Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SR20DET engine in a SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05 | 11:17 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Just add a huge turbo and you'll top the power/weight ratio.

Problem solved
Old 06-21-05 | 12:07 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

just an fyi the jgtc cars arent a stock 3s for those who are thinking about it. its a custom block...look on toysport they have the motor and it costs as much as a decent sc. plus to make a car with that swap it would be completely unreliable with how much tuning would have to be done. i dont have a link to the motor they use but i know for sure that its no where close to a stock 3s.....some sort of customized block aka not worth your time unless u can **** away money...
Old 06-21-05 | 01:11 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

First person that swaps an SR into an SC gets punched in the cooter.
Old 06-21-05 | 01:39 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Originally Posted by sc300tt

I'd just go 1JZ with a big single, chuck out the stock seats (front and rear) for lighter sports seats up front, and get some good suspension and boost running.

Check out Hyper Rev for the Soarer... plenty of race-tuned Soarers pushing around 700
Old 06-21-05 | 03:48 AM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

OMG that might be the funniest thing I have ever read on these boards
Old 06-21-05 | 05:09 AM
MyScRuNmIa
Pole Position

if you guy's do a search you well find i was talking about doing a 3s-gte swap a while back, i think it's a ggreat idea, an with those motors it isent hard to make power with them lets just stop an think (lighter motor+ same power= going faster) i like that equation...an for the record in my opinion no idea is a bad idea...you dont get famous by being like every one else you do by being unique!!! dont go with the flow , mae your own
Old 06-21-05 | 10:21 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MyScRuNmIa
if you guy's do a search you well find i was talking about doing a 3s-gte swap a while back, i think it's a ggreat idea, an with those motors it isent hard to make power with them lets just stop an think (lighter motor+ same power= going faster) i like that equation...an for the record in my opinion no idea is a bad idea...you dont get famous by being like every one else you do by being unique!!! dont go with the flow , mae your own
i dont know about you but ive never seen a 3s-gte put out 1000hp, as a matter of fact the most powerful one in the world is right around 800 and i bet it took upwards of $20k to get it there, so same power can be removed from that equasion. also the 2jz gte will have a much wider powerband if they both have 800hp, itll take a huge turbo which will equal huge lag to get a 3s-gte to high powerlevels
you want to do something unique put a 2jz or 1jz in with a v-mount setup, i have yet to see that done. if you plan on putting a 3s-gte in your sc more power to ya, but it better be strictly a show or track car because i doubt something that radical would make a nice reliable daily driver
Old 06-21-05 | 10:57 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Screw all that.
Here you go:

426 Crate Hemi

It'll give you enough torque to break traction at any speed.

~Alan
Old 06-21-05 | 12:00 PM
jazn671
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc300ccret
Because swapping a SR20DET for weight reduction is like pissing in the ocean. It doesn't matter that much.
actually, when i went to japan, quoting Koyama from JUN, i asked why they tossed the rb26 in favor of the sr20, his response was "we can make the same amount of power as the rb26 with the sr20 in our skyline.

not that i'm agreeing with dropping an sr20 in a sc.
Old 06-21-05 | 02:40 PM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Wink

That is the Funniest thing I have read on this forum in about 3 years. This thread should be a "STICKY" Just for that quote alone. I cant stop laughing from Iraq.
Old 06-21-05 | 03:26 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Originally Posted by jazn671
actually, when i went to japan, quoting Koyama from JUN, i asked why they tossed the rb26 in favor of the sr20, his response was "we can make the same amount of power as the rb26 with the sr20 in our skyline.

not that i'm agreeing with dropping an sr20 in a sc.

not to be a **** but that shows nothing. there still is no torque through the midrange and it only produces the "same power" at top end. in reality how long are u in the upper 90% of the rev-range when driving? i for sure am no where close...im more towards the 3-4.5 max daily driving let along the lag that would be produced from running a turbo big enough to get to the same power level. those cars are strictly for track use or top speed highway runs. look at the jun supra that has the 3s in it...its fast thats for damn sure but its built to be a top speed car where they need stability. around town where it would be stop and go it would take forever for the turbo to spool to make enough power to get that thing moving....maybe im retarded but from the physics classes and automotive classes i've taken its just not smart unless its to look pretty or go for top speed.
Old 06-21-05 | 03:52 PM
LexusLimit
Driver

This is the dumbest thread I've read and I'm surprised it lasted a few pages. Hey while were at it and after that sr20 swap is done, lets try to swap a S2000 6spd motor and tranny into a sc300.
Old 06-21-05 | 04:19 PM
reamemiya
Pole Position

i don't know what a cooter is, but looks like you'll have to be punching some japanese cooters? muahah cuz i know there are a couple if not more soarers in japan with SR's. remember seeing them in a couple of magazine.
Old 06-21-05 | 04:51 PM
jazn671
Rookie

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
not to be a **** but that shows nothing. there still is no torque through the midrange and it only produces the "same power" at top end. in reality how long are u in the upper 90% of the rev-range when driving? i for sure am no where close...im more towards the 3-4.5 max daily driving let along the lag that would be produced from running a turbo big enough to get to the same power level. those cars are strictly for track use or top speed highway runs. look at the jun supra that has the 3s in it...its fast thats for damn sure but its built to be a top speed car where they need stability. around town where it would be stop and go it would take forever for the turbo to spool to make enough power to get that thing moving....maybe im retarded but from the physics classes and automotive classes i've taken its just not smart unless its to look pretty or go for top speed.
it was a jgtc car r32 skyline with sr20det engine (jgtc 500 class to be exact)... so yes there has to be midrange... and i believe they had pretty good results. results so good that their sr20det product line is based off these results. and this was done 10 years ago.

like i said in my previous statement, i'm not agreeing of dropping a sr20 in a sc.
Old 06-21-05 | 05:18 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Ummmmmm, not to sure on this because I'm way to busy to watch any large amount of JGTC. But aren't the Supras powered by turboed 1UZFE motors. I could swear that they are. I know that the GT300..... or is it GT500 class Fairladys are powered by destroked (3.5 down to 3.0 liter) VQ30DETT's.

Quick Reply: SR20DET engine in a SC