Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does this sound like a blown fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 12:55 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this sound like a blown fuel pump?

I drove my car once today about 5 miles to to get on the bus for our away baseball game...it ran perfect no problems.. I knew I was low on gas ( the needle was barely touching the E line) When we got back I was going to fill her up. so anyways, we get back and the car starts with no problem it idled for about 3-4 minutes before I put it in drive to leave..then the car started jumping sputtering a little. I get to the red light to exit the parking lot and no the idle is very bad, the car is acting like it wants to die with sputtering idle. Light turns green and I hit the gas but all I get is 5-10mph and a nasty sputter. Now Im scared so i pull over and there is a nasty smell almost like burnt gas in the car...The car revs horrible like the plugs are shot..which they aren't I dont think because that problem was addressed about 5 months ago. I was able to put 2 gallons of gas in the car with a gas can that my friend brought me but when I started the car after that...the problem was still there. BTW the car starts perfect. I read some post in here and am thinking my fuel pump is shot..what do you guys think? my car is still in a parking lot right now which sucks!

Last edited by FireCode; 07-03-05 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-03-05, 08:55 AM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

kinda sounds like you picked up all the debris on the bottom of your tank and sent it through your fuel lines and into the engine.
Old 07-03-05, 09:43 AM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

well if that were the case that would be horrible right? Its not like that stuff can be cleaned out right? I would really like to drop a huge F bomb right now!
Old 07-09-05, 12:11 AM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Check your spark plugs. I'm sure you've fouled one. I have the same problem you do, and I changed my plugs, and it ran good for a little while until I pulled them again and realized I had an oil leak in one of my cylinders...Unfortunately my compression gauge was unable to thread on it (cyl #6) and I'm not sure if its rings, gasket or a seal.

So hope that your not in the same boat as me, and pray that all you have is some fuel fouled plugs from running it low on fuel.
Old 07-09-05, 12:51 AM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

yea thats probably it
Old 07-09-05, 09:36 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

The problem was clogged Cats
Old 07-10-05, 09:55 AM
cal9126
Pole Position

if you run oin empty quite often and you let the stuff in the bottom of you tank get cycled through the car what are some of the things that would need to be replaced or would the whole car be shot???????
Old 07-11-05, 04:37 PM
5spdSC300
Lead Lap

i know there is crap at the bottem of the gas tank but i figure thats the reason there is a filter at the end of the fuel pump and a fuel filter before the fuel reaches the fuel rail. i would like to believe that these filters will pick up most of the crap that can do damage to you engine. im sure there are still small particals that get through but nothing major to cause problems unless your just sucking up all the crap thats been sitting at the bottem of your gas tank. i've ran out of gas driving (i know im an idiot thinking i can get home from work while the light was on when i drove to work in the morning ) and after filling her back up the car ran perfectly fine as it did before i ran out of gas. any debri is bad for an engine but i don't think simply running out of gas would ruin your car. im sure there are the exceptions but to avoid this all together would be to just fill her up before you go empty.