Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with getting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-01, 10:25 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NOPI

Going to NOPI 'eh? Cool! Are you signing up with the rest of the ClubLexus members so you'll have a space with us?

SR
Old 07-09-01, 12:32 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wasnt aware that there was a gruop going....last year i won the supra/ sc300 classs and won the dyno competion...what do i need to do to join the group?...id love to be apart of it...email me with info
sc300turbo@aol.com
Jeff
Old 07-09-01, 01:00 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Send a PM to Jazziz, he'll get you going with everything! You've only got a few days left tho!!

SR
Old 07-11-01, 09:28 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default Vortec

After spending about 1.5hrs on the phone with Vortec, I finally got some details from someone that knew what they were talking about! They've done a Toyota Supra NA before, custom kit. With a V-1 SQ blower, and a air-water aftercooler, I can easily run 8lbs of boost and will have 310hp at the wheels with no other mods.

They said if I adjust timing and fuel curve, I can run about 14lbs boost and get 430hp, which is what they have the Supra NA at. Not too shabby. Since it's a custom kit, they can't sell it to me, I would have to give them my car. BUT he said he'll give me whatever info I need on the setup so I can fab all the parts myself.

The SQ is the quiet blower, and they said unless you use an open atmosphere blow-off valve, you won't hear anything different from under the hood. He said I can use a closed-loop blow-off up to about 15psi. This is really getting interesting now! It requires no teardown of engine parts...just removal of the stock airbox and stuff like that. You even keep the factory MAF thing with a K&N (or whomever) filter on it.

Or I can use the S series blower and a turbo blow-off valve.....and everyone will know I've got something different under there

Just givin an update!

SR
Old 07-12-01, 12:23 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

let me know when ya wanna race
Old 07-12-01, 04:04 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well I never said I'll be running 11's I'm not spending that much on the engine...and I've got WAY too much weight added with the kit, stereo, etc. to really go for performance.... But of course I'll still race, if nothing else, just for fun!

SR
Old 07-12-01, 07:51 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

No intent to flame on any of this but......
You'll be lucky to break 13.0 seconds with a centrifugal supercharger... Even if you could hit 400rwhp with the blower, Jeff and I would still slaughter your 400+ supercharged horses. S/C Mustangs, Camaros, etc... How much improvement on 1/4 mile do you see on these cars? On a typical Mustang you may gain 1 - 1.5 seconds off the 1/4 mile... I tested my car at the track before and after the install... Before the turbo, my best ET was 15.6@89. After the turbo, I'm at a conservative 12.73@117, and the only reason for that ET is that I can't put the power down on street tires. Drag radials or Slicks would yield an honest 11 second timeslip at 120mph or better. The 117 trap was on a crappy high humidity hot day, indicating around 420rwhp at the wheels... A more reasonable day would be in the upper 460rwhp range. On a typical higheway pull, a Viper would have trouble with me or Jeff.

As Jeff said... Wanna race? Have you ever sampled a single turbo Supra or SC300? Its a mind altering experience. I'm not quite sure why you are intent on a supercharger when so many SC300 specific parts are available. I'm sure you understand how centrifugal blowers make boost, and how their "area under the curve" is so much smaller than a Toyomoto turbo setup. The torque and flexibility of the turbo is far superior to any centrifugal forced air setup. There is so much midrange grunt with a smaller, well matched turbo. On the pricing issue, you may save some $$$ by sourcing a lot of the parts yourself through used or wholesale means. My kit was almost $6k, but Lance at Toyomoto provided everything. I was a novice and decided it was worth it for him to provide everything.. I would imagine, if you tried really hard, you could cut a couple thousand off the price and still get the necessary Toyomoto parts while sourcing the extra stuff yourself.

If you're ever in Cincinnati or Miami, we'd be happy to take you for a ride!

Please don't take any of this the wrong way... We're just psyched the performance of these cars under the correct type of boost.
Old 07-13-01, 04:06 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Nope....never been in a single turbo setup on one of those. I drove a TT supra for a while, but it was bone stock. Not even window tint.

Well how about when I'm at NOPI one of y'all SC300 T's take me out for a ride?

And what all parts would I need to get from Toyo if that's the way I went? I've already got some of the aftermarket stuff....extra injectors, extra injector controller, S-AFC, etc.

And of course I can do all the work myself. I could even weld if it came down to it, but I thought that there was no welding on the kit.

Have you driven a Jaguar XJR? Supercharged......and knocks the pants off any of the factory turbo's I've seen out there. And it's a 4-door to boot! It's got this cool water aftercooling system, and they say it takes the intake temp to sometimes BELOW outside air temp! Cool! The salesman at my local Jag/Porsche dealer said people hate it when they find out the XJR can take the Boxster. lol

SR
Old 07-13-01, 04:08 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default T vs. SC

And here's a little info..........

