Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ monsters

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-05, 09:59 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pass1914
Here are some from my old car, supra w/1jz and PT61GT turbo !
how much boost were you running? I take it that pull was on race gas. What are all your mods?
Old 08-02-05, 10:31 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KingSoarer
Yeah with that much boost running through the T78 you should be hitting around 565rwhp roughly. Im currently almost at 500rwhp running only 1 bar. This is my dilemma, i wanna run the turbo at a safe level that it was designed for, but i can’t find much info on where boost will be still safe for the turbo. I've been told at between 22-27 (1.5- 1.8) is still safe and is the most efficient for the turbo, coz need clarification on this. Running that much boost should see me run around 600rwhp+

Should be good to see your results when done. Also are you gonna run any NOS? I've been playing around with the idea for a while now and have decided that ill be going down this path. It will only be using probably either a 75hp kit or 100hp kit to help the turbo spool up and eliminate most of the lag. I've researched it a fair bit and it should do wonders. Also my friend who runs his S15 Silvia in the low 11's gave me the low down on the benefits as he has spent countless hours fine tuning his drag S15 and he praises NOS for eliminating most of the lag he suffers from his T51R.

Are any guys running Nitrous in the States? I know there is 2 SC300 running it in Australia. Any opinions?
NOS for the win!
Old 08-02-05, 11:02 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300tt
NOS for the win!
Two of the big ones for teh double win!!!
Old 08-03-05, 06:42 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah with that much boost running through the T78 you should be hitting around 565rwhp roughly. Im currently almost at 500rwhp running only 1 bar. This is my dilemma, i wanna run the turbo at a safe level that it was designed for, but i can’t find much info on where boost will be still safe for the turbo. I've been told at between 22-27 (1.5- 1.8) is still safe and is the most efficient for the turbo, coz need clarification on this. Running that much boost should see me run around 600rwhp+

Should be good to see your results when done. Also are you gonna run any NOS? I've been playing around with the idea for a while now and have decided that ill be going down this path. It will only be using probably either a 75hp kit or 100hp kit to help the turbo spool up and eliminate most of the lag. I've researched it a fair bit and it should do wonders. Also my friend who runs his S15 Silvia in the low 11's gave me the low down on the benefits as he has spent countless hours fine tuning his drag S15 and he praises NOS for eliminating most of the lag he suffers from his T51R.

Are any guys running Nitrous in the States? I know there is 2 SC300 running it in Australia. Any opinions?
The T78 can easily run 28 lbs ~ 2 bar of boost. It isn't a matter of being "safe" for the turbo, it is your block that needs to be secured of a limit. I know the 2JZGTE blocks on stock form have been able to hit 1000 hp.... luckily. There is a rumor circulating around that 1JZ block internals are forged, so that potentially could mean that our blocks could take similar abusive boost levels. I wouldn't put all my eggs into one basket on that one though. So as long as your block is built with the stronger internals, high boost would not be an issue, until you run into the area of how much boost is too much for the compressor wheel of the turbo.

As for NOS? well, if you drag race your car, then yes. Yes, I would run NOS to eliminate the lag response. However, I daily drive my car so being able to use NOS, let alone boost more than 14 lbs in Los Angeles traffic, is going to be super rare if not non-existent. So to answer your NOS inquiry, I would have to say "no" for me. Personally? I would use the NOS as an intercooler "chiller."
Old 08-03-05, 06:56 AM
GRIFFIN TT
Driver

where did you get your t78 kit from?
When do you expect to make 1 bar (full boost for you )with that turbo
Old 08-03-05, 07:09 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRIFFIN TT
where did you get your t78 kit from?
When do you expect to make 1 bar (full boost for you )with that turbo
Me or Kingsoarer?

I'm not sure where he got his, but I got mine straight from GReddy a lil over a year ago. Took about 6-7 months to arrive from Japan and ordered back in December 2003!

