Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz gte timing belt and cams

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-05, 10:43 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S AFC II for me... still waiting to get it tuned. Now that I know AEM has a universal EMS I might plan on going that route later on
Old 05-06-05, 10:49 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by got_trd
S AFC II for me... still waiting to get it tuned. Now that I know AEM has a universal EMS I might plan on going that route later on
Are there any HKS authroized dealers here in Florida that could do the tuning? That could be an easier route then the AEM universal setup.
Old 05-06-05, 10:52 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by got_trd
I assume that you are running a manual transmission ?

Sucks for me because I am still using the auto box otherwise I would have already had the AEM ECU in mine. It would be a nightmare to try and get the autobox mapped with the AEM (if it could be done at all).

As far as AEM coming out with a universal unit. You do not have to wait, there has been a version available for the 1JZ for some time now.

AEM ECU
Old 05-06-05, 10:56 AM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nah, got_trd has an auto tranny. Right Chino?!
Old 05-06-05, 11:02 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

Yeah I have a HKS fcon vpro with no harness
But I am no longer going to take that route. I am thinking of PFC because I can tune it myself. I currently have a s-afc in the car. Does anyone know if I can get away with using that when I go single until I get the PFC? I know the USDM 2jz guys use the s-afc coupled with a VPC. But to my understanding of the VPC we dont need it since we are maf-less.

So does anybody on here have experience with a single turbo 1jz, s-afc and bigger injectors like 550s?

I imagine you could get 400-450whp out of this safely

Also anybody running emanage on there 1j? I have alot of experience tuning those
Old 05-06-05, 11:02 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

In that case he is limited to a piggyback ecu, the S AFC II will suffice, a step up would be the greddy e-manage, then the FCON S.

The manual tranny guys have a vast choice...

Listing my choices if I had a manual it would be:

HKS FCON V Pro
AEM ECU
Apexi Power FC

There others to choose from as well....
Old 05-06-05, 11:07 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRIFFIN TT
But I am no longer going to take that route. I am thinking of PFC because I can tune it myself. I currently have a s-afc in the car. Does anyone know if I can get away with using that when I go single until I get the PFC? I know the USDM 2jz guys use the s-afc coupled with a VPC. But to my understanding of the VPC we dont need it since its maf-less.

So does anybody on here have experience with a single turbo 1jz, s-afc and bigger injectors like 550s?

Also anybody running emanage on there 1j? I have alot of experience tuning those
You should be ok, you might get slight det problems if not tuned correctly. Run a cold plug with an 8 rating as well.

One of the UK guys running his stock turbos at 18psi (fmic/440's/e-manage) had some slight det problems but I think they tuned it out.
Old 05-06-05, 11:09 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

[QUOTE=Gamer]In that case he is limited to a piggyback ecu, the S AFC II will suffice, a step up would be the greddy e-manage, then the FCON S.

[QUOTE]
yeah emanage would be a huge step up from afc because of timing control and higher resolution fuel control. Any members on here with experience with either the afc or emanage on single turbo app?
Old 05-06-05, 11:12 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

Originally Posted by Gamer
You should be ok, you might get slight det problems if not tuned correctly. Run a cold plug with an 8 rating as well.

One of the UK guys running his stock turbos at 18psi (fmic/440's/e-manage) had some slight det problems but I think they tuned it out.
ahh thanks but no single turbo guys huh?
yeah 18psi is a bit much on those stock heat snails and he probably was only controling fuel if he got detonation
Old 05-06-05, 11:24 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

Found one... Forgot about a UK friend who has just had a single kit put on, he is running an e-manage..

No reports of any issues with that and the single..

You can read about it here...

JZZ30 single kit

The pictures of his set-up are not showing though...
Old 05-06-05, 11:37 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But I am no longer going to take that route. I am thinking of PFC because I can tune it myself. I currently have a s-afc in the car. Does anyone know if I can get away with using that when I go single until I get the PFC? I know the USDM 2jz guys use the s-afc coupled with a VPC. But to my understanding of the VPC we dont need it since we are maf-less.

I was researching this yesterday actually. Piggy backs like the PFC, SAFC, AVCR can only push the stock limits so far. Here is our problem. Our stock injectors run at 340cc and it will be extremely difficult and/or impossible to get the piggy backs to double the injector pulse....say to 650cc. The piggy back systems might be able to push our injectors about 75% more than they should, but that is about it.

EDIT: this is assuming that you have aftermarket injectors on already. The piggy backs have their limits. Hence, why everyone decides to spend the money on the standalones.
Old 05-06-05, 11:41 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ahh thanks but no single turbo guys huh?
yeah 18psi is a bit much on those stock heat snails and he probably was only controling fuel if he got detonation
I have all my parts, but just one major one missing. The standalone. I'm waiting for my HKS FCON to arrive. I might even have to do a custom harness
Old 05-06-05, 11:43 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume that you are running a manual transmission ?

Sucks for me because I am still using the auto box otherwise I would have already had the AEM ECU in mine. It would be a nightmare to try and get the autobox mapped with the AEM (if it could be done at all).

As far as AEM coming out with a universal unit. You do not have to wait, there has been a version available for the 1JZ for some time now.

AEM ECU

No EMS on the Auto?? That blows. Im not all that familiar w/ the EMS set-ups yet because im not ready for it. Ill look into that though.
Old 05-06-05, 11:45 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

Found one... Forgot about a UK friend who has just had a single kit put on, he is running an e-manage..

No reports of any issues with that and the single..

You can read about it here...

JZZ30 single kit

The pictures of his set-up are not showing though...
Thanks gamer
looks like he is just using the emanage and a boostcontroller

kaotiq
You can adequetly run a s-afc with 550's. I know this for fact. That will hold you up to 500whp. Auto tranny cant go past that so my goal is 450whp for now. So fueling is not really a issue unless you are running a manual and going for the big HP.

This is why intially I want to go piggy. Only problem with afc is lack of ign control. So you will have to run the car pretty rich and I dont know how good the knock control is on the oem ecu.
Old 05-06-05, 11:48 AM
Gamer
Pole Position

The FCON S would be the best bet for your goals. It controls the fuel/air and the ign control.

I should add that I use the AEM C2DI to enhance the spark.

Last edited by Gamer; 05-06-05 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 1jz gte timing belt and cams