Fact Sheet

Supercharger vs Turbocharger

IN VEHICLE APPLICATION

These following facts are a summary of a technical paper produced for the automotive
industry in which the efficiencies of both Supercharging and Turbo charging were
assessed. Obtaining the maximum engine power output over a wide operating range
while meeting emissions, fuel economy, packaging, cost and drivability standards
has been objectives of most engine development efforts. With the coming of the fuel
crisis and the attendant vehicle down sizing programs, the use of forced induction
has been a popular method to increase downsize engine power while increasing fuel
economy and in essence meeting the strict emission legislation set down to see out
this century. For this comparison all reference has been made to a standard screw
type Supercharger and standard iron turbine type Turbocharger.

ENGINE RESPONSE
EFFICIENCY
NOISE & DURABILITY
LUBRICATION
AFTER COOLING (INTERCOOLING)
DRIVABILITY
EXHAUST EMISSIONS
VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS
MARKET TRENDS
SUMMARY

ENGINE RESPONSE

Turbocharger

The Turbocharger does not reach its maximum efficiency range until high speed and airflows are achieved later in the vehicle acceleration event. The latest Turbocharger with variable geometry housings and ceramic turbines still take four times as long as a positive displacement Supercharger to produce maximum boost.

Supercharger

The Supercharger is continuously driven at full boost speed for the given engine speed. This offers almost immediate boost response which takes approximately 0.4 of a second to produce 50 KPA boost.

EFFICIENCY

Turbocharger

Turbocharger airflow delivery characteristics do not match the requirements of the internal combustion engine because of the volumetric efficiency versus speed difference. Turbochargers only display efficiency over a limited flow range. Turbo systems must be compromised to provide some low speed boost while matching high speed flow requirements. This usually requires wastegating which reduces maximum power.

Supercharger

The Supercharger exhibits an airflow delivery characteristic very close to the requirement. Thurs, boost remains almost constant over the total speed range without wastegating or the other compromising control systems.

NOISE AND DURABILITY

Turbocharger

With Turbos driven by exhaust gases turbine noise is nearly eliminated. Durability cycles are affected by the extreme temperatures that the turbine and housings are subjected to, leading to fatigue and inevitable failure.

Supercharger

Supercharger noise along with durability concerns have been the expressed reservations associated with automotive use. With improved designs and advanced materials noise levels have reduced considerably with durability cycles proven well in excess that of Turbochargers.

LUBRICATION

Turbocharger

Turbochargers are subjected to extreme temperature and in “shut down” situation the oil remaining in the turbine bearing section will reach coking (burning) temperature. The carbon build up in the engines lubricating system will accelerate the internal wear of the engine and add to the rapid deterioration of oil.

Supercharger

Superchargers can be lubricated by self-contained systems, which without the extreme heats experienced by Turbochargers will last for periods well in excess of the engine lubricants.

AFTER COOLING (INTERCOOLING)

Turbocharger

Turbochargers again are subject to extreme temperatures and discharge temperatures need lowering through aftercoolers if high performance levels approaching that of Supercharger are to be reached.

Supercharger

Superchargers do not require aftercooling as outlet temperatures rarely exceed 140 degrees c.

DRIVABILITY

Turbocharger

Unlike a direct-coupled Supercharger, performance is only enhanced in proportion to turbine speed.
Therefore performance at low speed is limited and distinct pause is encountered under acceleration know commonly as a Turbo lag.

Supercharger

Performance is obtained without sacrificing the practical and content rate in which this torque is delivered. Towing and off-Road-4-Whell Driving can benefit greatly from the increased torque at low speeds.

EXHAUST EMISSIONS

Turbocharger

Turbochargers can be tailored to meet emission levels at normal operating temperatures but suffer on cold starts. Contrary to the heat generated by a Turbo the exit gases are still low and on a cold starts results in a longer catalytic light up time. This results in unacceptable levels of exhaust emissions at engine start up and legislation is slowly reducing the light up period available which will create problems for Turbochargers.

Supercharger

With legislation increasing pressure on automobile manufacturers to generate clean running engines
Superchargers can easily be tailored to suit engine manufacturers emissions designs.

VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS

Turbocharger

A Turbo becomes an integral part of the exhaust system, therefore requiring major modification to the standard exhaust. This also is the single limiting factor dictating its position to the inlet manifold. Additional pipe-work can be required to reach air cleaners and inlet manifolds when mounted on the opposite side of the engine. If an after cooler is incorporated the potential piping requirements can become impractical. Turbochargers fitted to some vehicles needs to be insulated with a heat-shield lagging to protect under-bonnet-components from the extreme temperature generated. Brake master cylinders have been known to melt in a Turbocharged vehicle which raises other problems. Internal modifications are required in some cases such as compression modifications to accommodate the hot delivery air of the Turbocharger. Early opening of the exhaust valve will allow a high blow down pressure giving smaller engines more drive pressure from its exhaust but does sacrifice engine efficiency at cruise due to loss of full gas expansion.

Supercharger

A Supercharger need not change the physical configuration of a motor vehicle. A Supercharger is fitted where convenient by brackets and drive belt. Standard air cleaner and exhaust stay intact. No internal modifications to engines are required as the extra boost delivered is at a moderate temperature and which reduces the chance of detonation. No heat shielding is required as Superchargers do not require after coolers and the unit can be mounted near the intake manifold requiring only a short discharge pipe.

