Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Hello. former Honda owner turned Lexus owner here w/ some ?s

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-05, 09:41 PM
DIYsquirre
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello. former Honda owner turned Lexus owner here w/ some ?s

For the last ~7 years or so, I've had a '95 civic. It's got some goodies (B20Z, T3TO4B, quaiffe LSD). A real fun car. Lots of power, but I needed a change.

So, I just bought a '93 Sc300. It's an auto, eats gas like a pig, and slow as all hell, but I like it. I've always loved these cars.
Anyways, working on Hondas has really skewed my view of modification. I expect that everything should be readily available from numerous vendors, and that do-it-yourself resources are abundant. Well I've been looking around and it seems like stuff for the SC is a seller's market.

I mean to keep the SC as stock as possible....or at least try However, I'll probably get some rims, springs/shocks, and make an intake and exhaust (for fuel efficiency).
But I've been humuring the idea of turbo charging it. From what I've read and from my own personal experiences I can piece together and make the physical kit itself, and my only concern is fuel management.

AEM and other standalones are too pricey for what I want to do. I'm only looking for ~300 rwhp or whatever can get me to run low 14's-high 13's.
Would larger injectors and an SAFC suffice (how are the ignition values with this setup)?
Are their any freeware programs available? Similar to Ghettodyne, turboedit, and Uberdata for hondas.
I'll have access to a wideband and I really prefer to do as much as I can by myself (the aftermarket is outrageous)

Thanks in advance kids!
Old 05-25-05, 11:38 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Do you want the cheapest mid 13sec route, or the more expensive one?

Well my boy Chino, he posts on here, with his SC300 with a bone stock 1JZGTE swap, untuned SAFC, 15psi boost, and a limited slip diff. The motor going thru stock exhaust, cat, resonator, but the mufflers removed, supra TT rims on kumho supra tires, ran 13.5 1/4mi time and a 2.2 60ft tonight.

I just bought a complete 1JZGTE swap for my SC300 for 999.99, 1200 shipped to my door.

Thats the cheapest route if you install it yourself or with freinds.

The way more expensive route to run low 14s is, to have a really strong motor, ive seen stock SC300 5spds run high 14s. To piece together a turbo kit for the 2jzge, to run mid 13s, your looking at over 3k. There a turbonetics turbo kit that doesnt need a fuel computer, it has two 440cc additional injectors that turn on under boost. That kit stock at like 8psi will give you your 13s. Thats alot of money for 13s.

And no theres no ecu software to edit the factory settings that i know of.. You gotta run safc, emanage, aem, etc, if u wanna fiddle with settings.

Minus the cost of insurance, registering, etc.. Including the cost of the car, chrome TT rims, lowered, and 1jzgte swapped, will be under 7 grand.
Old 05-26-05, 12:03 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

as far as an aftermarket goes, drivetrain, suspension, motor all same as supra (for the most part), so get ready to dish out some $$$$.

Theres no aftermarket headlights made cept custom hid ones some guy makes in factory housing, theres no aftermarket tail lights, altezzas, or anything. A decent bodykit runs you around 3 grand new. If u wanna upgrade the brakes, just get stock 4 piston supra calipes and rotors. Any decent exhaust is $$$$. Theres no offical cold air intake made that im aware of. Theres no wire adapter or radio adapter for an aftermarket head unit, u gotta do that urself custom. Ebay dont carry **** really for em either.

IF you want part, browse supra forums for their take offs. Supra eibach springs fit the sc300 front struts, not the rear, youll have to buy supra tt rear struts. Eibach sells a kit for the sc300 suspension (really just the bigger dia rear struts), or find a used set of eibahs off supra, usually under $100.

99.9999% of sc300 owners hate rice, so there really isnt a big aftermarket of custom parts, stock stuff works just perfect.

Good luck.
Old 05-26-05, 07:48 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If 300 hp is your goal, a 1JZ would be my suggestion. Motor is cheap, drops right in and wires right up. Probably easier than swapping a DOHC into an EG.

300hp and low 14's is what I run now on stock boost, totally untuned, only mod being a cone filter, removed mufflers UR crank pulley, and b&m trans cooler with 2 10" subs in the trunk.. 14.190@100.58mph to be exact

Im sure someone will try to flame on the 1JZ but thats my suggestion.
Old 05-26-05, 09:08 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

1jz's are slow
Old 05-26-05, 09:26 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

the EASIEST way into the 13's would probably be nitrous. pick up a kit for 500 and your pretty much done. as mentioned above, the 1jz swap is fairly cheap if you or your friends can finish the swap since the motors seem to be pretty easy to come by. if your motor is in good shape, i'd just turbo it if you can afford it.
Old 05-26-05, 10:38 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

can a 1jz be pushed to 5-600 reliably? I know the 2jz can it's being done all the time, but what about the 1jz how reliable is it into the higher hp numbers?
Old 05-26-05, 11:12 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

PM me... I'll show you how to put a turbo kit together for around $1500 and make the power you have in mind on stock compression/stock fuel.
Old 05-26-05, 11:38 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
as far as an aftermarket goes, drivetrain, suspension, motor all same as supra (for the most part), so get ready to dish out some $$$$.

Theres no aftermarket headlights made cept custom hid ones some guy makes in factory housing, theres no aftermarket tail lights, altezzas, or anything. A decent bodykit runs you around 3 grand new. If u wanna upgrade the brakes, just get stock 4 piston supra calipes and rotors. Any decent exhaust is $$$$. Theres no offical cold air intake made that im aware of. Theres no wire adapter or radio adapter for an aftermarket head unit, u gotta do that urself custom. Ebay dont carry **** really for em either.

