Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT 1UZ Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-09, 12:44 PM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys are really making me want to get a sc400 along with my sc300. I have been thinking of getting another sc300 to drop a 1JZ in for a daily driver but a sc400 might be the way I go.
Old 01-28-09, 04:35 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

wow.... cant wait to see this car up and running.
Old 01-28-09, 05:19 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMEGOBY
you guys are really making me want to get a sc400 along with my sc300. I have been thinking of getting another sc300 to drop a 1JZ in for a daily driver but a sc400 might be the way I go.
Trust me. A boosted SC400 is a monster at low end. It rips the ground off easily, and it still has more than enough juice at high end.
Old 01-28-09, 08:02 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,409 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Good question Steve. Drivability. Lets face it. no tuner is going to tune the car better for drivability then Toyota did with the stock ECU and injectors.
I think tuning is easier as you don't need to tune the car to run. Toyota has that covered. It basically needs to be tuned for the motor under boost only. (I'm not the tuner so I'm really only guessing)
When you go to a large injector you sometimes have a hard time getting the motor to idle, and the lower RPM range suffers. High RPM and racing is great.
The second set of injectors allows me to keep the mild side of the motor with Toyota tuning, and the second set comes on with boost to add the extra fuel.
the additional injector controller cost less then a stand alone, but the additional injector bungs, and the work to put them in basically made up for it.
It's really just a different way of adding fuel.
The system doesn't do timing though, and Chris is working on a unit to retard timing with boost also.
Overall I don't know if it's a benefit or not. it's just another way of getting the fuel in.
It does allow me to run a second fuel through the additional injectors (Alcohol maybe wink wink)

Here is a shot of the second set of injectors plumbed into the monifold.
I'd like to add something that I found when I was running A Zex Nitrious set up on one of my previous SC4's while tunining on the Dyno. A good adjustable fuel pressure regulator can control the injectors overfueling, in non boost, non FI regular running condition. On the Dyno a correctly adjusted FPR can provide a Stock SC4 about 10rwhp with no other change. Somewhere I saw something about the spring in the injectors allowing more or too much fuel as they get older. I'm not sure about this but, I do know adjusting/trimming the fuel pressure can gain RWHP.

Second, I see alot about ECU tunning both standalone and piggyback. There are 2 Piggyback ECu's that I know of that can do alot more than people think, including controlling boost, 2nd sets on injectors and other things like Progressive Nitrous and Have diffrent maps that are switchable on demannd. They also have adjustments for Timing and fuel, and can controll just about anything in the ECU like Rev limit, transmission shift points, VVT-i and whatever other lines you can find in the stock ECU. The Stock ECU Will Not override or relearn if the Piggyback is tuned finely and correctly. One is the Unichip, and the other is the Perfect Power SMT-6 and SMT-7, who I think use to be with Unichip. Perfect Power gives you the software and the Unichip softwear can be found from time to time on the web. You may want to consider this to tune you car with. Sometimes you can catch a Unichip or SMT-6 or 7 on Ebay for $ 75 - $ 200.

Last edited by jgscott; 01-28-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 08:35 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Forgot something. That 2nd inject set up is nice and clean.

I kinda forgot how the NON VVT-i motor fuel rail is or if it's different. Can you kinda explain how you made that. Was it Y'd in ? I was kinda wondering if that would work for a Direct port Nitrious set up ?

Without having to drill into the Intake mani and block air flow ?
Old 01-28-09, 08:40 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate the nice comments, and advice. My SC made about 500 at the back tires, and I have been in an SC300 that made about 500 at the back tires. They are much different. Now I think the 2JZ is an outstanding motor, and the last thing I’m trying to do is make light of the incredible power these motors make, but the 1UZ makes the acceleration of the car feel effortless. the added torque you get from the V8, and the larger displacement is awesome, and I think the Toyota V8 is an outstanding motor that has yet to be truly exposed by the aftermarket.

Thanks jgscott. I personally don’t really know a lot about piggy back systems. The system I’m using is a secondary Injector controller made by 034 EFI. It’s is completely independent of the stock ECU. It has it’s own MAP sensor, and based on boost, and RPM adds fuel off of it’s own maps. It doesn’t see, or communicate with the Toyota ECU.
Now there are a lot of great stand alone units too. I’ve basically started with this secondary injector controller on a different project I did. I had good results, and wanted to try it again. So far so good.
We’ll see how far I can push it. If I need to switch at some point I may.
Thanks again for your input guys. I appreciate the support.

