Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT 1UZ Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-09 | 07:53 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
It won't help the turbo life any, but again that’s not what I’m concerned about.
Now an anti lag, although that’s for a launch and not during shifts, delays the ignition until the exhaust valve is open, sending the combusting gases into the header to spool the turbo. This is basically the worst thing if your worried about the turbos life, and over spool. but it's great at building boost off the line. I'm thinking about installing an anti lag system also, but thats a later step. I’m not aware of an anti lag system that works during shifting.
AEM actually has an anti-lag system for between shifts... works AWESOME...

Ever watched a rally race? Listen carefully as they are going around turns at slower speeds... you hear lots of popping and see some flame throwing - that's anti-lag... keeps the turbo spooled while not completely off the throttle...

With AEM's EMS, you can actually program is so that there is no lift to shift, which controls maximum rpm, and combines it with anti-lag, so that the turbos stay spooled 100% and the engine stays at whatever RPM you pick between shifts, no right foot action needed...
Old 01-08-09 | 09:44 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

First off, mitsuboy needs to learn a little something about sarcasm, I am no stranger to boost myself by any means, but I'm sure as hell not going to brag about some DSM or how much I know or where I've worked. I've read his books man, that doesn't make you special that you happened to work where he did. I've known plenty of ASE and UTI guys that were less than impressive. I'll post pics of the 800+ MKIV I'm building if you want.

Secondly, rdm20; you're setup isn't going to work

1. If you plan on running the turbos at their maximum flow rating, you're more than likely far beyond their efficiency point.
2. Unless those are something like T25-T28 turbos (any T2 frame or small T3), which they aren't, I guarantee you that motor isn't built enough to withstand the CFM that they will produce with free spin on the turbin wheel.
3. If you are by some crazy way diverting pressure from the turbo itself constantly through the exhuast plumbing, you are drastically reducing boost threshold and in the long run it still will not regulate boost.
4. Both of you are seriously confusing the BOV and the wastegate.
5. Are you planning on going half throttle to regulate boost?
This thread is retarded and your build is a whole new level of WTF if you're not running a wastegate, end of story.

Last edited by 2jzlex; 01-08-09 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-08-09 | 10:00 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
First off, mitsuboy needs to learn a little something about sarcasm, I am no stranger to boost myself by any means, but I'm sure as hell not going to brag about some DSM or how much I know or where I've worked. I've read his books man, that doesn't make you special that you happened to work where he did. I've known plenty of ASE and UTI guys that were less than impressive. I'll post pics of the 800+ MKIV I'm building if you want.

Secondly, rdm20; you're setup isn't going to work

1. If you plan on running the turbos at their maximum flow rating, you're more than likely far beyond their efficiency point.
2. Unless those are something like T25-T28 turbos (any T2 frame or small T3), which they aren't, I guarantee you that motor isn't built enough to withstand the CFM that they will produce with free spin on the turbin wheel.
3. If you are by some crazy way diverting pressure from the turbo itself constantly through the exhuast plumbing, you are drastically reducing boost threshold and in the long run it still will not regulate boost.
4. Both of you are seriously confusing the BOV and the wastegate.
5. Are you planning on going half throttle to regulate boost?
This thread is retarded and your build is a whole new level of WTF if you're not running a wastegate, end of story.
Um, sorry, but your little post hints of very little sarcasm...
We agree, so why are you being an *** about it?

I actually do understand how he theorizes this to work, and can see it working, but the costs far outweigh the benefits...

I was just giving a little info that I have a pretty good working knowledge of turbo cars... Besides, you are bragging same as I am - about your 800 hp not running Supra...

edit: and how am I confusing the blow off valve and a wastegate - a wastegate regulates boost, a blowoff valve prevents damage to the turbo when the throttle is closed quickly...

Last edited by mitsuguy; 01-08-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-08-09 | 11:00 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Wow, I've never seen a turbo setup without a wastegate. I think you need to seriously reconsider your design. Let me dumb it down a little more for you.

1. The turbo's are powered by the exhaust gas as it exits the engine.
2. Then the throttle is opened, more air enters, and therefore exits, the engine.
3. As the gas flow increases, the boost increases.
4. Without a wastegate, your turbos will continue to spool, and BLOW UP.
5. By venting the pressure with the blow off valve, you will pretty much have a constant boost leak and turbos that are running at their full capacity 100% of the time.
6. Bye bye turbos/engine

Hope this helps. How much of a problem is it to add an extra grand worth of parts, to save yourself ten grand?
Old 01-08-09 | 11:24 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by OneJay
Wow, I've never seen a turbo setup without a wastegate. I think you need to seriously reconsider your design. Let me dumb it down a little more for you.

