Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What the HELL are these fleabay auctions about?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-05, 05:17 PM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone regurgitates the same stuff on every one of these threads. The cut-n-half turbo and the cracked honda header come up in EVERY_SINGLE_POST about this stuff. Nothing new.

The "ebay" turbos... interestingly enough had the exact same wheel as one of my borg-warner (KKK) turbo. The p-trim wheel was exactly the same as a garret P-trim. My spare v-banded exhaust housing bolted right up. The compressor housing was...wait for it... NOT glued together.
The cost to build a turbo (even in china, knocking off an original design) is really not where the money is. Making a 200$ manifold? Simple... but putting together something with 10 different parts that are said to be all cast in house... and selling them for a few hundred bucks? No fawking way. The parts are being outsourced somewhere else (knockoff or not) and being put together at the real cost for some of these units. You don't really think the wholesale costs on the "name brand" turbo components are anywhere near what retail is? I can see the compressor housing and exhaust housing being made... but the center sections are definetly comming from somewhere else.

The "ebay" manifold for the GE/GTE is also pretty damn thick. Some of the port work is iffy.. but then again, we're talking about a manifold that is for the >700hp crowd and it ***200$**** for ****s sake.

Last edited by MadMaxxNA; 09-15-05 at 05:23 PM.
Old 09-15-05, 09:28 PM
deruvian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is all very intriguing stuff. I tried heading over to Supraforums to do my share of the research, but apparently accounts cannot be had.

I emailed the admin in hopes of getting an account - still no response. What's up with that?

Mikethe1st, or whomever may know, what turbo is pictured (the one that is cracked in half)?