The additional injectors are completely seperate from the stock ones. They have there own fuel tank, pump, filter, and lines. (this will allow me to run a different fuel under boost if I want to later on. Alcohol maybe)
Originially i installed a second pump in the stock tank, ran a second line, and shared the return.
Attached Thumbnails TT 1UZ Rebuild-dsc00439.jpg  
Old 01-28-09, 08:43 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Good question Steve. Drivability. Lets face it. no tuner is going to tune the car better for drivability then Toyota did with the stock ECU and injectors.
I think tuning is easier as you don't need to tune the car to run. Toyota has that covered. It basically needs to be tuned for the motor under boost only. (I'm not the tuner so I'm really only guessing)
When you go to a large injector you sometimes have a hard time getting the motor to idle, and the lower RPM range suffers. High RPM and racing is great.
The second set of injectors allows me to keep the mild side of the motor with Toyota tuning, and the second set comes on with boost to add the extra fuel.
the additional injector controller cost less then a stand alone, but the additional injector bungs, and the work to put them in basically made up for it.
It's really just a different way of adding fuel.
The system doesn't do timing though, and Chris is working on a unit to retard timing with boost also.
Overall I don't know if it's a benefit or not. it's just another way of getting the fuel in.
It does allow me to run a second fuel through the additional injectors (Alcohol maybe wink wink)

Here is a shot of the second set of injectors plumbed into the monifold.
Looks good, but talk about excess... you would have been better off going with a universal AEM... We ran 1000cc injectors in my good friends EVO... tuned it good enough to get 32 mpg highway, 24 mpg city (better than stock), and it drove like a stock car... it also made over 500 at the wheels on a bone stock motor...
Old 01-28-09, 08:58 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I've seen acouple cars run large injectors and I just didn't like the drivabilty.
I think it's cool your friend had such great luck on his car.
It was alot of work, but I'm happy with the outcome.

Here is a short video of my SC as it was started for the first time with my new set-up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCMTKERT6yQ
Old 01-28-09, 09:12 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob just saw the first start up...

Ryan
Old 01-28-09, 09:16 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

I've seen acouple cars run large injectors and I just didn't like the drivabilty.

Here is a short video of my SC as it was started for the first time with my new set-up.

I'm still trying to see where you tap'd the 2nd set of injectors in ? Are they T'd into the stock injector port ?
Old 01-29-09, 05:13 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hate to say it, but stay away from whatever tuner they were using... and also, things change completely once you go to a standalone... trying to use huge injectors on a stock ECM, no matter what piggyback you are using is a nightmare... when you go to a standalone, it's almost like the car was designed for the bigger injectors from the start... For the record, I ran 850cc injectors in my own Talon when it made almost 500 whp...

here's another tuner saying the same as I: http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5085

and another: http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopi...790882e068168b

I give you props for going out on a limb on some of these things, but I learned a long time ago, the simpler the better... I also learned that varying from tried and true designs usually meant costing more in the long run (though sometimes cheaper initially), and it almost always meant that there was little to no benefit by going away from what has worked for others for a long long time...

Building a high HP car is easy, really... especially a small displacement V8... You are making it much more complicated than it really is...
Old 01-29-09, 05:23 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Hate to say it, but stay away from whatever tuner they were using... and also, things change completely once you go to a standalone... trying to use huge injectors on a stock ECM, no matter what piggyback you are using is a nightmare... when you go to a standalone, it's almost like the car was designed for the bigger injectors from the start... For the record, I ran 850cc injectors in my own Talon when it made almost 500 whp...

here's another tuner saying the same as I: http://forums.evans-tuning.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5085

and another: http://www.efi101.com/forum/viewtopi...790882e068168b

I give you props for going out on a limb on some of these things, but I learned a long time ago, the simpler the better... I also learned that varying from tried and true designs usually meant costing more in the long run (though sometimes cheaper initially), and it almost always meant that there was little to no benefit by going away from what has worked for others for a long long time...

Building a high HP car is easy, really... especially a small displacement V8... You are making it much more complicated than it really is...
It's obvious he's not following the cookie cutter route with a more common setup like the 2jz, 1jz etc.....I say get off his back and let him build his car. I went the cookie cutter route myself with a usdm gte setup but that's me, I would rather have a TTV8 with a V160, who knows maybe I will eventually but I respect rdm20fan for what he's done to his car. In the end it's whatever makes the owner happy.
Old 01-29-09, 09:03 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cherplex
..."In the end it's whatever makes the owner happy."
Nuff said...
Old 01-29-09, 09:53 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just saw startup and that sounded monster. Congrats.
Old 01-29-09, 10:51 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
If it's "Easy, Really . . . ." i'd love to see your less complicated one.

Quick Reply: TT 1UZ Rebuild