Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo talk................

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-05, 11:46 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qtb33
FYI pressure dosn't work like this. You cannot run a system with one turbo at 8psi and another at 10psi and claim you have 18psi. In fact if you do this, you'll only end up with 8psi and one dead turbo that was KIA fron huge amounts of compressor surge.

If you run twins or more than one turbo heres what you'll generally see. (I'm just making number up here, but you should get the idea)

Turbo 1 running (lets say) 8psi at 20 lbm/min
Turbo 2 running the same 8 psi and the same 20 lbm/min

Final results will be 8 psi and 40lbm/min.

Now if you run them in series or parallel is where you are going to see differences in pressures in turbos but once full boost is attained I'll bet good money they run the same pressures.
Close, but no. First off, anybody that talks about having "a turbo running 8psi" drives me bonkers. Boost in only created by a restriction known as the engine. Now, If you have one turbo flowing 20lb/min at creating 8psi of boost and you add another turbo flowing 20lb/min, you will have 40 lb/min of flow, which has to go somewhere, which will equal more boost.
Old 06-29-05, 11:49 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PHLSingle
Basically you guys are talking about compound turbo charging, for the most part. I did see some other posts about sequential...and did I see someone mention 3 turbos?!

Diesel guys have been doing this for years:
http://www.piersdiesel.com/DodgeTwins.htm

And search on supraforums...there is a thread PAGES long on this...
Compound Turbo charging has not been mentioned in this thread. The thread starter has always stated the "exhaust" coming out of the first turbos. Compound turbo charging is pretty neat, and quite effective when large pressure ratios are required.
Old 06-29-05, 11:54 AM
Dramon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The benefit that a twin setup has over a big single is you can make the same amount of hp at lower boost.
Old 06-29-05, 11:59 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dramon
The benefit that a twin setup has over a big single is you can make the same amount of hp at lower boost.
The only time this would be true is if there was nobody made a single turbo big enough to flow the same as the two twins. This however is not the case for any of our applications.
Old 06-29-05, 12:02 PM
Dramon
Driver

It's true.... Two twins will flow similar air at lower boost than a bigger single.\

Take two T04E's and run them in a twin setup and you can hit 400s without going over 10 psi. Versus having to run 17 with a gt35/40 to get the same results.

And I thought we were talking about twin turbo setupts in general.

Last edited by Dramon; 06-29-05 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 12:11 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

It's true.... Two twins will flow similar air at lower boost than a bigger single.

This is completely false. This is like saying a Honda is faster than a Toyota. You aren't quantifying either one.

By your logic, a pair of T25's will flow more pounds per minute at 20psi than a T88 at the same pressure.

Well guess what. They don't. It's much less air and it's much hotter air coming thru those T25's.
Old 06-29-05, 12:13 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
This is completely false. This is like saying a Honda is faster than a Toyota. You aren't quantifying either one.

By your logic, a pair of T25's will flow more pounds per minute at 20psi than a T88 at the same pressure.

Well guess what. They don't. It's much less air and it's much hotter air coming thru those T25's.
How did t25's even get into this conversation. It has nothing to do with how much pressure.

A t25 ran at 20psi will flow a ****load hotter air and much less than a 60-1 at 12.

Thats why the question "how much psi" are you running really doesnt really mean **** unless you know their turbo setup.
Old 06-29-05, 12:22 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

How did t25's even get into this conversation.
You mentioned two turbos was better than one so I used T25's and a T88 as the example to illustrate the faulty logic in that statement.

It has nothing to do with how much pressure.
You just said it did by saying:
Two twins will flow similar air at lower boost than a bigger single.\
A t25 ran at 20psi will flow a ****load hotter air and much less than a 60-1 at 12.
That was exactly my point, yes. So now you're saying one turbo is better than two?

Thats why the question "how much psi" are you running really doesnt really mean **** unless you know their turbo setup.
Agreed. But you are contradicting yourself. Two posts up you said Two is better than one at any given PSI.

Glad you agree it's not true now.
Old 06-29-05, 12:24 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

It's true.... Two twins will flow similar air at lower boost than a bigger single.\

Take two T04E's and run them in a twin setup and you can hit 400s without going over 10 psi. Versus having to run 17 with a gt35/40 to get the same results.

You're an idiot. Yes, a slightly larger turbo will not make near as much power at the same boost as two slightly smaller twins, but that has nothing to do with a blanket statement that twins make more HP at less boost than a big single. HEY! guess what? Those slightly smaller twins will also spool much later than the slightly larger single. Therefore by your logic, a big single spools faster than twins!!
Old 06-29-05, 12:32 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
You mentioned two turbos was better than one so I used T25's and a T88 as the example to illustrate the faulty logic in that statement.

