Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with getting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-01, 09:31 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bean, in response to your question...

Bean, in response to your questions....

Its a T04 chassis with 60-1 wheel as you said... I'm running O trim compressor wheel with .58a/r.

P trim would give better top end.

120mph traps would be no problem with tuning on this turbo. It may be possible even with stock compression. I'm at 117 on street tires and pump gas, so I'd say 120 is easily a probability.

Toyomoto's manifold works well with mine, but I don't remember whether its offset, on center, tangential, whatever.??!!??!!??

The 2JZ can go way higher than 400rwhp on stock internals... Limits may be as high as 800rwhp with nitrous. The main limits are $$$$ and streetability.
If you have the money to supply enough good fuel and let it breathe, 700rwhp is easy to achieve with NOS. All the parts are out there, but they'll cost. It adds up quickly. For instance, a good fuel system, $3000 installed. A 6spd TT driveline, $6000 installed. A set of HKS Twins $$????

I'd say on stock compression with 100shot NOS and race gas you could hit 600rwhp.

Old 08-22-01, 09:47 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets also remember that the jaguar is a V8..higher displacment motor..and most s/c cars are V8 with alot more displacment then our little 3.0l inline 6....this is why they have an off the line torque...besides do you like a LOUD car?...your lexus is gonna have very loud exahust with a supercharger...as compared to a nice quiet turboed car....you would never guess my car has over 440 rwhp by the way it purrs at idle and WOT...also with S/C they have a minimal amount of oil to cool the gearing and compressor wheel ...this means the get really hot after a run or 2...heat builds up and the car looses hp....with constant cooling from fresh oil on a turbo they cool alot more efficent.....also start rading mustang magazines.....seems like all of the fast mustangs are now going with turbos to make big power and go faster than the S/C cars..even top american tuners such as Lingenfelter, Hennessey, ect are going with turbo kits for there street cars..

also with a centrifical S/C they have to spoolthe same way a turbo does......but like scott said you get more power under the curve with a turbo...and for daily driving whats bettter than having the ability to turn boost down to 5 or 6psi....then turn a **** and be at 10psi......also i dont see you being able to do a S/C kit with intercooler for 3k.....what about fuel?..header....brackets...piping...intercooler..water pumps...lines...tank.....fuel managment?...

as for miles..i have 117k on my car...been turboed since 70k and i drive the sh-t out of me car..im driving it agian to Nopi this year....i have had NO turbo problems...i changer the oil...spark plugs...and clean my air filter....other than that..NO Motor problems at all.....this motor was designed to be turbo and handle the vigors of a turbo

also a point that hasnt been looked at...our crank pulley has a dampaner in it...putting a belt on it and applying pressure to it..wont this affect the dampening?....just a thought i had......also the distrubutor is gonna be a little in the way of installing a charger...
Old 08-22-01, 10:01 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I know, Jeff... Its like preaching to the choir.

We offer to take them on rides and experience it first hand... Some will never get it.

BTW Jeff... I got Lance making that Midpipe again, can you lean on him for me?

Also, do you know if Lance has any slicks/wheels to fit the SC that he may want to sell? I'm looking for 11s....

Thanks!!!
Old 08-22-01, 10:13 AM
Slick Lex Coupe
Driver

ComputerWiz, You're saying you want off the line performance like a supercharged Jag. The Jag superchargers are a roots-type supercharger. They get to boost quickly like you want so why are going with a centrifigal supercharger?
Old 08-22-01, 12:45 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to SC300T,

Dude thats sweet...
I heard I can still run about 19-20psi on that turbo if my compression was down to 8.5ish
thats around 480rwhp i believe since 12-13psi is where that turbo starts getting comfy...

a fuel system costs $3000?
what size injectors can be used with the AIC?
can't I theoretically use up to 6 additional injectors?
6 440s would be quite large in total size...

and 6-speed Supra trannys cost around $1000-$1500 used... a modified driveshaft would be around $75 since it would just be a stock shaft shortened...

i plan on doing nearly everything myself except like the driveshaft welding, etc... but the tranny installation (if i ever needed to do it), or fuel setup, etc...
a 300zxTT fuel pump should flow enough fuel for that kind of power...
Old 08-22-01, 03:01 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

You can setup a SC with a clutch setup, sort of like the factory radiator fan on the Lex. I had it this way on my old Nova. Basically you use a pulley off the drivebelt (or crank if a seperate pulley) to turn a clutch. On the end of the clutch you use a small pulley, and a belt over to the SC with a large pulley. Depending on the ratios, you can get max RPM's on the SC ar low RPM's, and still not over-rev it (hence the clutch) at higher rpm's. Granted, you don't want it making 10psi at 2000rpm's or you're going to blow up the durn thing from making boost 100% of the time, but you can clutch it so around say 3000rpm's your running minimal boost (3-5) and by the time you're at 5000 you're at 10psi with still 2000rpm's to go until redline.

