Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

slow acceleration on my sc400 any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-20, 06:00 PM
SC400EE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sc400 is slow

Can someone tell me how to figure out why my sc400 has a slowly accelerates. There nothing wrong with the engine or the transmission, it just slowly go when I hit the gas. When I hit the gas to the floor it takes off slow and after it gets up to speed then it goes fast
Old 10-08-20, 05:29 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

I may be off base on this but check your air inlet hose from air filter to throttle body for a split. Just went through this with another family car and a new hose was the answer. The split was hiding on the bottom by the way. Good luck.
Old 10-11-20, 10:53 PM
Rattl3r
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
I may be off base on this but check your air inlet hose from air filter to throttle body for a split. Just went through this with another family car and a new hose was the answer. The split was hiding on the bottom by the way. Good luck.
What is the approximate diameter of that hose on a '92 sc400? Where does this hose originate and end? I think that is my problem too.
Old 10-12-20, 06:33 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Good morning Rattl3r,
Locate your air filter, if stock a black box just behind your passenger headlight. There will be a black air hose leading to the throttle body on the engine. Not sure about the diameter on a 400 but should be 3 - 3 1/2 " (maybe 4). For a temporary fix you can use duct tape until you buy one that is if this is your problem. Good luck.
Old 10-17-20, 03:41 PM
Rattl3r
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Good morning Rattl3r,
Locate your air filter, if stock a black box just behind your passenger headlight. There will be a black air hose leading to the throttle body on the engine. Not sure about the diameter on a 400 but should be 3 - 3 1/2 " (maybe 4). For a temporary fix you can use duct tape until you buy one that is if this is your problem. Good luck.
Thank you Bimmerbill for replying,
I replaced the air filter when I did the tune up. In getting the passenger side hoses and air inlet large part out of the way to get to the plugs on the passenger side, I split the ends of at least 2 smaller hoses and taped them up with gorilla tape before I reattached them. I think the tape held for my first 10 minute freeway test drive and then didn't hold after that. I will try to replace both the hoses that I tore one end of and see if that makes a difference. All the hoses I think were original '92 hoses and I live in a very hot area of the country, so I think the hoses were brittle anyway, and I am not a mechanic so I did a lot of prying and forcing to get them unattached.
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (10-17-20)
Old 10-17-20, 04:00 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

We all learn every time we do something right or wrong. If we have made a mistake we think positive and try our best not to make the same mistake again. I think my SC is a lot easier to work on than my BMW's. But I have faith in you and anyone else that willing to learn. Good luck and stay well.
Do not forget that there is a wealth of information on this site that can help you immensely.
Bill