Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

5-speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-05, 11:28 AM
driftinfoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-speed conversion

i've been a big 240 junkie for the past 2-3 years and now theyre gettin to be too popular to me. i dont see too many modded SC's on the road so im goin with one of them. im sellin my s14 for the dough. i cant seem to find many 5-speeds. i wont go without. i'm interested in the 1JZGTE swap and i wanna know how much trouble it would be to convert an auto SC to a manual with a 1JZGTE. if by some strange luck i get an affortable 5-speed SC300 how much trouble would it be to just convert a stock 5 speed SC300 to a 5speed 1JZGTE. im new so please dont flame me i just need to know quick because i cant be carless for very long.
Old 07-29-05, 11:49 AM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's sooooooo much more worth it and wait it out until you get the 5-speed. The swap is possible from auto but much less hassle, time and money to just start with a 5-speed.
Old 07-29-05, 12:18 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 361 Likes on 250 Posts

Yea, you may pay more money for a stock 5-speed over an auto, but in converting an auto to 5 speed you will likely spend more money than the larger amount you would have paid for an already 5 speed. Plus the hassles of gathering the parts which are not ALL THAT common, and finding the time and/or right mechanic to install everything flawlessly will only eat away time, and time = money.
Old 07-29-05, 12:40 PM
spoiledkid
Pole Position

It Really Isn't As Expensive As Everyone Is Telling You Because All You Have To Do Is Go To A Junkyard And Finrd The Other Manual Parts. The Only Hard Part Is Drilling The New Holes For Clutch Master Cylinder And Drilling A Hole In The Foot Well To Get The Clutch Lin Into The Cabin. The Auto To Manual Conversion Process Really Isnt That Big Of A Deal

Last edited by spoiledkid; 07-29-05 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 01:12 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

i got my sc300 and i live in south cali... i looked up like autotrader and junk.. and i cant find anymore in this state...closest i found was Washington.. i recommend getting a 5spd and not an auto..

Regards,

Luke
Old 07-29-05, 03:31 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

If anyones intrested I have most of the parts for the 5-speed swap i might sell.. PM me.
Old 07-29-05, 04:04 PM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

First of all, I did this swap, but instead swapped out to a 6 speed. There isn't much difference when converting to the 5 speed though.

I see some false information in this thread about swapping over. if you get a RHD front clip that is 5 speed, the parts WILL NOT swap over. I bought a r154 equipped Soarer clip and nothing was the same. The pedals, the clutch line, ALL different. I already had my 5 speed conversion parts before I did the swap, but When I stripped the clip, I noticed a HUGE difference.

It doesn't cost a lot either. A brand new clutch pedal is around $41 and My brake pedal was $42(I tried cutting the auto brake pedal smaller, but it just didn't work since my toes kept hitting the bar it's attatched to). Slave cylinders are cheap, the hard line is cheap, the Clutch master is the most expensive, but fairly cheap.

YOU DON"T HAVE TO DRILL IN THE FOOT WELL FOR THE CLUTCH LINE. I drilled three holes on my fire wall and the outline is already there from the factory. Just use a hole saw and drill where the clutch master goes, and drill the 2 holes where you bolt it on. ITs VERY easy to see where you drill.

Depending on the year you get, You might have to cut around the auto shifter hole in the floor board. Since I went with the bigger 6 speed, I cut a bigger hole. the tunnel is spot welded in anyway, so for a measly $153 you can buy the tunnel and liquid nails it or spot weld it back in.

I'm willing to do this again, but since I work crazy hours, I can't afford the time right now. Hell, I was thinking about buying another auto just to convert it for fun!

Here's the Cover I made since I didn't care to buy the $150 tunnel.

The cover isnt lined up with the shifter. I just threw it on there at the time of the photo.