1. The turbo's are powered by the exhaust gas as it exits the engine.
2. Then the throttle is opened, more air enters, and therefore exits, the engine.
3. As the gas flow increases, the boost increases.
4. Without a wastegate, your turbos will continue to spool, and BLOW UP.
5. By venting the pressure with the blow off valve, you will pretty much have a constant boost leak and turbos that are running at their full capacity 100% of the time.
6. Bye bye turbos/engine

Hope this helps. How much of a problem is it to add an extra grand worth of parts, to save yourself ten grand?
The only one not correct is #4... depending on the exhaust housing size and turbine wheel size, the turbos will spin as fast as possible depending on the volume of exhaust gas flowing through the hot side... a small turbo on a large engine will over spin, even if it has a wastegate with a high boost pressure, whereas a large turbo on a small engine will never spin fast enough to matter (and will probably have compressor surge and not run good to start)
Old 01-08-09 | 06:11 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Guys,

Rdm20fan already made a decision on how to build his system, so I believe all of your points are already taken into his consideration, probably before you brought them up. He's not new to building the engine or the turbo system. You can see how nice his system is built. In fact, he's one of the first person who actually built a turbo SC400 and made it running into reality, while many others just keep dreaming of building one, including myself. So give him some trust and see how it turns out. I believe he did enough research and knows what he's doing. Even if it might not turn out the way he wanted, he still has the credit of venturing into a special setup.

Some of your points are respected, but some of the words that you used aren't kind enough to be called "sharing". They're more like showing off with the pants off.
Old 01-08-09 | 09:19 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Thanks Steve. Again I appreciate your comments.
Turbos were not designed with wastegates originally. allot of new diesel engines today don't run wastegates. A wastegate is used to regulate boost, and increase the turbos life. Again I'm not worried about the turbo life. and the no wastegate isn't my idea. I didn't just come up with it. I basically copied the idea from a couple turbo books I read.
I have seen the no wastegate work, and nothing "Blows Up". Smokey Yunick used this trick years ago to basically cheat a boost rule.
Old 01-08-09 | 09:36 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

I don't really care what he has done or not done, if his system is built nice or not, or what his or his shops theory/reasoing is. This isn't the way to build a quality, reliable, or properly functioning turbocharging system. I'm not a punk that hates change or against trying something new, I'm all for it. Problem is this setup is asking for problems, period /thread end of story. People think equal length runners on exhaust manifolds for turbos are ideal which isn't the case at all, people still think BOVs are performance upgrades, people still think intake temps get hot on turbos because it passes by the turbine housing and it gets hotter by transitive heat, people go to tech schools to learn things, doesn't mean they know what they are talking about or what things are really like in practice. Bottom line is, there are setups that work, and those that don't, this is one of those that fall into the latter. If he knew the ifs and whys of everything I think it would be a different story to just try something different, but I don't think this is the case. yes Mitsuboy is trying to flaunt his so called knowledge, he should stick to his sig upgrades though.
Old 01-08-09 | 09:45 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Don't comapre diesel turbo systems to regular turboed cars, that's apples to oranges.

On a sidenote, I just now found the one picture describing what you're going to do, I missed it the first time around. I still think it's a bassackwards way to do it and your reasons for doing it aren't justified, but it is interesting.....

Last edited by 2jzlex; 01-09-09 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-09-09 | 01:03 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

My reasons aren't justified?

"MY" car + "MY' choice = justified

PERIOD

End of story
Old 01-09-09 | 01:40 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

PERIOD

End of story
Agreed!
Guys, lets end the negitive discussion about Bob's boost control method!

Thanks all.
Old 01-09-09 | 01:59 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

PERIOD

End of story
Bob's Resolution 101.
Old 01-09-09 | 03:38 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Good stuff... Have fun.
Old 01-09-09 | 03:49 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
... BTW, where did you plumb the wastegates?

Nice project!

-scott
Wow! I didn't realize my comment back in October would create such a fuss.

Clearly, the quality of the build is outstanding; so, I for one give rdm20fan the benefit of the doubt regarding his method of controlling boost. Plus, if venting boost pressure doesn't work, adding wastegates later is, if anything, convenient given the routing of the exhaust directly below the turbo manifolds.

I'm in for hearing more about how boost pressure is vented. After all, I would think a variable valve (ironically like a wastegate) is needed on the charge pipe to allow control of different boost levels. Can you please provide info on how boost is incrementally controlled?

Thanks!
-scott
Old 01-09-09 | 06:41 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

+1 I think the quality of the whole build and the time and effort put into it looks great. I give you a big for that! Good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: TT 1UZ Rebuild