All depends on the setup I'm doing. I could also at the track throw on a different pulley to the SC to get as much boost as I want (the p-1sc can make up to 30 I believe) and simply adjust the s-afc to give it the fuel or an additional injector controller. This said, it WOULD be much easier to just turn a **** to up the boost, so you could do it on the fly, but I could stand having to do this for the track if I was to race.

Better gas mileage with a turbo?! I've never had the same exact vehicle with both turbo and sc, but I've always seemed to get better mileage out of a SC. This being that the turbo many times doesnt even make boost under normal driving, and the SC is compressing no matter what. This in turn will lean out the car a little, and give you better mileage since it has more power. less gas pedal=better mileage. This is what I'm thinking... I mean until boost is made, the turbo and SC are just an added drag to the engine. Remember the engine actually gets "push back" from the exhaust until the turbo starts spinning fast enough, hence drag.

And have any of y'all has a SC'ed car before and worked with them? Personally I used to swear by turbos until I messed with a SC...and I like the feeling of it.

SR
Old 08-22-01, 03:07 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

It was my knowledge that while under any kind of boost; the engine needs more fuel; hence worse gas mileage... when not under boost it doesn't need more fuel... i don't think the leaning/richening thing has anything to do with it...

regardless, if you're under boost period you're getting worse gas mileage just because of the fact that the engine needs extra fuel to compensate

But that instant power thing i'm still not sure about... a T04E 60-1 like whats in the Toyomoto kit is said to spool around 2500rpms with the stock 10.0:1 compression... it makes me wonder what a T04E 60-1 with a divided housing and ceramic BB would do... 1500rpms?

Last edited by Bean; 08-22-01 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-22-01, 07:59 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Lightbulb Bean....

Bean...

You're pretty much right on the money...
Some things to note:
10:1 compression makes for less wear on the turbo... Its more engine, less turbo. 10psi on 10:1 is about equal to 14-15psi at 8.5:1. You have around 4 more pounds to work with if you're running pump gas by going 8.5:1, though... The reasonable limit is 18psi without race gas. Each pound may be worth 15-20hp on a 8.5:1 motor, whereas at 10:1, each pound is worth 20-25hp... There may definitely be some extra hp by going 8.5:1, but its not without a price (lower power off boost).

You're right, on a T60-1 the peak efficiency range is 12-19 psi, with the peak at 15... That is why at 15psi and race gas this thing seems jet powered---goes sideways in 3rd gear at 70mph.

I'm pretty sure I've put down 480-500rwhp with race gas, especially based on my calculations. I figured this based on my 12.7@117 run... This run was figured to be 450rwhp.... Since it was done at 10-11psi and pump gas, the 15-16psi I ran on race gas would put it over 500rwhp... Only problem, when I went to the track, there was dew on it... I ran a 13.4 at a ridiculously high 115mph that night. It was so slippery that I thought I broke something on my first run. I ended up with a 15.0 at 70mph, coasting 2/3 down the track. (Funny coasting most of the way and still beating the stock time)

Of course, the fuel system depends on how crazy you want to get. Its a good idea to get the 300zx turbo fuel pump... I've heard it flows like crazy. I just don't know if it drops in... Also don't know if it works well with the dual voltage setup that the Lexus units us... (HI / LO) settings. The Fuel pump ECU will adjust this voltage depending on situation. It will support more HP than the Supa TT pump. Most just go with two Supra TT pumps in line and run a 2nd line if they're going over 450-500rwhp. You can have all the fuel pump in the world, but it doesn't matter if you can't push it through the smallish fuel line... A 2nd fuel line is recommended. Sound Performance is really good on fuel system upgrades.

Lance at Toyomoto did a car with 6 primary injectors and 6 aux injectors, which is fine, but not really necessary. 500hp is easily supported with 440cc mains and two 520cc aux on the intake. Jeff has the 6 440s and doesn't even run the aux injectors at 440rwhp...
He doesn't push the boost very much though.

I was told by Larry at SP that the BB option on the turbo does NOTHING at low boost levels. Under higher loads, 20psi and up, you see the difference in spool.

The threshold on mine is around 1800rpm, where the vacuum will cross 0 into positive boost. My recollection is vague, but 2200 rpm was like 3psi, 2500 it starts to spool pretty good (6psi?). Lag in the 2500rpm range is around 2 seconds to 6psi, but by the time you get to 3000rpm, the lag is around 1 second. by 3500-4000 lag is less than a second. Anything above 4000 is instant.
I'll have to make a video on the lag thing showing the boost gauge sometime.

CmputerWiz....
I get the same 23-24mpg that I got before I started the turbo project... Aggressive leaning gets me more mpg than stock. Drag? what Drag... Certainly no more drag than an s/c impeller swinging in the breeze, clutched or not. Under low boost situations at steady speed, there is virtually no force on the impeller blades of a turbo. It just free wheels in the wind. The only resistance you'd have is the resistance of the bearings, which is miniscule compared to the rotating inertia of the supercharger.... Also the lean/rich thing of the s/c is false... Under closed loop, the ECU will lean/rich depending on 02 voltages, has nothing to do with boost. Manifold pressure=power=boost=less mpg.