MARKET TREND

Turbocharger

Manufacturers have worked with or around the inherent problems of Turbocharging in the pursuit of
performance, economy and emission controls. Now with other options available Turbocharging is becoming less important to many vehicle manufacturers.

Supercharger

Supercharging is becoming more widely accepted by original equipment manufacturers and different forms of Supercharging are now appearing on new vehicles.

SUMMARY

In the past Turbocharging has been an accepted means of increasing engine performance. Even with its inherent problems it was the most cost effective method of forced induction.

Now with improved manufacturing techniques and high volume production Superchargers can now only offer better performance and packaging characteristics but can now be price competitive.

REFERENCES

1. Adams, T.G. “ Comparison of a Turbocharger to Supercharger on a spark ignited engine”. SAE Paper 841285 1984.

2. Singer, D.A. “Comparison of a supercharger vs a Turbocharger in a small displacement gasoline engine application”. SAE Paper 850244 1985.

3. Wark, K. “Thermodynamics”, fourth edition, McGran Hill Inc. 1983.

4. Uthof, L.H. “Supercharger versus Turbocharger in vehicle application” SAE Paper 870704.

Old 07-13-01, 06:51 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

thats a screw type charger...and is very limited in hp output capability/...and these are vehicle manufacturers....they want whats good for the common everyday joe...im am far from the common joe...i want real power...and i got it...besides..who races at 2500rpm?....when your racing you hae the rpms up.....and you are in the hot zone of a turbo.......do what ya like...and ill be happy to give ya a ride at nopi...Jeff
Old 07-13-01, 07:56 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The "limited efficiency range" argument of the turbo v.s. supercharger is BS...

Maximum boost available instantly Come on??? At 2500-3000rpm on a Vortech, how much boost do you get? 3psi?

On a roll from 65mph, with me in overdrive gear (5th on a manual), I beat a (our) GS400 from 65-100, WHILE STAYING IN 5TH GEAR!!!!!!!!! How's that for response?

Try that on a supercharged vehicle...

If you know the boost profile of a Vortech, then you know that the whole "they make big torque" argument is BS. Just look at any of the Swift Racing dyno sheets. They all show an extremely sharp peak near redline. This is indicative of the nature of centrifugal superchargers. Now look at one of the Toyomoto dyno sheets--- you'll see a huge area of power, on mine extending from as low as 2500rpm all the way out to the 6500rpm limiter. Jeffs dyno sheet shows a very flat area from 4000 out to his 7500rpm limit... In that whole area, he's got at least 85% of peak available. The curve looks very flat.

This is part of the reason these particular turbo setups work so well for the street.

If I'm out on the highway, in 4th gear, anything above 3500rpms is golden, and I know I'm making near peak power virtually lag free, just ask the Roush 3 S/C Mustang driver, That's an upper 11 second to 12 second car that couldn't pull on this Lexus SC300 WITH 4 PEOPLE IN IT. It doesn't make much difference whether I'm in 3rd gear 4th gear or 5th gear, there is power anywhere above 3000rpm.

Also, why is the Swift Racing Supercharged GS400 so slow? It supposedly has 7XXrwhp? What did it run? 12.X @ 115 or something---with slicks no less. I'm not trying to knock them on this cause I really like what they've done for the GS, but Jeff or I could probably take out their 700hp beast with our 4XXhp on a steet roll.

Some other arguments in that blurb seem realistic, yet you've got to understand that we're running low boost, 15psi for Jeff or 9psi for mine (11psi max on the track). The wear and tear on a 9psi turbo is very low.

The whole thing on intake temps seems far fetched as well, as intake temps are a function of impeller efficiency v.s. boost pressure, with a good turbo efficiency is near 76% if a well suited application. The supercharger may be a bit higher than this, but again, we're talking low boost, not high boost, so intake temps aren't all that high.

Lastly... What makes you think that Jag is so impressive? Its not fast compared to a normally aspirated M5, yet costs a bundle... Why did they go this route? I don't think Jag had any research $$$ to get the numbers they were looking for and as a result took the easy way out. That may work for Jag to eek out a little bit more power, but WHY DO THIS ON A CAR THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR TURBO POWER FROM THE START? The 2JZ was designed at inception to accomodate turbos (even BIG turbos) with little modification!

Old 07-13-01, 08:06 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well everyone failed to answer one part of my question up there.....about the parts that I would need to go turbo.

Can't even begin to think of turbocharging until I know what all I need from toyo and what I can fab myself.

SR
Old 07-13-01, 10:12 AM
lxxxs
Driver

hey could u guys let me know how to meet u guys at nopi, in VA.

and i have a built motoron my 92 sc300, im dynoing it next week and w/ my mods i should be looking at about 265 to 300 n/a power not bad huh!!!
Old 07-13-01, 10:27 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default There's a thread on NOPI

Check out the NOPI thread....go to the main forums page, ClubLexus meetings, NOPI thread....

SR
Old 07-13-01, 11:05 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Lxxxs...
What mods would they be?
Sounds like a good platform for a turbo.

Quick Reply: Help with getting a turbo