You just said it did by saying:

That was exactly my point, yes. So now you're saying one turbo is better than two?

Agreed. But you are contradicting yourself. Two posts up you said Two is better than one at any given PSI.

Glad you agree it's not true now.
When did I say that twins were better? I said benefit in a generic sense. Having a benefit and being better are two different things. I never said they were better. Thats their benefit, thats really their only benefit. Outside of that a single is worlds better and I dont even know if you can really say that its a huge benefit.

So by your logic me saying that the benefit of a supercharger over a turbo is no lag, I would be saying that a supercharger is better than a turbo?

1) When I say flow I meant in terms of how cfm it flows, not boost pressure.

2) I edited my post to fix what I said earlier right before you made your post.

3) I NEVER said that twins will make mroe hp. I said you can hit the similar numbers at lower boost. And thats true. I know its a blanket statement. And yes its right.

4) I never said that twins were better than a big single anywhere. Twins are more complicated of a setup to run and you run into more space constraints than just slapping a huge turbo in.

5) i never said anyhting about spool times on a twin setup versus a single. You're pulling this by your logic crap out of your own ***. I NEVER said any of this. I just added the only real difference of a twin setup over a single is that you can flow the same air at lower boost. I never said anything about spool and I specifically said same amount of air and hit same hp numbers at lower boost. It was a generic blanket statement and I dont see why youre jumping all over me, jump over the kids talking about what diesel's do if youre going to jump on anyone.

Last edited by Dramon; 06-29-05 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 12:50 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

dramon, im not jumping on your case but, maybe you shouldnt generalize so much because people who dont know crap might think that if they have twin t25s they can produce the same amount of power as if they had a t88
say something more like slightly smaller twins can produce the same power that a larger single does at lower boost levels, then people wont think you mean that any tt set-up can produce the same amount of power as any large single set-up at lower boost levels
Old 06-29-05, 12:52 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
dramon maybe you shouldnt generalize so much because people who dont know crap might think that if they have twin t25s they can produce the same amount of power as if they had a t88
say something more like slightly smaller twins can produce the same power that a larger single does at lower boost levels, then people wont think you mean that any tt set-up can produce the same amount of power as any large single set-up at lower boost levels
I apologize for generalizing that much and i'll try to make sure I do a better job of clarifying in the future. Though honestly you should know that two t25s cant produce the same power as a t88h. That was an extreme example.

And seriously, you guys know you were trolling.
Old 06-29-05, 01:00 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sure most everybody knows that but there are some idiots out there... everyone knows that
i agree that some of you turbo veterans out there probably shouldnt have jumped on his case so hard, but rather have pointed out his generalization as being a bit to extreme, as i did
if people come on here and start talking about turbos that dont know crap and they get made fun of, or called idiots then how are they ever going to learn about it, and why would they if there just going to be made to feel dumb, i dont know much about the details of turbochargers but im trying to learn, i dont want to be another person who just throws money at there car and has a shop do all the tuning and installation so im trying to learn how to do it myself, and ive come pretty far thanks to these forums

Last edited by FortuneLS; 06-29-05 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-29-05, 01:12 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

...3) I NEVER said that twins will make mroe hp. I said you can hit the similar numbers at lower boost. And thats true. I know its a blanket statement. And yes its right............................................difference of a twin setup over a single is that you can flow the same air at lower boost.
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG!!! Hp at a given boost level on the same engine will correlate directly with the mass of air the engine is ingesting. The mass of air flowed in relation to boost depends on compressor efficiency at a particular pressure ratio. The number of turbos have nothing to do with the compressor efficiency. If you have one turbo capable of flowing 50lbs/min at X efficiency, then two smaller turbos capable of flowing 25lbs/min at X efficiency will produce the exact same hp considering all other variables equal. PERIOD!
Old 06-29-05, 01:16 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
...if people come on here and start talking about turbos that dont know crap and they get made fun of, or called idiots then how are they ever going to learn about it, and why would they if there just going to be made to feel dumb, i dont know much about the details of turbochargers but im trying to learn, i dont want to be another person who just throws money at there car and has a shop do all the tuning and installation so im trying to learn how to do it myself, and ive come pretty far thanks to these forums
That fine. Wanting to learn is great. But when you are a NEWB to a forum and you start trying to correct "veterans", when you are blatantly wrong, you are going to get flamed or called an idiot. Period.

Quick Reply: turbo talk................