Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air Flow Signal/Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 10:09 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Hmm, this is interesting. My dyno guy said he can't tune it without having the airflow

Now I am very confused!! He said he could try and do it by adding and removing fuel by the sound of the engine, but he has never heard of doing it without airflow .

Jonny
unless he's tuned dozens upon dozens of post 95-pre vvti SC400's there is no way he's going to be able to tune it by the "sound of the engine". I am going to take a wild guess and say that you're the first SC400 that he's going to be tuning a S-AFC on.

He was going to tune your engine by airflow % displayed on the S-AFC? tell me he's joking

he wasn't going to hookup your car to a dyno and use a "wideband" to get your A/F ratio?

that dyno guy is on crack.

Then again I could have been running my car with incorrectly installed S-AFC for the past 3 years. My AF% on my S-AFC doesn't register anything either. My dyno guy hooked up a wideband o2 sensor and ran it on a dyno. He then adjusted the fuel using S-AFC gradually until we had a decent A/F curve.

by the way give him this info an charge him $75

Last edited by VSsc400; 05-20-05 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-20-05, 10:37 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

explain this to the dyno guy really slowly so he understands.

When you hooked up your ECU you used the pink wire and orange wire. This is because you have Karman type. Therefore you will only get a fluctuating value on the Karman value and nothing on the AF% since those wires are taped up and not connected to anything

If your hookup was Hot-wire, Flap or Pressure sensor you would have hooked up the yellow and white wire and not have used the pink and orange wires. This would in turn display AF% usage and no value on the Karman. This would be because the Karman wires would be taped up and not connected to anything. But SC400 is Karman type so you would not be able to hook the S-AFC in this fashion.

This means that since SC400's have Karman type ECU the yellow and white wires are not hooked up therefore AF% would not display anything since there is no information coming through the white and yello wires. Only the Pink and Orange wires are hooked up so the S-AFC will only see Karman signal.

If he still has trouble understanding why when you hook up a Karman type ECU you would only get Karman signal and no AF% readout (only used for FLAP/pressure/Hot-Wire) then I don't know what else to say.

Now moving on

You have your S-AFC hooked up correctly. If you are still confused on how or why your S-AFC in it's current state is hooked up correctly then I don't know how else to convince you that it's connected correctly.

Go to a shop that has a clue
Old 05-20-05, 09:55 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dennis,

Wanted to say a big thank you for all of your help. I brought what you had written to the dyno guy ( minus the comments about him being on crack ) and he understood. Ran the car a couple of times with some good results.

Thank you again for your time and patience helping me get everything squared away.

Peace,
Jonny
Old 05-20-05, 10:16 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3
Dennis,

Wanted to say a big thank you for all of your help. I brought what you had written to the dyno guy ( minus the comments about him being on crack ) and he understood. Ran the car a couple of times with some good results.

Thank you again for your time and patience helping me get everything squared away.

Peace,
Jonny
tell him that i'll be sending him a bill for $75 lol

you and I have pretty much the same mods and you have extra 15rwtq up top... probably the updated cams that are on the 95 over the 92-94 congrats. You are only 20rwhp/20rwtq away from surpassing 1UZ's with vvti's
Old 05-21-05, 08:16 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VSsc400
tell him that i'll be sending him a bill for $75 lol

you and I have pretty much the same mods and you have extra 15rwtq up top... probably the updated cams that are on the 95 over the 92-94 congrats. You are only 20rwhp/20rwtq away from surpassing 1UZ's with vvti's
LOL

OK, so what do we have to do now to get that extra 20 at the rear wheel?? I am sure headers would get us there but the cost associated with getting them, getting the custom flange put on, and then installed - too much $$$

Spray would definitely put us over the mark but that isn't an all the time mod.

Come on D, what you got up your sleeve? I wanna piece of that action!!

Thx again man,
Jonny
Old 05-21-05, 03:29 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3
LOL

OK, so what do we have to do now to get that extra 20 at the rear wheel?? I am sure headers would get us there but the cost associated with getting them, getting the custom flange put on, and then installed - too much $$$

Spray would definitely put us over the mark but that isn't an all the time mod.

Come on D, what you got up your sleeve? I wanna piece of that action!!

Thx again man,
Jonny
I am expecting to get my car back end of june. I should be running around 375rwhp and 450rwtq naturally aspirated. Until then I say nothing more
Old 05-21-05, 03:31 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VSsc400
I am expecting to get my car back end of june. I should be running around 375rwhp and 450rwtq naturally aspirated. Until then I say nothing more
Damn man - those are some serious numbers NA.

Hmm, now I gotta work something out to compete!! Can't let you have all the fun!

Good luck D and I hope it rocks!!

Jonny
Old 05-22-05, 03:40 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a cool setup VS, whatever you have cooking. Sounds like it must be a good combo of all the ingredients; fuel/spark controll, and some airflow enhancements too to get those numbers.
We'll be waiting...