1jz ecu .. wondering if this is a common issue with the use of that ecu?
Old 09-15-05, 09:43 PM
blksc300mt
Driver

tach is not gonna work unless you install a tach adapter. im using the msd 8920
Old 09-16-05, 12:31 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Default k..

Ok, well I should just go ahead and purchase one then. Whats the reason as to why the tach does not work though?

Also, If I were to just purchase a 5speed 1JZ ecu, would everything work properly? Thanks for your help bud

Last edited by codetoad; 09-16-05 at 12:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Post your 1jz swap issues