Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So what actually breaks in our 5 spds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 10:49 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by guessd
Ha. Ha. Ha. Um... It's not like I'm assuming I'm worried that I'm going to break it with this slow pos the way it sits(stock at 188 slow whp). I know nothing about the R154 except that ?it comes with the 1JZ?. I wouldn't know hot to get ahold of one otherwise. Laugh all you want if you don't think I'm not going to make power; I don't just want 250(1jz)-500 like most of you guys on here... that'd be a waste of time to turbo it and still be slower than my last car. Sorry, I don't mean to come off as cocky, but I hate when people try to say that I'm all talk; my last car proved some of those people wrong. Pretty much all I'm looking for is a temporary (year or so) solution that I can use for a year or so with no launching, all dyno, and hwy pulls. I know it'll hold up on the dyno because my friend's did with 690 whp, but when it's putting it to the ground, that's a different story.
there's hardly anyone on here with aftermarket turbokits on 1jzs here... so kinda off to make that kinda remark i guess... oh well

but got_trd is correct, the 1jz can do anything the 2jz can... dont like the displacement? bolt on a 2jz shortblock...

i'm still missing exactly what you're wanting to do... are you wanting to leave it stock? I think you'd have a problem with stock power? i'm just not understanding this thread correctly
Old 05-22-05, 11:13 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bean
cheaper option, yes... but will it withstand the same kind of power as the R154 or V160? not even close

spend a little cash on something that will break anyways, or spend a little bit more on something that wont

I see R154s in junkyards go for $500 or so with warranties... you do the math... not directed at the thread-starter... but if you're not able to put out $1000 for a quality R154 swap, then you've got bigger problems...
Well they claim to typically see a 100-300% strength increase. I have never heard anything bad about cyro-work claiming there are not huge gains.

So lets do the math:

W58 rated for lets say 450 lb-ft (it seems like a fair number). If you only see a 100% gain you have have 900ish lb-ft capability minumum. The 1JZ and 2JZ put down some impressive power but they don't typically make massive torque (of coarse there are exceptions).

Now money math:

$2.50 per # times maybe 60# of internals = $150 plus shipping charges. I would guess shipping would cost about $80-$100. This is of coarse if you do all your own work. If not that maybe a better route would be the R154 or V160

Results:

$250 for a tranny that will hold about 900 lb-ft

You be the judge
Old 05-22-05, 11:35 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there's hardly anyone on here with aftermarket turbokits on 1jzs here... so kinda off to make that kinda remark i guess... oh well

but got_trd is correct, the 1jz can do anything the 2jz can... dont like the displacement? bolt on a 2jz shortblock...

i'm still missing exactly what you're wanting to do... are you wanting to leave it stock? I think you'd have a problem with stock power? i'm just not understanding this thread correctly
cryo treatment is an option. so would you rather just cryo treat your tranny or bolt on a r154 which doesn't directly "bolt on." and people might want to keep their shorter gears and not run the getrag.

1jz can do everything that a 2jz can do?... if you're going to drop in a 2jz head into a 1jz why not save yourself the hassle and money and get yourself a 2jz? HECK why not just throw in a 3.4 liter stroker kit then any inline 6 can do everything the 1jz and 2jz can do all it takes in $$$ and doing internal work.
Old 05-22-05, 11:36 PM
CP_Ree
Lexus Test Driver

You know what, no offense to anyone, but nevermind. This thread goes like every other thread, it was suppose to be about what actually broke in the trannys, not what other tranny options are out there. I'm not mad or annoyed, I just don't find very useful information from a lot of these threads/posts.

I have to say I agree with rememiya also.

Last edited by CP_Ree; 05-22-05 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-23-05, 01:09 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Sooooooooooooooooo....back to the topic. Does the 3rd gear synchro also give out on the W58? If so, how many ponies are you running?
Old 05-23-05, 01:22 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by qtb33
If you are ok with doing your own wrenching and have acess to a press, cryo-treating is a cheaper option at about $2.50 per #. I have posted a email I recieved when I inquired about it to a company called 300Below.

Here's there website: www.300below.com

If you want a copy of my email PM me and I'll share it. It has been proven to make massive gains in material strength.
This Cryo Processing stuff..will it really work? I hear talk from my friends about it. Im still feel a bit iffy about it.
Old 05-23-05, 05:47 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reamemiya
cryo treatment is an option. so would you rather just cryo treat your tranny or bolt on a r154 which doesn't directly "bolt on." and people might want to keep their shorter gears and not run the getrag.

1jz can do everything that a 2jz can do?... if you're going to drop in a 2jz head into a 1jz why not save yourself the hassle and money and get yourself a 2jz? HECK why not just throw in a 3.4 liter stroker kit then any inline 6 can do everything the 1jz and 2jz can do all it takes in $$$ and doing internal work.
He was refering to the 2jz block, not head... Who would want to ditch a 1j head

I think you'd get a better reply over on Supraforums in the 1jz/2jz swap section. There are a few guys there running r154s in their mkiii's
Old 05-23-05, 10:24 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

ahhh i see..
Old 05-23-05, 01:49 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Sooooooooooooooooo....back to the topic. Does the 3rd gear synchro also give out on the W58? If so, how many ponies are you running?
i was reffering to the W58 in my previous post.

i am actually glad that this thread got a bit off topic, because that chart is cool. there are positives to all options, its just a matter of opinion just like deciding between a 1jz swap, a 2jzgte swap, or going na-t. thats what makes the SC so great ......and depressing at the same time . but its all good. and i kinda answered the origional question anyways. at least that was my experience.
Old 05-23-05, 04:36 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by reamemiya

I never said to drop in a 2jz head; go back and read what I posted; thanks!!!!

I said 2jz SHORTBLOCK... do you know what a shortblock is?
people that blow 1jzs sometimes swap in the 2jz shortblock since it bolts right up just fine without much hassle

if you guys think you'll get a 100% strength increase from cryo treatment; then be my guest... i'd bet money you wouldnt... you have no clue what Toyota has already done to the tranny when it is produced nor will you be able to get that information...

i wouldnt rate the W58 at 450ft-lbs either... that may be its maximum operating power; but I'd venture for 350ft-lbs as its designed load... stuff starts breaking once you get over this point
Old 05-23-05, 05:53 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

i wouldnt rate the W58 at 450ft-lbs either... that may be its maximum operating power; but I'd venture for 350ft-lbs as its designed load... stuff starts breaking once you get over this point
If you're comparing maximum load to designed load your somewhat comparing apples and oranges. Due to this being a reversed stress cycle loading you truely need to look at the stresses that it is subject to and do a "Stress-Life analysis" because the material will probably fail from fatigue. You are correct that we will never get that metal material from Toyota or how it was treated. Although it is safe to assume that it is more than likely steel of some sort. By definition steel will fail if it is subjected to stresses over 212KPSI. It's just a matter of time.

So what I'm getting at is that everytime you do a hard shift, or launch the car, your probably exceding this 212 KPSI limit and are fatigueing the shafts/gears/bearings. Harsh impacts are very harrd to predict when designing machines. So it really comes down to maximum because you'll be pushing limits regardless of intended loading. Using slicks or unsprung clutches further increases this stress and shortens the life of the transmission.