Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with getting a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-01, 11:12 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright. I'm ready to get my turbo. I would like to get some help from people that already have them. I've got a 93 SC300, 57k miles. I'm looking to make something I can still daily drive, yet get a good performance increase. I'll take less performance for more daily-drive ability. I was looking at Toyomoto and F-Max for the kits. I really don't want to have to replace my head gasket. What would happen if I was to put a turbo on, but keep the 10:1 compression? Also, what all is needed that they don't list on their site. I was looking at the toyomoto single turbo kit. And I see it lists options.

Basically i want to see what all I need to buy, or is the kit they sell all inclusive to get me up and running with a turbo. Also any tips on install and the such. I've worked on most every part of an engine, just not this one.

SR
Old 07-07-01, 08:21 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Staying at 10:1 is an entirely valid way to go....
You can boost to around 10psi on pump gas, and get 400rwhp with some planning. I ran a 12.73 at 116.90 on a really humid hot day. You can beat a BPU Supra, run with a Z06 vette and stomp most everything else including supercharged mustangs and LS1 Camaros. A 911 turbo may give a good match at this level.

I'd suggest a 60-1 with larger P trim and larger housing for better top end power. The lag would still be very minimal. As a daily driver, the Toyomoto kit is excellent and very durable. A must have for the 10:1 is the MSD ignition box 6BTM. It has the necessary timing retard to allow you to keep your stock timing. Otherwise, you could retard the stock timing by the normal dwell angle on the distributor, but then you'd be giving up MPG. The 6BTM will only retard the timing when needed and is adjustable. Another suggestion is to get an HKS AFC or Apexi SAFC to control fuel. You'll be running lean with stock MAF, and need to richen the mixture a bit. I prefer to run rich all the time and leave the 02 sensors disconnected. This defaults the fuel to a timing map. Engine runs smoother, but runs rich and gulps around 3-4mpg more fuel... The SAFC would cure this condition and allow for smooth operation AND good mileage.
Old 07-08-01, 07:07 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Don't know if you've seen the mag "Import Racer" this month, but there's a SC400 in it. I'm thinking about installing the same NOS setup that it has, a dual-stage 50-100hp system, that uses a single nozzle in the manifold. Would I still be able to do this if I had the turbo kit and 10:1? Are the internals of this engine usually good enough stock form to handle 500hp? And lastly...how much is that toyomoto kit....I'm still waiting on an e-mail with the price. F-Max I can get for about $4200 including everything AND the head gasket.

SR
Old 07-08-01, 08:29 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

NOS, because of its properties won't cause detonation... Turbos and NOS are great companions... If you're gonna run 100 shot, I'd be much more worried about the shock it gives through the driveline and the safety issues involved in setting it up properly. For instance, if you hit the rev limiter when using NOS, your fuel is cut, but the NOS keeps flowing... That creates a lean condition that will cause EGTs to skyrocket and pop the engine... Many people avoid this by using an ignition cut device (like the one built into the MSD6BTM box) and a NOS controller/cut device that deactivates it at a given RPM... I'm also not sure any clutch for the 5spd can handle that type of power with any finesse. I would imagine mine could stay clamped at 500rwhp, but I doubt I'd be able to power shift or carry much power through gear shifts. A complete Toyomoto kit would cost around $6k. The hard pipes he uses are worth $1500 alone... Worth the price compared to the FMax pipes, which have been known to leak.
Old 07-08-01, 08:53 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

So would I be better sticking with a simple Holley NOS 60 kit to be safer? I have yet to hit my rev-limiter anyways....i shift consistently at no more than 6200 when I'm actually racing somone. And JET gets rid of your rev limit anyway

I was thinking of maybe even making my own turbo system....e.g. buying the manifold from toyo or fmax (i've heard many better things about toyo), and getting a muffler shop to mandrel bend me some pipe and such. I figure I can come up with everything for around $2k, and I almost like the idea of making my own kit. Think I could run 6psi with no intercooler, factory fuel injectors, 10:1 compression?

SR
Old 07-08-01, 08:55 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Oh ya....and what NOS manufacturer do y'all think is good? I've looked at ZEX, NitrousExpress, and Holley NOS. As of now I'm thinking Holley from SummitRacing. They've got the kit PN 05124 for $499 that includes everything needed. ZEX has one for $475, but I haven't heard much about that company....

SR
Old 07-08-01, 05:12 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ok. After spending the entire day doing good 'ol research into the turbo world (and going to see The Fast and The Furious for the second time ) I think I've finally decided on what I'm going to do. Up until recently I've always tuned and raced old chevys....350's at 383 with Paxton superchargers and the such. Well watching FnF (and that nice 'ol 9second Charger) again got me thinking...

