Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbo talk................

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-05, 12:06 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dramon
I'm still not seeing where I said they'd make more hp.

I said that they'd flow SIMILAR air.

similar does not mean more.

Two smaller turbos can flow similar air to a single bigger turbo at lower boost levels. Granted the turbos have to be similarly sized. Of course two t25's wont flow the same amount compared to a t88 at lower boost, but i'm pretty sure two t04e's would flow about the same as say a gt35/40 at lower boost levels.
WTF is similar air? Jesus christ. Similar volume? Similar mass? Simliar color? Similar smell?

Point blank, you made blanket comments about twins versus big singles that were wrong.

For instance:

The benefit that a twin setup has over a big single is you can make the same amount of hp at lower boost.
You can't make a statement like that because it is utterly WRONG! It's the exact same as saying V8's make more hp than V6s. What if the V8 is a 3.0l and the V6 is a 4.0l , or the V8 only revs to 4000rpm and the V6 is a 10000rpm motor. You can't make statements like that because what really matters is the specifics, not just the number of cylinders, or in our case, number of turbos. In the end , there is NO STATEMENT that can be made regarding twins versus single turbos regarding hp or flowing "similar air" without talking about the specific size of the turbos involved.
Old 06-30-05, 12:16 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm still not seeing where I said they'd make more hp.
Are we looking at the same words?

I said that they'd flow SIMILAR air.
similar does not mean more.
Yep you did say SIMILAR air. Except you said at LESS BOOST.

Similar air at less boost is what?

More power at the same boost. Exactly what you denied saying.

Dude, you contradicted yourself, that's it. If it was grammatical error, fine. I don't care. Fact is you swore one thing, and then swore the exact opposite when we pointed out it was false. I never jumped down your throat. I just pointed out false (or poorly worded) info so no turbo newbs or people trying to learn would get the wrong idea.

That's it.
Old 06-30-05, 12:16 PM
Dramon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300tt
WTF is similar air? Jesus christ. Similar volume? Similar mass? Simliar color? Similar smell?

Point blank, you made blanket comments about twins versus big singles that were wrong.

For instance:

You can't make a statement like that because it is utterly WRONG! It's the exact same as saying V8's make more hp than V6s. What if the V8 is a 3.0l and the V6 is a 4.0l , or the V8 only revs to 4000rpm and the V6 is a 10000rpm motor. You can't make statements like that because what really matters is the specifics, not just the number of cylinders, or in our case, number of turbos. In the end , there is NO STATEMENT that can be made regarding twins versus single turbos regarding hp or flowing "similar air" without talking about the specific size of the turbos involved.
Didnt notice another page. Read my edited post above this one. And yes. I agree. I made the statement earlier I shouldve clarified about the size of the turbo. And yes i'll be more specific in the future. You keep pounding into the ground my initial statement. Well if you've actuallyy been reading what i've been writing i've expounded on it yet you dont seem top be payin gattention.
Old 06-30-05, 12:18 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by CleanSC
Are we looking at the same words?

Yep you did say SIMILAR air. Except you said at LESS BOOST.

Similar air at less boost is what?

More power at the same boost. Exactly what you denied saying.

Dude, you contradicted yourself, that's it. If it was grammatical error, fine. I don't care. Fact is you swore one thing, and then swore the exact opposite when we pointed out it was false. I never jumped down your throat. I just pointed out false (or poorly worded) info so no turbo newbs or people trying to learn would get the wrong idea.

That's it.
Note 1) i meant CE not VE my bad.

2) More power at same boost you cant say that though because on smaller turbos they could be put out of their efficiency range at higher boost levels so it might not neccessarily be true they may make a little bit more but it all depends. I made one statement that I know was vague. I realize that and i'm sorry. But then eveyrone else came in and made a ****load of other things out of that. This isnt algebra. And numbers dont line up like that in the car world. There are too many other variables. I was vague in my initial statements so I went back and I have been and did clarify. I apologize. Admit it though, your first few arguements against me were vague too.