For hitting 1bar of boost, there is no way that I can hit that on the local streets during the day. The only times, I will actually see that kind of boost power would be on the freeway on ramp and really late at night on open highway.
Old 08-13-05, 05:34 AM
KingSoarer
Pole Position

Hey so any news on your car yet? How is she going? All finished and ready to be put on the dyno?
Old 08-13-05, 09:51 AM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

hey kaotiq, how did the installation of the Greddy Ultimate go?

I might need help in the future to install the thing if I get the ultimate instead of the blue/VPC combo.
Old 08-13-05, 12:02 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
hey kaotiq, how did the installation of the Greddy Ultimate go?

I might need help in the future to install the thing if I get the ultimate instead of the blue/VPC combo.

King: Install is put on hold now because of the ECU issues. GReddy has some problems with their ultimate system

Idrew: I held off on the install with the GReddy ultimate after conferring with some of the supra bretheren. There are some firmware issues and it doesn't seem like GReddy will have it solved soon. I am debating now whether or not to go with the AEM or Power FC. The AEM looks great, but I am confused as to how to keep the AC function running. I believe CleanSC has solved it for the 2JZGE ecu, but not sure on the 1JZ.
Old 08-13-05, 06:24 PM
pass1914
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RjRacing
how much boost were you running? I take it that pull was on race gas. What are all your mods?
28psi, C-16, greddy 4-row, 256 cams ,540cc inj. etc. etc.
Old 08-13-05, 08:28 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kaotiq
King: Install is put on hold now because of the ECU issues. GReddy has some problems with their ultimate system

Idrew: I held off on the install with the GReddy ultimate after conferring with some of the supra bretheren. There are some firmware issues and it doesn't seem like GReddy will have it solved soon. I am debating now whether or not to go with the AEM or Power FC. The AEM looks great, but I am confused as to how to keep the AC function running. I believe CleanSC has solved it for the 2JZGE ecu, but not sure on the 1JZ.
Im solving the AEM issue right now, trying to get all functions to work.
Old 08-13-05, 09:24 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JustinDD91
Im solving the AEM issue right now, trying to get all functions to work.

Lemme know what happens bro. THanks!!
Old 08-14-05, 07:53 PM
Arizona
Lead Lap

If I dont do it there are already a bunch of MK3 guys doing it. I bury myself in wiring diagrams everynight. Right now its all on paper as my block is going to the machine shop this week. Whatever issues AEM/1jz have will or to be fixed for me as Iam going to run a high boost(and hopefully horsepower application ) I never like greddy e-mangae as many cars equipped with it have come to my old shop and had problems with it. HKS wont work for as I cant touch it myself only a HKS Pro dealer can, (time and money). AEM is the only management I will run so I have no choice but to figure it out or some one else will before me
Old 08-15-05, 05:48 AM
KingSoarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kaotiq

Why are you hell bent on going with the AEM? What’s wrong with the Power FC? Unless you don’t have anyone good enough or without expertise tunning Power FC's on 1JZ applications then i would go with the AEM. Currently im running with the Power FC in my Soarer and couldn't be happier. My tuner is a mad bastard when tunning it and knows exactly what maps suit my need for huge horsepower figures.
Old 08-15-05, 06:27 AM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Why are you hell bent on going with the AEM? What’s wrong with the Power FC? Unless you don’t have anyone good enough or without expertise tunning Power FC's on 1JZ applications then i would go with the AEM. Currently im running with the Power FC in my Soarer and couldn't be happier. My tuner is a mad bastard when tunning it and knows exactly what maps suit my need for huge horsepower figures.
King, you forget that here in the states, certain support parts for 91-96 JZZ30 non-VVTI 1JZGTEs are very hard to source. I would LOVE to go with the Power FC, but I will be going on a huge wait for it to arrive from Japan or even Australia. I think that I will be waiting a good 1-2 months supposedly. If anyone can source one here in the states for the JZZ30 1JZ, I would love to buy it.

I know the capabilities of the Power FC. My friend had his for his FD and it works great. The AEM is just more readily available here.

Quick Reply: 1JZ monsters