IF you want part, browse supra forums for their take offs. Supra eibach springs fit the sc300 front struts, not the rear, youll have to buy supra tt rear struts. Eibach sells a kit for the sc300 suspension (really just the bigger dia rear struts), or find a used set of eibahs off supra, usually under $100.

99.9999% of sc300 owners hate rice, so there really isnt a big aftermarket of custom parts, stock stuff works just perfect.

Good luck.
Yep thats what deterred me from getting a GSR or a Civic. The machine isnt bad its just the most of the people that drive em thats bad
Old 05-26-05, 01:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

stock fuel with an upgraded fuel pump is PLENTY for 300whp... hell its enough to handle 375 just fine too
S-AFC for fine tuning would do just fine... you wouldnt even need to run much boost to make that little bit of power...
medium sized turbo like a T61 with a smaller A/R for quicker spool at around 8psi and you'd be pushing around 375whp easy... quite possibly more than that...
if you're wanting less power, I'd run a T04E-60 or 57trim... 300whp can easily be done at low boost levels with those turbos

Originally Posted by DIYsquirre
For the last ~7 years or so, I've had a '95 civic. It's got some goodies (B20Z, T3TO4B, quaiffe LSD). A real fun car. Lots of power, but I needed a change.

So, I just bought a '93 Sc300. It's an auto, eats gas like a pig, and slow as all hell, but I like it. I've always loved these cars.
Anyways, working on Hondas has really skewed my view of modification. I expect that everything should be readily available from numerous vendors, and that do-it-yourself resources are abundant. Well I've been looking around and it seems like stuff for the SC is a seller's market.

I mean to keep the SC as stock as possible....or at least try However, I'll probably get some rims, springs/shocks, and make an intake and exhaust (for fuel efficiency).
But I've been humuring the idea of turbo charging it. From what I've read and from my own personal experiences I can piece together and make the physical kit itself, and my only concern is fuel management.

AEM and other standalones are too pricey for what I want to do. I'm only looking for ~300 rwhp or whatever can get me to run low 14's-high 13's.
Would larger injectors and an SAFC suffice (how are the ignition values with this setup)?
Are their any freeware programs available? Similar to Ghettodyne, turboedit, and Uberdata for hondas.
I'll have access to a wideband and I really prefer to do as much as I can by myself (the aftermarket is outrageous)

Thanks in advance kids!
Old 05-26-05, 01:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Twirl
can a 1jz be pushed to 5-600 reliably? I know the 2jz can it's being done all the time, but what about the 1jz how reliable is it into the higher hp numbers?
Yes, it uses the SAME bottom-end as the Supra EXCEPT the crank... rods and pistons are the SAME

only difference in blocks is the 2jz has a higher deck height and a longer stroke crank

2jzs can be pushed far beyond 500-600hp and be reliable... try 1000
the 1jz can do the SAME THING... its just not big mainstream yet and no one has really gone out of their way to make a truly BADASS setup... something that will change soon

T61 or GT35R with a 1jz, PowerFC + 720 injectors = 600whp+ easy...
Old 05-26-05, 08:06 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Only 300 ponies?? I hears stories about how people would bolt up a basic basic baaasic turbo setup and run between 300-500 with no problem. For fuel I think they just used the SAFC2 and bigger injectors and/or a higher flowing fuel pump. A Fuel Pressure Regulator also helps too.
Old 05-26-05, 08:15 PM
DIYsquirre
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
LOL! I think a lot of Honda enthusiasts hate rice(including the JDM bling) more than anyone else. There's usually an "over-reactionary" hatred towards rice. In fact, just looking around on these boards, some of the common things done here would be frowned upon if they were done to a Honda (Bodykits, Big flashy rims, etc). Personally, I say do what you want. It's your money/car.
I'm definately not interested in tail lights and such (you're talking to a guy whose civic is considered a "sleeper", I just consider it a stock exterior). As for an intake and exhaust, I'll just fab up my own. Aftermarket prices for this stuff is ridiculous no matter what the make of your car is.

My concern is in fuel management. For Hondas all you need is a wideband, chip burner, and some know-how. Commercial standalones are too pricey, and I'd like to stay away from piggy backs, but if they are sufficient then why the hell not?

Thanks for the replies guys
Old 05-26-05, 09:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DIYsquirre
LOL! I think a lot of Honda enthusiasts hate rice(including the JDM bling) more than anyone else. There's usually an "over-reactionary" hatred towards rice. In fact, just looking around on these boards, some of the common things done here would be frowned upon if they were done to a Honda (Bodykits, Big flashy rims, etc). Personally, I say do what you want. It's your money/car.
I'm definately not interested in tail lights and such (you're talking to a guy whose civic is considered a "sleeper", I just consider it a stock exterior). As for an intake and exhaust, I'll just fab up my own. Aftermarket prices for this stuff is ridiculous no matter what the make of your car is.

My concern is in fuel management. For Hondas all you need is a wideband, chip burner, and some know-how. Commercial standalones are too pricey, and I'd like to stay away from piggy backs, but if they are sufficient then why the hell not?

Thanks for the replies guys
Big flashy rims are looked down upon here too unless they are done correctly...

I think the Honda board's definition of big and flashy and our definition is a bit different...
then again, there are A LOT of people on this board whose rims cost MORE than most of the cars on that board HRE, iForged (not the cheap single piece either), Racing Hart, Lowenhart, etc... and the Lexus cars also run much larger wheel diameter too so we can get away with it

Every night I dream of a set of 19" Racing Hart CX-Rs in gunmetal
http://www.racinghart.com/wheels_rac.asp
Old 05-27-05, 06:23 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Twirl
very reliable. Trust me

Quick Reply: Hello. former Honda owner turned Lexus owner here w/ some ?s