Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Traditional K&N Cone or BFI with K&N Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-05, 10:23 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Traditional K&N Cone or BFI with K&N Filter

Anyone have any listed pros and cons of the two? I know the BFI has been getting a lot of positive reviews lately - looks cleaner too.

If both are installed properly (where the engine heat is isolated), shouldn't the cone work better? I figure greater surface area for air intake and the circular design kinda "spools" in the air?

Share your inputs. Thanks.
Old 08-09-05, 10:30 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definately go BFI, and do it with OEM Toyota filter. There is a great write-up over at Planetsoarer.com that shows graphs of airflow with all different intakes. BFI wins hands down.
Old 08-09-05, 10:36 AM
pilip99
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bfi and K& N thats the setup im using right now... i put a tutorial on how to do it in this section
Old 08-09-05, 04:26 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Definately go BFI, and do it with OEM Toyota filter. There is a great write-up over at Planetsoarer.com that shows graphs of airflow with all different intakes. BFI wins hands down.
The BFI is a great option and does have a great gain in power, but a full 3" mandrel bent going through the bottom wall with a cone filter would yield more power than the BFI, not to menton it would look alot better too

I have a similar setup like that, I will try to get a pic later if I can.
Old 08-10-05, 01:28 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

here's a thread for what idrewfelix is talking about https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...diy+air+filter
Old 08-10-05, 01:33 AM
97Soarer
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That cold intake would have killed your car in this past freak rain storm in CA. Big no-no unless you're in the desert and really need some cold air.

If you are going with that setup, suggest getting a bypass value in between it where it traps and dumps any water intake.
Old 08-10-05, 01:52 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

bypass valves don't really work, anyways, when it rains, i just plan on unhooking my intake and just attaching a cone filter, it'll take all of 2 minutes, don't even need to pull the pipe out.
Old 08-10-05, 06:10 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
The BFI is a great option and does have a great gain in power, but a full 3" mandrel bent going through the bottom wall with a cone filter would yield more power than the BFI, not to menton it would look alot better too

I have a similar setup like that, I will try to get a pic later if I can.

Not sure I agree with that. A guy over on planetsoarer did a flow test of various intakes compared with BFI. He also dyno'd various intakes on SC300's with & without turbo's and SC400's (one with a supercharger). Some cone style intakes actually resulted in a LOSS of power. His determination was that the BFI was the only one that resulted in a power gain (albeit slight, no intake alone results in big gains), and it had the best air flow rate. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again.

But I do have to admit that the cone through the bottom wall looks very nice!
Old 08-10-05, 10:49 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

Not sure I agree with that. A guy over on planetsoarer did a flow test of various intakes compared with BFI. He also dyno'd various intakes on SC300's with & without turbo's and SC400's (one with a supercharger). Some cone style intakes actually resulted in a LOSS of power. His determination was that the BFI was the only one that resulted in a power gain (albeit slight, no intake alone results in big gains), and it had the best air flow rate. I'll have to go back and see if I can find it again.

But I do have to admit that the cone through the bottom wall looks very nice!
True, his tests did show that a cone filter was not as good, but he didn't test a cold air like the one idrewflix and I mentioned, the only cold air he tested was the one from Injen (if I remember correctly), which I believe doesn't go through the bottom wall. So there is no proof that this custom way of making a CAI isn't any better than a BFI nor is there proof that it is actually better. You can only believe what you want until somebody performs a test, but from my experience, this custom CAI is better than the BFI I made.
Old 08-10-05, 11:28 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by indelible
True, his tests did show that a cone filter was not as good, but he didn't test a cold air like the one idrewflix and I mentioned, the only cold air he tested was the one from Injen (if I remember correctly), which I believe doesn't go through the bottom wall. So there is no proof that this custom way of making a CAI isn't any better than a BFI nor is there proof that it is actually better. You can only believe what you want until somebody performs a test, but from my experience, this custom CAI is better than the BFI I made.

I wasn't trying to call you out on this. Just repeating what I had researched some time ago. Keep us all posted to the continued performance of this setup. I do think it looks great and if you experience little to no problems with water, then I can forsee a lot of guys doing this as well!!
Old 08-10-05, 11:50 AM
indelible
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't trying to call you out on this. Just repeating what I had researched some time ago. Keep us all posted to the continued performance of this setup. I do think it looks great and if you experience little to no problems with water, then I can forsee a lot of guys doing this as well!!
Don't worry, I took no offense. With the BFI, I felt just a tad faster between 2k-3k rpms, with this CAI, it feels just like the BFI, IMO, but also increases the speed between 3-4krpm. Of course, these findings are pure speculation.
Old 08-10-05, 12:09 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by indelible
Don't worry, I took no offense. With the BFI, I felt just a tad faster between 2k-3k rpms, with this CAI, it feels just like the BFI, IMO, but also increases the speed between 3-4krpm. Of course, these findings are pure speculation.

Well, sometimes a lot can be said for the "seat of the pants" dyno!
Old 08-11-05, 06:19 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Default BFI vs. CAI

A guy over on planetsoarer did a flow test of various intakes compared with BFI. He also dyno'd various intakes on SC300's with & without turbo's and SC400's (one with a supercharger). Some cone style intakes actually resulted in a LOSS of power.
From what I've read the BFI works best for NA cars, but the problem is that it sits where a front-mounted IC would be, so it wouldn't be an option for turboed SC3s, at least the ones with an FMIC. However, instead of going through the bottom and having the air go through an elbow, why not use a more or less straight pipe and put the filter in front, next to the headlamp? Seems to me it might be better protected from water too. Might even be possible to construct a small chamber around it.
Old 08-12-05, 03:55 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For any thing above 4,000 rpm in a well tuned(piggyback/aftermarket ecu) you will find that the oem panel filter is a restriction.
The tests on soarerplanet are inconclusive to me as they offer no evidence of mixture correction done during the tests, it's like saying a pair of shoes are bad because they don't fit your feet, or in this case haven't had the laces tied.