One last thing about turbos...
When the turbo spools, it gives a surge and sound that makes you grin from ear to ear. None of that happens on the S/C.

Try cruising along in 2nd gear around 40mph at around 3500rpm... Then just squeeze the pedal about 2/3 of the way, hear the whooosh, feel the surge, your head strains backwards, then hear the squeal from your 275/40s giving up in agony, correct the wheel from the slight squirm sideways... Ahhh.....nothing like it.

Old 08-22-01, 11:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

oh really? 440s are stock i'm assuming

thats awsome... he really runs 440rwhp without the aux injectors? sweet...

dual supratt fuel pumps sounds like a complicated setup... i know the ZTT pump drops into the SupraTT; i'll have to do some digging...

Yeah I realize the price with the 8.5:1 compression but I also realize the benefit of being able to run much higher boost and make more hp (peak anyway)...

I'm figuring around 18psi or so with the 8.5 compression? i'm sure ignition will have to be modded as well...

thanks for all the info i appreciate it...

Question: What is keeping you from running more than 10-11psi on pumpgas? I'm figuring its detonation... but from what?
Old 08-23-01, 04:56 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

as for injectors..im running 440cc RC engineering...with a chipped VPC...i run 15 psi all day on 93 octane with the additionals off..i have yet to run the additionals...the stock injectors are 330cc
the dual TT set up is also used by toymoto..he was one of the 1st people to do it...i have heard good things about the 300ZTT pump but dont know if its a drop in....i also know lance used a single TT supra pump on his IS300 turbo that laid down 606 rwhp

as for the sc..now you want a clutched S/C...all this with an intercooler for under 3k?....

as for the 10-1 compression...you have to carefull on boost levels.....you can start detonating..and poping things if your not carefull

as for additionals...you dont have to do the additional injectors.....you dont need them..the is300 has 6 injectors..as i am going haltech and using 720cc injectors...and eliminating the need for additionals

as for the rpm issue....compwiz...how do you have a 7000rpm redline?..thought stock was 6400?....
Old 08-23-01, 07:43 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

SC was $1200, if you look for used or rebuilt ones you can get one cheaper
Clutch maybe $75 max?
3 core intercooler $500
Custom brackets around $60
Belt and pulleys $150
Custom intake pipes $200

This leaves just over $800 for whatever else may arise. If I went with an air-water aftercooler instead of the air-air intercooler, it would be $1100 instead of $500.

So i could go with the haltec and 720 injectors on mine, and wouldn't need the extras? hmmm....that would make the intake pipes MUCH easier to make!

I'm having the ecu reprogrammed to move the revlimit to 8000. You know of any good companies to do this OTHER than JET?

I'd be VERY interested in seeing the video of the boost levels at the different rpm's....to see the lag I mean.... That could make a little difference to me....

SR

Oh ya....since lots of y'all are in Florida.....what's the IT industry like down there right now? We're thinking of moving down there....maybe Miami or Tampa areas....but it depends on the job market!
Old 08-23-01, 11:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

What kind of IT stuff man?

I'm in Mobile right now and I'm a Embedded Software Developer... IT stuff like networking and administration are kinda on a downside because of the economy...

SC300TURBO,

They make a VPC for this computer specifically? Do 550cc injectors bolt into the stock fuel rail? RC sells the 550s in both high and low impedance... not sure which i'd need...
but my goal is ~120mph traps... not sure what kind of power it would take... but your 11.9 run @ 115; was that with the measured 440rwhp in your sig?
are you running the 10:1 compression? what is keeping you from running higher boost? fuel?
Old 08-23-01, 11:19 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The 550s are too big to idle smoothly. (According to Lance at Toyomoto).

I'm pretty sure Jeff didn't crank it up on his 11.9 run... He could have blasted 23psi with race gas and probably ran much faster (He had the traction with Lance's slicks)... At the time he had the 5spd and stock driveline, so I'm guessing he didn't want to pull a "Clint" at the track.

Old 08-23-01, 11:21 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

yep....IT stuff like networking. Damn that stuff. I figure nowhere can be as bad as where I'm at....Raleigh, NC (RTP - Research Triangle Park) is where the east coast HQ's of Nortel, Cisco, Lucent, IBM, JDS, and just about every other company is located at. Which means there are more layoffs in this area and unemployed people than anywhere else in the US (yes worse than silicon valley!)

The unemployment rate in the RTP area is liek 16% now. The Raleigh-Durham area as a whole I think it's only like 9%.....only...lol

What's it like in Miami area...anyone know? Or Tampa?

SR
Old 08-23-01, 11:27 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I hear Tampa was a decent place; I know Atlanta sucks... Birmingham in northern AL might not be so bad...

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about my job
The economy is gonna be goin back up pretty soon though; don't worry... the leaps and bounds still being made in processors and vid cards just boggles the mind

So 550s are too big to idle smoothly?

So what kind of power could I make with 440s?
Or (evil smile) 440s with two 550 additionals

The reason I ask so many questions is that I'm going to line up a budget to buy piece by piece... hehe

Quick Reply: Help with getting a turbo