Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with getting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-01, 11:03 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah its cool and everything; but its still a ripoff
I can buy all the pieces except for the IC piping and the manifold from other sources; then get the manifold and piping from Toyomoto and come out nearly $3k less...
they want too much money; WAY too much money
Old 08-29-01, 11:33 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only knew....

You get what you pay for.

F-max user: hmmm, I think i might be able to get 15psi without the flexible tubes collapsing... Why is my boost unstable? That thing keeps popping off, arrgh! From the side of the road....damn hose, now if I only brought that wrench! Or even worse... Holy ****, I think we're on fire, that cheap fuel fitting came loose!

Toyomoto user: I'm glad I got the hardpipes made for my car... They hold up great now that I'm running race gas. Crank up the boost? Sure, let er rip! Damn boost, need new rear tires again... Wow, did you see that F-max guy on the side of the road?

At least get the hard pipes and manifold from Toyomoto, you'll never ever have to worry about them. If you're aggressive, buy auction, used, on-line, whatever, of course you're going to beat the overall price. What you get from them is peace of mind knowing that the hoses, connections and fittings have been battle tested and are going to be high quality, reliable, and the right components for the job.

Old 08-29-01, 11:39 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

I never said I'd buy an FMax kit

But you're supposed to SAVE money when buying a kit... its not just the peace of mind that you get with the kit;you're supposed to save money by doing it...

How much is the Toyomoto Manifold?
I think I'd buy the manifold, oil and water lines, headgasket and IC piping from them... and that would be it
I'd buy the turbo from somewhere else like turbonetics; and get a used SupraTT stock sidemount since that is what they use anyway... and what kind of wastegate pattern are they using on the manifold? i hope its not a HKS racing wastegate only... those are too expensive hehe... I'd like to use a good old DeltaGate or Tial
so T04E with 60-1 wheel .58 a/r with P-trim right?
Old 08-29-01, 11:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

btw:
i have no idea why i don't know this but...

what boost level is run with just the toyomoto kit or the fmax kit? like stock 330s with no VPC or anything like that... just the 440 additionals that come in the kits...

what kind of power does that make?
Old 09-02-01, 01:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

i also talked to a friend of mine here in town

how hard is it to replace the headgasket?
he said it was a PITA to get the head off of his SupraTT when he was replacing his headgasket
Old 09-04-01, 12:56 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

anyone know if the Toyomoto turbo is a oncenter or a tangential?
Old 09-05-01, 08:58 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Man, you got quite a conversation going on there with yourself!

Toyomoto will sell you a kit with a 7 pound spring.
7psi is good enough for a low 13 second pass. RWHP? maybe 320.

The gasket is a TOTAL PITA.... You have to remove the intake, heads, turbo, manifold, downpipe... Its a real job.
I think the shops like Toyomoto and SP usually block of at least 8hrs.

I have no idea on the tangential or on center... You'll have to ask.

I also found out that mine is a P trim, not O trim like I thought.

On a side note, I'll be installing an Apexi AVC-R and catless midpipe thise weekend... Should be a chore.
Old 09-05-01, 10:44 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

well if i'm installing the turbo in the first place; the intake, the manifold, the downpipe and all would be coming off anyway...

i may just take it to a local car place and have them install it...
Old 09-05-01, 10:48 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Yes it IS a pain....I found out. I took my head in to get ported and polished this week. Geez....I've never taken off SOOO many parts just to get a friggin head off. Screw that. I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and put the 8.5:1 gasket on, or stay with a 10:1 for now. It's gonna be at least a month before I get boost on the car.....but can I go that long with the lost power of 8.5?

SR
Old 09-05-01, 11:59 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

sc300t,

the turbo you have, is that the turbo that came with the toyomoto kit?

How much is the Toyomoto kit itself? How much is the kit with the FMIC? and how much power can be made with that stock supra sidemount?

What clutch do you recommend? I was hoping ACT made one but they don't... I really don't want a puck-based clutch.
Old 09-05-01, 09:12 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

It was around $6k. Includes side mount.
I'm not sure on the FMIC, but it would require longer and more complicated hard pipes, plus the $1200 for the FMIC itself.

The side mount is good up to around 15psi, or 400rwhp.
Around the 400rwhp level, the FMIC becomes more effective as the heat generated by the turbo becomes more than the core can control.

450-500rwhp can be had at stock compression with 15psi and racegas/alcohol with adequate fuel / ignition control.

Add 100shot NOS, get to 600rwhp, but at this point you'd need VPC, 440cc plus the auxiliaries, plus a 2nd TT fuel pump, a 2nd fuel line and new fuel rail. All that would set you back another $3k or so.

Puck based is your only option... I went with a sprung disk carbon from RPS. I'm not really happy with it, though. Its not heavy, but chatters a bit. Holds the power, though. A Supra 6spd could use an organic stock disk and still hold the power I'm putting down. There are so many good clutch options for the 6spd.
Old 09-05-01, 10:21 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

ok so based on that i'm wondering now

if i was running the toyomoto kit with a fmic, a VPC with 440cc primaries and 2 550cc auxilaries...
i should be able to run about 15psi correct?
thats 8.5:1 compression... with the vpc; how much power would that be making roundabout?

and i'm thinking of using alcohol injection as an extra... if i had a FMIC, could i run the boost to 18psi w/o the alcohol injection? this is assuming i'm using twin fuel pumps, etc... i'm wondering if 18psi with a FMIC is possible on 93 octane pump gas without the alcohol injection... what kind of power would that be making?
and even more... with the alcohol injection and running the boost up even higher; say around 21psi or so; you think i could touch over 500rwhp with all of that?
i'll put a wet kit of NOS on top of that too eventually
just to make sure there's NO ONE in town that could keep up with me lol
Old 09-06-01, 09:08 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

On the first question... with FMIC 15psi, VPC, fuel, exhaust, etc... On a 60-1 P trim? Probably 450rwhp. At 8.5:1 with an FMIC, you could run 18psi, and max out around 480rwhp... Just a guess. If you're going for this much speed, I'd choose an SP63 (from Sound Performance). It will spool almost as well, yet offer better top end. People are running 130 traps with the SP63. I'm not sure, but rumors are that its a modded Garrett turbo with a proprietary trim and wheel. It probably starts out as a T62 or thereabouts.

At 18psi with the 440cc injectors plus the two additionals, you'd be at the edge of the single TT pump. The 2nd pump with a fuel system would be a benefit.

On an SP63, FMIC, Alcohol and 25psi, you'd be making crazy power... 550-600rwhp.

On a 60-1 w/alcohol you may not hit 25psi without detonation because the turbo looses efficiency above 19psi or so. My guess would be 21psi as you've said... Even then you're on the wrong side of the efficiency curve for this turbo. It wants 18psi or less for top performance.

I may eventually switch to an SP63 turbo, and may do the SP manifold, which is a modified HKS manifold. It is tubular steel and flows like the dickens.

I think the SP63 is $1500 or around there.

Old 09-06-01, 10:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

hey eventually I might do that but not right now hehe

a 120mph trap car is plenty fast enough for me lol

for now anyway
Old 09-07-01, 04:48 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sc300T......why would you swap manifolds?..the cast iron will flow over 600 rwhp.....im going to a T62...../63 turbo after nopi......are you going down to nopi?....ill be there........in the bfgoodrich tires booth...so take a look out.....Jeff

Quick Reply: Help with getting a turbo