Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz single turbo manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-05, 09:57 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
ebay manifolds are not mild steel; i've never seen a turbo manifold made out of mild steel; not a production model anyways...
Neither have I. So shot SFP an email about it.
Old 05-12-05, 07:11 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

Originally Posted by Bean
ebay manifolds are not mild steel; i've never seen a turbo manifold made out of mild steel; not a production model anyways...
ebay mani's are made out of 304 stainless.
Most of SFP manifolds are made out of mild steel then coated, unless they recently changed.
I wont be surprised if they lie about it...lol. But yeah there are MANY company's that make manifolds out of mild steel. But the mild steel is not whats bad about it, its just there welding and design process. They dont allow enough room for thermal expansion. BTW Stainless exhibits more thermal expansion then mild steel so if its not properly designed it will crack, contrary to popular belief. Mild steel has less expansion and is less proned to cracking. But if somebody doesnt know what they are doing they dan mess that up too.

You can take my advise if you like or just ignore and buy a POS manifold your choice. Remeber I am not talking from what I heard like what most people do on the internet. I have actuall experience with there products. Take it as you wish
Old 05-12-05, 07:21 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

on a side note,
the strongest manifolds are made of forged mild steel weld-els
If welded correctly they will never crack. The thermal expansion properties are very forgiving of that particular material..
BTW I worked in a shop that designed and fabricated manifolds. We dealt with many types of materials ranging from titanium and inconel to mild steel. So I have some experience with the subject. SFP is a rip off
Old 05-12-05, 09:15 AM
qtb33
Lead Lap

The main problem with using mild steel other than it is corrosion prone is that it dosn't retain alot of strength when it gets to higher temps such as 1200-1400 degrees F. While metals such as 321SS and inconel retain as much as 80% strength if not higher. This is also another reason mild tends not to crack, it bends, and will slowly start to "sink" if it sees high enough temps produced in a turbo system.

I would also guess that these cheaper company's are only using like 18-20 ga. metals, which will either bend/melt or crack much easier. Turbo manifolds should have 0.500" flanges and at least 0.060"(16ga) walls, at a minimum.