Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

first time at the 1/4 in my SC

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-05, 11:52 PM
turbo6
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first time at the 1/4 in my SC

boost was off the wastegate spring (1bar... 15-18psi) .. used a 75shot for spoolup (still left me lagging out of the hole as you can see in the video.)

only got 1 pass that was not terrible (had my share of 14's, 21's, etc) still with MUCH room for improvement, not to mention being able to double the boost.

11.5 @ 125
do note in the video... even with a 10+ car headstart, the mustang loses
http://www.dynomagic.com/dmpics/SC30...0wastegate.wmv
Old 06-22-05, 12:10 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DynoMagic
boost was off the wastegate spring (1bar... 15-18psi) .. used a 75shot for spoolup (still left me lagging out of the hole as you can see in the video.)

only got 1 pass that was not terrible (had my share of 14's, 21's, etc) still with MUCH room for improvement, not to mention being able to double the boost.

11.5 @ 125
do note in the video... even with a 10+ car headstart, the mustang loses
http://www.dynomagic.com/dmpics/SC30...0wastegate.wmv
Sweet! What turbo are you using.

Chris
Old 06-22-05, 12:12 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

great for you first time out.

gadgetSC-t
Old 06-22-05, 12:21 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
Sweet! What turbo are you using.

Chris
I want to say he went with a 76mm and a Th400.

Very nice run! Congrats! Now turn up the wick and get that record.
Old 06-22-05, 12:42 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HAHAH the mustang owner must feel really really bad
Old 06-22-05, 06:34 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Congrats on the pass!! Very nice for low boost

Can you break down the slip for us? How bad was the 60' if you were lagging out of the hole? How do you spray the 75shot? I fought thru the same issues last Spring, leaving on a super tight TC w/a TH400 - let me know if there's anything I can help with

Jay
Old 06-22-05, 07:04 AM
MongolKhan
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats bro, i so want to turbo my car but for different purposes.
Old 06-22-05, 08:01 AM
turbo6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHLSingle
Congrats on the pass!! Very nice for low boost

Can you break down the slip for us? How bad was the 60' if you were lagging out of the hole? How do you spray the 75shot? I fought thru the same issues last Spring, leaving on a super tight TC w/a TH400 - let me know if there's anything I can help with

Jay
The slip is out in the car, still on the trailer (all 1/4 tracks are strategically 2 hours away.) I think the 60' was 1.9, it was by no means a good launch either - and you can see how long it took in the video to spool. On turbo alone, it stalls around 3300 (supposed to be 3800, and it ran 14.0 on turbo only), and with a 75shot it stalls around 4200 on the transbrake - still too tight. Boost comes in around 5k , and the car really wakes up at 6 which leaves a good powerband revving to 9.

After the 11.5 I put 100 jets in hoping for a little more stall spraying the transbrake, and went to run, but after a john force 2nd-gear 120mph burnout past the lights, the throttle stuck at 4k and I couldn't back up... HA so I never got to try that, and called it a night.

Honestly I think even the 11.5 could have been cut easily to 10s, but being my first time out with the car.... I just had to get it all right in my mind. I had never before used the linelock / transbrake or nitrous seeing as I finished installing+wiring all 3 earlier that day.

Felt good to have everything run right, and know the tune was safe... I have invested hundreds of hours of labor in this car so far this summer... now I'm ready for ~35psi? I had intended to run on 24-28psi yesterday, but 1. HKS EVC EZII wouldnt work, 2. MBC laid down on me as well :/ I even tried just screwing it in all the way.. no luck
Old 06-22-05, 09:02 AM
gowest
Driver

is it 2JZ or 1JZ.

11.5 sec is very impressive.
Old 06-22-05, 09:36 AM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

NICE!!!! Go back and give SW and I a run for our money

Glad to see everything is coming together.

Chris
Old 06-22-05, 10:29 AM
ravaz
Driver School Candidate

Good job Hal.

It's a N/A block right? Stock rods/pistons? Or did you build the bottom.

Bill
Old 06-22-05, 11:25 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

Felt good to have everything run right, and know the tune was safe... I have invested hundreds of hours of labor in this car so far this summer... now I'm ready for ~35psi? I had intended to run on 24-28psi yesterday, but 1. HKS EVC EZII wouldnt work, 2. MBC laid down on me as well :/ I even tried just screwing it in all the way.. no luck
I am not sure what kind of MBC you have, but if it is easily taken apart, you can unscrew it, grab the little spring from inside, and pull on it to stretch it out a bit. Then re-assemble and you should be able to adjust to higher boost with it.

Nice run!! 11.5 on what sounds like a slow run for your car. Can't wait to see what it will do with the boost turned up
Old 06-22-05, 11:33 AM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why does everyone pic on the mustangs lol.... jk Nice run man. I liked how you still ran that stang down and beat it with that big head start. Did you have any wheelhop?
Old 06-22-05, 12:04 PM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

The slip is out in the car, still on the trailer (all 1/4 tracks are strategically 2 hours away.) I think the 60' was 1.9, it was by no means a good launch either - and you can see how long it took in the video to spool. On turbo alone, it stalls around 3300 (supposed to be 3800, and it ran 14.0 on turbo only), and with a 75shot it stalls around 4200 on the transbrake - still too tight. Boost comes in around 5k , and the car really wakes up at 6 which leaves a good powerband revving to 9.

Ah, gotcha...well, you'll get it figured out with a few more passes. As for your launches...well, let's be honest 1.9x is horrible!

I had/have the same issue - on boost alone, even on the brake it'll peg 3000rpm and just sit there...bad, very bad. Are you spraying the car AS you leave the line or as the lights fall?

When I sprayed as I left my 60's went from 2.3x to 1.9x. When I started to spray AS the last 2 yellows were falling I started getting 1.50-1.55 60's on just the foot brake.

A 75 and def a 100shot sprayed on the brake as the lights fall should get all but the biggest turbo to 60-foot great. For reference, I can build 10psi of boost in NO time on the brake, this is on a gt47-80mm turbo - spraying a 90shot.

9000rpm...whew...i'm jealous!

Jay
Old 06-22-05, 03:03 PM
turbo6
Pole Position

No wheelhop, and it's a 2JZ.... gte head, GE bottom - with minor mods

Jay, I do agree 1.9 is pathetic. Thanks for the tips - I'll def. try that. I was just touching spray for a split second on the transbrake, then launching on the spray too... and it was hitting hard I guess around the 150-200ft mark. I will definitely try spraying as the lights drop!

I'll try pulling the spring out more in the MBC, but I think it is just junk... with it all the way in now it's building 0psi additional boost. I think I'll pick up a hallman or something, or ideally try another EBC

Pending weather in 1-2weeks, myself and ~3 others are going to rent out an 1/8 track for an evening just to dial in our cars... hopefully I'll be on 30-40psi by then, and I may prep the street at like 3am one night this week and practice there too.

Quick Reply: first time at the 1/4 in my SC