This thread is seriously turning into this.

"My car has 4 wheels."

"You just said that youre car isnt a motorcycle."

"I just said that it has 4 wheels on it that touch the ground."

"Ya but by your logic if your car has 4 wheels then it cant be a motorcycle becuase they only have 2"

I just said that I have a car. Which I suppose is the same thing as swearing that I dont have a motorcycle, but at the same time, relaly not what I said at all.

Well ****, so I guess we're both right. Win win, hooray for us. Now lets quit argueing and acting like *******s to each other.

Last edited by Dramon; 06-30-05 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-30-05, 12:40 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

This entire argument evolved from your inference that twins had some type of actual advantage over a single. You maintened that argument throughout this thread.....you can backtrack all you want. But you have been arguing with multiple people in this thread because of making generalizations like this :

I just added the only real difference of a twin setup over a single is that you can flow the same air at lower boost. I never said anything about spool and I specifically said same amount of air and hit same hp numbers at lower boost. It was a generic blanket statement
You even admit it right there that it was a blanket statement......a blanket statement which is wrong. You tried correcting me initially that :

It's true.... Two twins will flow similar air at lower boost than a bigger single
At least in your last posts, you have admitted your error, but don't act like you had been making correct statements that we misunderstood.
Old 06-30-05, 01:00 PM
sc3boost
Pole Position

it's nice when we can all get along

i personally think that there is no BETTER setup period, the advantages of one are the dissadvantages of another.

it's like the 1jz /7m argument, there is no correct answer.

just race and settle it, TT vs single, looser get's to be quiet
Old 06-30-05, 01:05 PM
Dramon
Driver

This entire argument evolved from your inference that twins had some type of actual advantage over a single. You maintened that argument throughout this thread.....you can backtrack all you want. But you have been arguing with multiple people in this thread because of making generalizations like this :

You even admit it right there that it was a blanket statement......a blanket statement which is wrong. You tried correcting me initially that :

At least in your last posts, you have admitted your error, but don't act like you had been making correct statements that we misunderstood.
You were just as correct as I was about things. ANd part of the reason that the thread went in that direction was becuas eyou lead it there. You can backtrack all you want too and I expounded and clarified on what I was saying. And I never really called it an advantage. I called it a benefit once. I'm sorry, poor choice of words...ONCE. So, are you done jumping all over me?

Everyone thinks after this thread that I think that twins are the **** and that singles suck. No....twins are more complicated of a setup, And the only advantage that they used to have was spool in sequential setups, but with advances in turbos that has been negated becuase the simplicity of a single is so much more than twins. In addition twins are going to be harder to fit in your engine bay and run plumbing for as well as more expensive a setup to run.

Except, maybe I shouldnt have made that comment becuase now youre going to prove me wrong becuase i'm making statements that will confuse the newbs. Now I suppose you'll say, but its not true in a V engine configuration!!! Well, go for it. Nitpick all you want. It's yours.
Old 06-30-05, 09:07 PM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Note 1) i meant CE not VE my bad.
one ? whats CE and VE?
Old 06-30-05, 10:24 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by FortuneSC
one ? whats CE and VE?
Compressor Efficiency and Volumetric Efficiency. The first refers to turbos and the second refers to engines.
Old 07-01-05, 06:31 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

This thread makes baby jesus cry....

side note - I'll race my single against some twins if you all wanna settle it!
Old 07-01-05, 08:06 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Compressor Efficiency and Volumetric Efficiency. The first refers to turbos and the second refers to engines.
got it, thanks
Old 07-01-05, 05:25 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm. ill be nice. but i will also warn you that you should look arround before you join a forum and start arguing with people that have been here for many many many years. (im not calling you old clint ) just my oppinion. not trying to be a ****, just calling it as i see it.
Old 07-01-05, 05:51 PM
2jznat
Pole Position

this is fun because i press the pedal to the floor and my car goes, don't know about this other stuff to join the fight