Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SR20DET engine in a SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 05:51 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterSC
Ummmmmm, not to sure on this because I'm way to busy to watch any large amount of JGTC. But aren't the Supras powered by turboed 1UZFE motors. I could swear that they are. I know that the GT300..... or is it GT500 class Fairladys are powered by destroked (3.5 down to 3.0 liter) VQ30DETT's.
I'm not sure of the exact engine code, but yes the latest Supras in JGTC run a version of the Toyota/Lexus V8. I don't think they are turbo though. They used to run them the 3SGTE though.

As far as my 2 cents on the swap: If you are planning on totally gutting your car, installing light weight body panels, spending crazy money to build the motor and tune it within an inch of its life, and only run the car on the circuit then it sounds like the good idea. For a street car of any kind I would go with NA-T, 1jz swap, or 2jzgte swap.
Old 06-21-05, 06:11 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jazn671
actually, when i went to japan, quoting Koyama from JUN, i asked why they tossed the rb26 in favor of the sr20, his response was "we can make the same amount of power as the rb26 with the sr20 in our skyline.

not that i'm agreeing with dropping an sr20 in a sc.
your sure your not thinking of the RB20? Many GTS-T owners toss their RB20 motors in favor of the sr20det because of the huge aftermarket support.

sc300tt just curious what is your opinion on swapping an rb26dett such as the one with TE37's that has pics floating around here. Is that ok in your books?
Old 06-21-05, 06:22 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
sc300tt just curious what is your opinion on swapping an rb26dett such as the one with TE37's that has pics floating around here. Is that ok in your books?
I think an RB swap is stupid also. Even more stupid than an SR swap to be honest. There is no advantage over the JZ series, which has plenty of aftermarket support, so why put a different manufacturers engine into a car and deal with all the hassles associated with it, without gaining any real benefit than somebody saying...."neat". And if you are in a country with local dealerships that don't even carry RB parts, like the US, it's just a pain in the ***. I have some of the same feelings toward a 1jz swap because of the parts concern, but at least 1jz swaps do offer some advantages (mostly intital cost)
Old 06-21-05, 06:28 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300tt
I think an RB swap is stupid also. Even more stupid than an SR swap to be honest. There is no advantage over the JZ series, which has plenty of aftermarket support, so why put a different manufacturers engine into a car and deal with all the hassles associated with it, without gaining any real benefit than somebody saying...."neat". And if you are in a country with local dealerships that don't even carry RB parts, like the US, it's just a pain in the ***. I have some of the same feelings toward a 1jz swap because of the parts concern, but at least 1jz swaps do offer some advantages (mostly intital cost)
Ya, listen to Clint, he's the pimp.

Chris
Old 06-21-05, 06:34 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what 1jz part isnt readily available?
Old 06-21-05, 06:54 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reamemiya
i don't know what a cooter is, but looks like you'll have to be punching some japanese cooters? muahah cuz i know there are a couple if not more soarers in japan with SR's. remember seeing them in a couple of magazine.
im not going into what a cooter is , but the soraer you are thinking of doesnt have an SR in it. it has an RB25 or 26... regerdless, its out of a skyline, not a silvia. if i dont get lazy, ill link that post.
Old 06-21-05, 07:08 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by got_trd
what 1jz part isnt readily available?
I know the 1jz support has come a long way, and a lot of parts swap over from the 2jz, but there are still things you have to either do custom or wait. You can't get a gasket kit from local dealers. I know Jeff Watson keeps some in stock, but say he happens to be out of stock, then what? I know it's not a huge deal at all and is one of the tradeoff you make for doing the swap, but it is definately a bigger hassle than being able to go to pretty much any toyota/lexus dealer and pick up a gasket or hose. I won't even talk about the aftermarket availability in the US. I've got nothing against the 1jz, I just don't want it represented like it's just as easy to get parts for as the 2jz.
Old 06-21-05, 07:21 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

then again, it also helps to live 3 min. away from titan morotsports like he does... they stock 1j parts.
Old 06-21-05, 08:58 PM
jazn671
Rookie

Originally Posted by TurboTeg
your sure your not thinking of the RB20? Many GTS-T owners toss their RB20 motors in favor of the sr20det because of the huge aftermarket support.
it was JUN's testbed... anyways... i think we all agreed it's a bad idea for a street car... circuit? cool points? fine. how about a 2jz in a different chassis?
Old 06-21-05, 09:33 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

soarer with RB26

there ya go

i know someone that is thinking about buying a 240 to put a 2j in.
Old 06-21-05, 09:41 PM
jazn671
Rookie

do we know the same person?