Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ-GTE Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 09:51 PM
Kaukau
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question a benefit of buying a front clip

I wonder that whats the major benefit to buy a whole front clip instead of buying a motor with un-cut harness and wiring, plus ECU, so forth parts needed to work on a swap job.
Old 09-25-05, 06:28 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

With the clip youll have everything youll need. Like ALL the wiring, intercooler, everything!

Another thing that bothers me is that if ur 2jz-gte is well maintained and in good condition
I think you meant 2jz-ge. Right?

Jordan
Old 09-25-05, 07:16 PM
Kaukau
Driver

Red face 2jz-ge

yes...not 2JZ-GTE, mine is 2JZ-GE. I want to have a 1.5JZ on my car...
Old 09-25-05, 07:19 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've read quite a few posts abput the 1jz swap and extending the wire harness. Are the ECU wires the only 1s that need to be lengthened?
Old 09-25-05, 07:26 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i didnt buy a clip, just a complete swap with all harnesses, ic, everything. Only thing i didnt get in the swap kit was the remote PS resivior. Im just gettin it back together and about ready to put in, so far thats all im missing. I paid 999.99 for the swap.... 20-30km on motor, vin/motor id plate off the car, everything, even 30 day running garentee.
Old 09-26-05, 07:10 AM
Kaukau
Driver

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
i didnt buy a clip, just a complete swap with all harnesses, ic, everything. Only thing i didnt get in the swap kit was the remote PS resivior. Im just gettin it back together and about ready to put in, so far thats all im missing. I paid 999.99 for the swap.... 20-30km on motor, vin/motor id plate off the car, everything, even 30 day running garentee.
I wonder how did you manage to have a motor cheap? Most motors I found are sold around $1,500 or above... Is the remote power stairing reserver swapable from the SC? 30days warranty on block only or?
Old 09-26-05, 05:19 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
Someone should make a really really complete FAQ
It already exists, but not on this forum And it was written by someone posting in this thread
Old 09-26-05, 05:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rising_Sun
I've read quite a few posts abput the 1jz swap and extending the wire harness. Are the ECU wires the only 1s that need to be lengthened?
No they dont NEED to be lengthened... the chassis/dash harness connectors however, MUST be lengthened

Originally Posted by Kaukau
I wonder how did you manage to have a motor cheap? Most motors I found are sold around $1,500 or above... Is the remote power stairing reserver swapable from the SC? 30days warranty on block only or?
Dunno where VJ found his, but JHOT has them for $1200ish

No, the power steering reservoir needs to come from a TT Supra or TT Soarer. Some have rerouted it successfully.... do a search for how its done.
But the reasoning behind it is that the opposite-side intake manifold and throttlebody (vs sameside on the GE) will run right through the spot the stock power steering reservoir occupies. Look under your hood and you'll see what I mean, its in the way, big time
Old 09-28-05, 09:00 PM
Kaukau
Driver

Red face Thank you

Thank you very much for people left some recommendations for my project or shared valuable information. I really appreciated.

After I sort of read almost of all posts for 1JZ-swap issues...the one thing in my mind not to work on this project... more the post I read, I get more nervous....because I am going to buy an unknown 1JZ motor. Even most of motors come with a start-up warranty, not so sure how the engine had been taken care of. Even though 1JZ or 2JZ are well reputed, motor could be beaten up badly in low miles. Because I consider that SC is a highway cruiser, not town ride light-weight car. I can imagine how most JDM motor had been beaten up in low miles. Because of the stop and go driving pattern. Since my car has all OEM any place replaced except the timing belt and been all taken care of by Lexus dealer from the beginning of the purchase. The all record even every 3,000 miles routine maintenance histories from the 1st owner. I think I understand that swapping motor is the best bid efficient in both financial and time. But I am still wondering that in order to get +100hp on my wheels, swapping a motor could be a risky project for me, if my car is hitting 300k miles. And I know 2JZ-GE motor is basically not designed come with Turbo. Adding turbo on my car is way so much works compared with 1JZ swap in both gaining +100hp. Another alternative for me that save some $$ now and make it as a down-payment to buy another car in the future…I am very confused myself to make a decision on 1JZ swapping project now...