What about supercharging instead of turbo? I have yet to see a supercharger on a supra/sc300 motor. I've installed many a s'charger so I think I'm going to go that route. Shouldn't be too hard, being that the car uses a serpentine belt. I'll just make a custom bracket, run the cooling lines, and add some fuel injectors and a controller.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Oh ya, and of course I'm going to still put NOS on it.

SR
Old 07-08-01, 05:26 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I'm a fan of the Supercharger, but I don't think anyone makes a bolt on kit...however, if you are going to do your kit, that wouldn't be a problem.

Since you're going the mild boost route, I think Supercharger would be the way to go...

What about ECU reprogramming? I suppose you could use the APEX S-AFC instead but you'll have to spend some time figuring out what the best settings are...

If you do make a complete kit, I'm sure you sell it as complete "bolt-on" kit!

You might want to talk to Swift Racing and see how their Supercharger is coming along..
Old 07-08-01, 06:01 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Ya.....I was thinking about making it into a bolt-on kit to resell if I decide to go with it. Right now I'm trying to decide what type of supercharger I would use. There's ones that are cooled from the cooling system in the car, some that just have oil internal, and some have no real type of cooling....just bolt on, connect intake and manifold pipes, and go. Well there's others, but I'm not going into it that much...lol

Hmmm.....what to do...what to do...

I haven't decided on the electronics yet, I figure I know I want to add extra injectors because of both the boost and the NOS.

I'm guessing I can make the kit for $2000 - $2500.....but that all depends on the type of supercharger I look at.

I'll update everyone when I figure it out. Supercharging would be a much easier way to get a little more performance out of your car than the turbo kit. Many less parts to mess with and install and splice.

SR
Old 07-08-01, 06:43 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Looking at my engine....

I'm thinking maybe I would pull off the fan that's driven from the belts...that will give back a few HP that the supercharger would be pulling from the crank....make it a little more even.

Then I would remove the entire fan shroud, and make a dual-fan electric setup that would mount right against the radiator....this would give me a LOT of room in there to work with. I would most likely mount the SC backwards...i.e. with the shaft and gear pointing towards the back of the car. With the stock fan out of there, it would leave me plenty of room to do this instead of trying to cram it under the distributor.

Longer serpentine belt coming off the power-steering pump up to the supercharger, then back around to an tensioner that would give me the correct approach angle to hit the waterpump/ex-stock fan gear. If you know the belt routing, you'll know what I mean

Hmmm...where would I attach the mount for the SC and the tensioner wheel. I don't see anything that looks like a good place. But having it up there will give me tons of room to route to an intercooler...etc.

SR
Old 07-09-01, 05:17 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sugestion..if you want a fast...relaible daily driven car then buy the toyomoto turbo kit....the money you spend is well worthit it and it comes with everything you need...an s/c isnt a good choice on a 3.0l 6 cyl..mabye on a 5l v8 but not on a small displacment motor...the turbo is alot more adjustable and makes alot more power....point blank....about Fmax..there piping is crap...and manifolds allways leak....then they also warp....i dont know anyone who bought an f-max kit that was happy...get a toymoto stage 1+ kit and stock comperssion and youll be loving it...Jeff
Old 07-09-01, 05:23 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well I e-mailed Toyomoto, waited a few days for a response, and after getting none I'm doing something else! I've seen many a Miata and Civic with superchargers, all happy with them. There's a lot less involved with a supercharger install than a turbo also, and the less parts on my car I affect, the better. I know with a SC if something major happens to the motor, I'll be able to take it all off, and get it fixed under warranty. Now try that with the turbo...ugh another 40hrs of labor on my part!

Not saying turbo is bad....they're awesome and can make way more power....it's just preference. Plus I'd like to have the only SC'ed sc300

SR
Old 07-09-01, 06:24 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Well said, Jeff...

And any centrifugal supercharger with the same peak hp numbers as the turbos, say 350rwhp, would be spanked by a turbo of the same hp. Look at swifts supposed 700hp supercharged beast....Their trap speeds in the 1/4 haven't even matched mine on 400 hp... Where did all the hp go?

Old 07-09-01, 06:45 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Well also....I'm limited to about $7k in my revolving credit account.....and I want to put a kit on....redo interior....more stereo....NOS...etc. Well if I went Toyomoto, I wouldn't have any cash left for anything else before it's time for NOPI! If Toyomoto made the kit for the same $4500 as F-Max, I'd get it. But $6000, nah, I'd rather have a custom SC setup that I designed. If nothing else, just for the cool factor...i LOVE the whine of a SC

SR

Old 07-09-01, 09:38 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you get what you pay for and ill see you at nopi

Quick Reply: Help with getting a turbo