Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

everyone with a 2JZ GTE in their sc

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-05, 01:20 PM
Texas2jz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the USDM 2jzgte's MAP and MAF meter'd? See the reason I ask is the SC300 w/2jzgte I am buying, the owner says I will need a MAP sensor to get it to run with the stock ecu.
The car currently has one or two bad coils and the stock MAP is broken, thats what he says.

Also my '92 MR2T runs an AFM and an internal MAP sensor!

Damn Supra Forums has been down for almost 2 days!
Old 07-12-05, 01:59 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess he has the JDM 2jz-gte in it if he sayd you need a new map sensor. The US 2jz's were MAF. Although I think there were some that were MAP iirc
Old 07-12-05, 10:09 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SCoupe
The JDM based 2jz-gte wiring harness is not a direct plug into our US based SC's. The JDM harness is flipped around for the right hand drive (or is it left hand, whatever the hell, its opposite our USDMs). Some of the lengths are too short and some too long. You will need to be able to work with this stuff or buy a USDM based harness. That's a pricey part, ($650-700 I think from Carson or Elmhurst), its very hard to come by a used one in good shape.

imho, a front clip of a jdm Supra would bring you a wealth of needed parts that you will end up needing. Radiator, SMIC, Ignitor, Power Steering Res, better sway bar, the bigger front brake calipers, rotors, oil pan in the right place, motor mounts and other parts you'll end up needing. Do not underestimate what that is worth to just have the freaking parts sitting there on that clip, a virtual parts bin. Some of them seem to come with the Getrag 6-speed that you can easily sell for $2500 if you stick with your five speed, better keep your rwhp in the low 400's or you'll need that Getrag, but thats another bunch of money, search is your friend.
Thanks for the info
But these are well known facts and have already been discussed quite a bit in other threads

The idea is to use a USDM wiring harness with the USDM parts (MAF + 550cc injectors), etc
plugs right into the JDM motor that way and wires up the same way a regular supra harness would into a SC300
Old 07-12-05, 10:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by got_trd
I guess he has the JDM 2jz-gte in it if he sayd you need a new map sensor. The US 2jz's were MAF. Although I think there were some that were MAP iirc
Nah I dont think any of the USDM motors were MAP...

with ODB2 I think they switched over to a different MAF sensor than what is on the 93.5-96s?
Old 07-13-05, 05:53 AM
Texas2jz
Rookie

Found out the 2jzgte is just like the 3sgte in the sense that they both run a type of AFM and they both use a MAP sensor also.

Thanks for the input everyone ,
Gregg
Old 07-14-05, 04:02 AM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

the only use for map sensor on the gte motor is for fuel cut and i believe 9/12v operation of the fuel pump ecu. the ecu reads the air flow from the maf.
Old 07-14-05, 06:07 AM
Texas2jz
Rookie

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
the only use for map sensor on the gte motor is for fuel cut and i believe 9/12v operation of the fuel pump ecu. the ecu reads the air flow from the maf.
That what I was told also, thanks.

Gregg
Old 07-14-05, 02:42 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 5spdSC300
A few other points:

1) the MAF is an intake side air restriction
2) MAF's really don't do so well w/ BOVs that vent to atmo (it creates a rich condition on shifts)
3) MAP is used w/ aftermarket EMS solutions (A***s for example)

Because the sensor is typically mounted in the intake manifold, post turbo, it gives a more accurate reading of the actual airflow the engine is "seeing." MAP sensors also have the same resolution regardless of their maximum reading -- 3.5 bars or 5 bars.

I'm sure if someone like clint would care to chime in, he can speak in far more detail that I ever could... his dual MAF setup comes to mind.

John
Old 07-16-05, 03:00 PM
Texas2jz
Rookie

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
A few other points:

1) the MAF is an intake side air restriction
2) MAF's really don't do so well w/ BOVs that vent to atmo (it creates a rich condition on shifts)
3) MAP is used w/ aftermarket EMS solutions (A***s for example)

Because the sensor is typically mounted in the intake manifold, post turbo, it gives a more accurate reading of the actual airflow the engine is "seeing." MAP sensors also have the same resolution regardless of their maximum reading -- 3.5 bars or 5 bars.

I'm sure if someone like clint would care to chime in, he can speak in far more detail that I ever could... his dual MAF setup comes to mind.

John
John,
Thanks for the input although I already know the "points" you pointed out. I guess I should have asked " does the 2jzgte run both a MAF and MAP when still on the stock ecu such as the MR2T does?"
I do appreciate everyones help and input though thank you,
Gregg