Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

performance enhancing chips

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-05, 12:55 PM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance enhancing chips

Would anyone be able to share some of your experiences with performance chips as well as super chargers including what brands work the best along with a where to buy

thanks
Old 09-07-05, 01:04 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Chips? No such animal for the toyota.

To change performance, Well the s-afc works good, i hear the emanage is alot better. The next step would be AEM, but thats $$$$. Theres no supercharger kits on the market. Most ppl with SC300's either turbo the stock motor, or swap in a factory twin turbo 2.5 liter 1jzgte soarer motor, or 3.0 liter supra motor. The SC400 guys i hear either go custom SC kit or turbo.
Old 09-07-05, 02:11 PM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Default no chip - really?

You used some terminology that I'm not familiar with -
s-afc?
emanage?
AEM?
Old 09-07-05, 02:28 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Chips? No such animal for the toyota.

To change performance, Well the s-afc works good, i hear the emanage is alot better. The next step would be AEM, but thats $$$$. Theres no supercharger kits on the market. Most ppl with SC300's either turbo the stock motor, or swap in a factory twin turbo 2.5 liter 1jzgte soarer motor, or 3.0 liter supra motor. The SC400 guys i hear either go custom SC kit or turbo.

Actually there are supercharger kits available for the SC400 but they are created in Australia. I don't know of anyone offhand that has one here on CL though. A lot of custom work is involved as I understand.

Correct that there are no "chips" for our cars, but you can have the ECU reprogrammed for more aggressive A/F ratios, timing, etc. A bit costly.
The s-afc is probably the best, cost effective route and I believe 1st gen units can be had fairly cheap right now.
Old 09-07-05, 02:29 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by arunp1783
You used some terminology that I'm not familiar with -
s-afc?
emanage?
AEM?

In thier simplest form, they are electronic devices used to remap fuel curves, A/F ratios, timing, etc.
Old 09-07-05, 02:33 PM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Default Okay - I'll bite

Where does one go to get one?
Old 09-07-05, 02:34 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by arunp1783
Where does one go to get one?

Start with fleabay. If you're not comfortable going that route, most performance shops will either carry one or can order it for you. You can also order from larger online performance shops.
Old 09-07-05, 03:05 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

S-AFC is your best bed for simple remapping. Its the Apexi Super Air Fuel Controller. The Toyota ECU is not like a GM or ford or etc.. you cant add on a "chip" to gain performance. It sucks.
Old 09-07-05, 04:34 PM
qtb33
Lead Lap

From the sound of it, you may want to do some serious reading to learn up on the different functions and characteristics of each. It's always good to see new people interested in modding their cars but money dosn't make up for a lack of knowedge. In the end you can save alot of time, money and heartach by doing some reading and asking questions.

Good luck
Old 09-07-05, 04:48 PM
arunp1783
Driver School Candidate

Default you're absolutely right

That's part of the reason why I'm on this forum. I perfer to seek knowledge before taking action.

I don't want to go nuts with the car; but it does need some performance ehancements. I want to have a plan of attack so I don't end up with a big mess on my hands

Last edited by arunp1783; 09-07-05 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 05:30 PM
baron
Driver School Candidate

Here in Australia there are a number of options regarding Superchargers....Bullett Cars in Queensland, Rush Imports in NSW, Harrop Engineering(near completion) in Victoria and Forced Air technologies(Maybe out of business now but had a 300 plus rwkw methanol/lpg car)...basic kits with no intercooler and at about 5/6 lb boost give a reliable 30/40% increase in top end rwkw BUT the big increase was in torque down low and right across the range...that increase in tractibility and drive-ability is the REAL gain...obviously with more money spent and better ancillaries the power goes up....basic kit from Rush Imports for example uses an M90 at around 6 pounds(13.5 standing 1/4).....Regarding the ECU, the V8 auto has been hard to 'tune' but japanese houses such as Mines, Sard and Blitz have all had ECU's changed to increase timing or fuel with varying degrees of success....Mines also deletes the JDM 180 speed limit , changes rev limits as well as timing and fuel.....lately Unichip here in Australia has a plug and play tuneable device that seems to work well and individually tuned in the car on a dyno...eg a 10/11% increase across the board and at the top end with increases in timing of up to about 6 degrees on 98 local fuel(different rating system here in Oz to US).....the base dyno figures on a dyno dynamics machine in shootout modeI for a V8 with exhaust are about 135/140 ish to a changed 155/160 ish rwkw NB add 30% for HP figures ....I run a Mines code ECU with 3 way switchable between stock, 7500 rpm, and 8000rpm limits with increased timing and deleted JDM speed cut.....there are options out there guys....we have JDM Jzz30,(TT and Vvt-i) Uzz30(coils), Uzz31(air suspension) and Uzz 32(active suspension)....Rush and a lot of other guys have swapped autos to manual transmission either using a W58 or R154 box.....there a few factory man/trans around(about 5% of production)...I'll be in LA for the LAX meet on 21st Sept and NYC for a get together hosted by Aliga about a week later.....hope this info helps you in your search
Old 09-07-05, 05:33 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

I find that after having a bag of Mission tortilla chips covered with melted cheddar cheese, I perform better -- my shifting is more consistent and my clutch control is spot on.

When adding refried beans, I've noticed alot added to the low end.
Old 09-07-05, 05:49 PM
baron
Driver School Candidate

By the way there are very few 3 litre JDM Soarers here, they are not looked on as desirable as 2.5 TT's or single turbo VVT-I's or 4.0 litre V8's....they are bought for lower insurance premium reasons for younger buyersor by newbies....no one gets a 3 litre and puts a turbo kit on it..... they prefer to buy a 3 litre Supra in N/A form, or a 3 TT or a later model 3VVT-I model when insurance is not a consideration...there are a few 3 litre transplants in Soarers , one a full HKS car with 458rwkw with more boost available(the owner put a limit on the dyno operator but the car is capable of 500 rwkw plus) and it is manual and a couple of middle 350 cars....lots of 300 plus 2.5TT's .....these top manual cars have either Apexi FC or HKS management....some others have different management systems eg microtech etc etc
Old 09-07-05, 09:03 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

map-ecu
Old 09-08-05, 05:58 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by SupraCoup3
I find that after having a bag of Mission tortilla chips covered with melted cheddar cheese, I perform better -- my shifting is more consistent and my clutch control is spot on.

When adding refried beans, I've noticed alot added to the low end.

That there's funny right there!

Quick Reply: performance enhancing chips