Last edited by DETUNED; 07-29-05 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-29-05, 04:15 PM
RaynArt
Lexus Test Driver

how much did this cost you? and down time? i've played around with the idea cause i know a few guys at a shop that'll do it for a more than fair price but never felt like going thru with it 100%.

also exactly what are ALL the parts needed? every thread i find about auto to 5spd just winds up being "its not worth it". which is fine but still curious as to parts and cost (parts only).

it can be difficult to find a clean 5spd around here, especially 95+ sc300's so sometimes i think about going thru with it.
Old 07-29-05, 10:44 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just dont understand why everyone is willing to convert the auto, but not willing to pay $200 for a plane ticket and fly out to get a 5-speed SC. my first SC came from Oklahoma, and i lived in maryland. the second came from Ohio. trust my guys, its worth it to go and get the car you really want. it may be cheap to convert.. or affordable rather, but you can get 5-speeds all day for about $6000. there are always about 20 on autotrader and one or two on ebay. i know of a really clean one for sale down the road for about $7500, and thats not firm. im just tired of all the treads asking the same question. i know your new, and that all good, but thats why we have a search option. im not trying to flame you, but it seems like common sence to just look for a 5-speed if you dont currently have an SC. as for those of you that have autos and want to convert them, i dont see why you didnt just buy a 5-speed. a lot of people say they spent a lot of time looking, but i found both of my 5-speeds in less than a week each. as for the 240s being too popular, and the SCs not... thats all changing now... many people are getting SCs and modding them. this is quite unfortunate.. just browse these forums, and you will know what im talking about.

bottom line: just find a 5-speed

oh, and welcome to clublexus
Old 07-30-05, 02:10 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ki_soarer
i just dont understand why everyone is willing to convert the auto, but not willing to pay $200 for a plane ticket and fly out to get a 5-speed SC. my first SC came from Oklahoma, and i lived in maryland. the second came from Ohio. trust my guys, its worth it to go and get the car you really want. it may be cheap to convert.. or affordable rather, but you can get 5-speeds all day for about $6000. there are always about 20 on autotrader and one or two on ebay. i know of a really clean one for sale down the road for about $7500, and thats not firm. im just tired of all the treads asking the same question. i know your new, and that all good, but thats why we have a search option. im not trying to flame you, but it seems like common sence to just look for a 5-speed if you dont currently have an SC. as for those of you that have autos and want to convert them, i dont see why you didnt just buy a 5-speed. a lot of people say they spent a lot of time looking, but i found both of my 5-speeds in less than a week each. as for the 240s being too popular, and the SCs not... thats all changing now... many people are getting SCs and modding them. this is quite unfortunate.. just browse these forums, and you will know what im talking about.

bottom line: just find a 5-speed

oh, and welcome to clublexus

Totally agreed. The time, frustration, and money spent costs more than a plane ticket out and driving it back.
Old 07-30-05, 03:58 PM
technol
Lexus Test Driver

if anyones intrested in doing a 5-speed conversion, i have most of the parts for the swap i would probly sell. pm me if intrested.
Old 07-30-05, 05:19 PM
1JZSC
Driver School Candidate

Just buy a 5-speed if you can. The swap isn't hard at all, but it's just easier overall to get a 5 speed. If you can do a motor swap, you can do the 5 speed swap.
Old 07-30-05, 08:55 PM
Dixond
Pole Position

what about if you found a running auto sc3 w/ 230k miles for $1700.
so really i don't know what would be better. we already have the auto sc3, and ideally i want the 6speed. (I know I sound like a fanboy dreaming but I really think that in the next year this is going to happen)
anyway, We have the auto and I want GTE + v160 swap. If we have a running car that has no major frame damage, are there any pros of finding a 95/96 5spd that would outweigh the fact that I already have a 92 auto sc3?
The only thing that I have ever read that I would be missing out on would be:
I'd have to do the whole "auto to manual conversion" thing (which, i'd be swapping in a new tranny anyway, so it hopefully wouldn't be that big of a deal)
AND, I read that supposedly in the earlier SC's, you have to "hammer out" the transmission tunnel?!?! or something like that.
Any advice on what to do?
Stick w/ what I got and strip+rebuild it or don't waste the time and find a 95/96 5spd?

P.S. Yeah I know I talk really big but I'm gonna have someone who knows their ish helping me step by step. This is all a learning process so don't ream me too hard
Old 07-30-05, 09:18 PM
1JZSC
Driver School Candidate

If you already have an SC in great condition, especially if you got a good deal on it, go ahead with the swap. If you haven't already got an SC, your better off looking for a 5-speed.
Old 07-31-05, 09:10 AM
DETUNED
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't have to hammer anything out in my 92

Quick Reply: 5-speed conversion