Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

uh turbo time NA-T feed me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-05, 06:04 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

My fellow sc300 enthusiasts, here are the best shipped prices I found for ARP headstuds and a supra TT headgasket. If you find them cheaper, pls post in this thread. .

ARP Head Studs: $125 www.competitionwarehouseusa.com
Supra TT headgasket: $92.43 www.carjunky.com

Total: $217.43
Old 11-28-05, 06:11 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
My fellow sc300 enthusiasts, here are the best shipped prices I found for ARP headstuds and a supra TT headgasket. If you find them cheaper, pls post in this thread. .

ARP Head Studs: $125 www.competitionwarehouseusa.com
Supra TT headgasket: $92.43 www.carjunky.com

Total: $217.43

Damn those are excellent prices thanks.
Old 11-28-05, 08:19 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

What do you all think of this muffler?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=617

I can get these for ~$67 shipped to your doorstep EACH. If this company follows through properly, I'll post link here, but they have to prove themselves first . Planning to order 2 of them tomorrow
Old 11-29-05, 01:26 PM
chidoks
Pole Position

good luck with the project
Old 11-29-05, 03:25 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Question

Originally Posted by chidoks
good luck with the project
I could sure use some "wisdom" from all of you car enthusiasts at this point. They got the car running at the shop..turns out I didn't bolt that ecu bolt all the way in, so ecu wasn't getting powered = no spark.

New Problem: Timing belt keeps skipping gear teeth on the cam wheels after the car is revved and it tries to settle into idle.

The Timing Belt tensioner has been changed as well as idler pulling and timing belt itself.
This is a stock 2JZ-GE engine. Nothing on it has been change..i.e cam wheels are stock, etc. The only mods are the DaveH manifold + turbo parts that are installed.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? This needs to be figured out before the project can continue and thicker headgket can be installed . Any help from all of you would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dejacky; 11-29-05 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-29-05, 03:36 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could sure use some "wisdom" from all of you car enthusiasts at this point. They got the car running at the shop..turns out I didn't bolt that ecu bolt all the way in, so ecu wasn't getting powered = no spark.

New Problem: Timing belt keeps skipping gear teeth on the cam wheels after the car is revved and it tries to settle into idle.

The Timing Belt tensioner has been changed as well as idler pulling and timing belt itself.
This is a stock 2JZ-GE engine. Nothing on it has been change..i.e cam wheels are stock, etc. The only mods are the DaveH manifold + turbo parts that are installed.

Has anyone ever experienced this before? This needs to be figured out before the project can continue and thicker headgket can be installed . Any help from all of you would be greatly appreciated.
put more tension on the timing belt tensioner!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-05, 03:37 PM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Hmmm..

1) they are using the correct belt?
2) All the teath on the cam gears intact?
3) Belt tension is good?
Old 11-29-05, 03:44 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

Originally Posted by MadMaxxNA
Hmmm..

1) they are using the correct belt?
2) All the teath on the cam gears intact?
3) Belt tension is good?
From what I understand YES to 1 & 2. All the stock parts were replaced with OEM Toyota parts.
Old 11-29-05, 04:05 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

try double checking the tensioner. doesnt mean you got a new but defective unit. check to see if there is oil or grease on the gears, then finally recheck the belt. thats all i can think of right now
Old 11-29-05, 04:18 PM
nyARISTO
Sunroof Surfer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

wow......... that was a long project...........
Old 11-30-05, 01:01 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

technicians called me back and referenced Toyota's service books confirming that it IS possible for the valves to hit the cylinder, thus making the engine an "interference engine" able to bend valves! wth?
Old 11-30-05, 01:37 PM
deruvian
Driver

technicians called me back and referenced Toyota's service books confirming that it IS possible for the valves to hit the cylinder, thus making the engine an "interference engine" able to bend valves! wth?
Everything that I've read has stated that the 2JZ is non-interference. I believe that it takes at least an additional 1mm of lift to risk valve interference.

Old 11-30-05, 05:07 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Unhappy

After removing the timing belt, exhaust cam wheel moves fine, but the Intake cam wheel does not move fine at all...after taking the intake valve cover gasket off, it looks like the intake cam cover was damaged. The 2nd picture you see of it is after a technician at Toyota filed it out with some sand paper type material. Although he thought it would be wiser to just get a new head. How did it get damaged? .

Perhaps some abrasive particle came out of the turbo and made its way up into that small oil hole on the cam and destroyed the groove?

Old 11-30-05, 05:40 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

where the cams removed ever? if so what were they torqued at when put back on and was a lubricant used in the process? im thinking either your theory of something getting in there to do that or else the cap was torqued too tight and had a lack of oil at somepoint in time and just destroyed itself.
Old 11-30-05, 05:48 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Cams were never touched. I only went as far as to change valve cover gaskets..thats it.

Quick Reply: uh turbo time NA-T feed me!