Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Follow up to Fireless Smoke Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-05, 04:00 PM
tommy2tall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow up to Fireless Smoke Yesterday

I took the sc400 to an engine shop with a good reputation. It has a blown head gasket for sure but it will take a lot of labor to find out more. $2100 in labor just to tear the engine down to find out what the underlying damage will be. The engine turns over but the mechanic thinks two cylinders have lost compression. He needs an approval from me to have a machine shop check the heads for warpage. If it's just the gasket it could cost $3000.

My wife said she had the fluid levels checked three weeks ago. She didn't notice the temp gauge rising when it happened. I expect the problem started with a sudden a failure in cooling system. (Pump or hose)

What would my list mates do?

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

TTT

Orininal Post:

Hi All-

My wife has a 1996 SC400 with 48K miles. Maintained by Lexus dealer until warranty expired in 2000. Never had a problem. Changed oil every 3000 miles since 2000.

Coming home from a party last night the engine lost power and blue smoke coming from engine compartment. Cruising at freeway speed we pulled off and called fire department. The check engine light was on and temp guage was maxed. Fire dept opened the hood and sprayed the engine. No actual flames. I had kept the hood closed so as not to let it ignite. Engine wouldn't re-start.

AAA towed it to our home. I noticed oil on the bed of the tow truck. Still coolant in the reservoir.

This morning I checked the oil level with the dipstick. Normal. No real damage by the smoke. Engine still would't start, although it turned over.

Do any of you have a suggestion as to what happened? I can't tow it to a mechanic until tomorrow.

Thanks in advance, TTT
Old 09-20-05, 05:42 PM
got_trd
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$3K? I think a TT swap would be of more appeal
Old 09-20-05, 05:47 PM
SC4Million
Driver

Only $3K to swap from a SC400 1UZ to a 2JZ-GTE. You tell me where I can get that with all the supporting hardware and 6-spd I'll do it today.

But serious, you could probibly get a low mileage used 4.0L and have it installed for less than 3K.
Old 09-20-05, 06:57 PM
Nomis
Lead Lap

I'd be real curious as to the cause of the blown HG. Did the mechanic speculate as to what could have caused it?
Old 09-20-05, 08:02 PM
tommy2tall
Driver School Candidate

The mechanic said there was no coolant in the radiator. I saw about an inch of coolant in the reservoir before they towed it away. Could that be? Can there be coolant in the plastic reservoir but none in the radiator? I have never seen a leak anywhere before it over heated. The coolant loss must have been catastrophic.

A Lexus dealer suggested that I find out where the coolant went before letting them tear down the engine. Also, he said that his price was $300 lower to replace all of the seals, belts HG, and valves. That was a surprise! Dealer also said most insurance companies would cover the damage if road debris caused damage to the hoses or radiator.

I will know more tomorrow. I promise to let you all know.

TTT