Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT 1UZ Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 04:50 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rollexus
"Nick, why you feel the need to lump me in with the other 2 projects"

Hey Ryan, given your ability to step up to the plate as these other two gentleman have done with such an ambitious project has put you in the same class respectfully.

Nick, I appreciate your comments, and although I definitely called you out, I did do it respectfully. If you think about it, you do not know me either, but because I have taken on a project TT'ing the 1UZ for my car, you choose to put me in the same group as the other two, and I find that to be in error. Their projects, according to their own words, are not going further, and therefore, have not really been completed (In Bob's case), and not completed with the best of quality (In Eric's case). If you read my thread ( I do apologize for the length of it), you will clearly see that not only is it not stopped, but I am planning on a long first test drive this weekend. So, my point is, you should never have "lumped me into the former group", and I stand by that emphatically.

"insinuating that my project may also be going the way of the "Dodo" (No offense to Bob or Cowboy), I do not really understand."

My apologies if you took it the wrong way, I am not this type of negative person.I wanted to hear from you. Read on regarding why....

Nick, if you wanted to hear from me, why not simply go to the last post on my thread, and ask for a status? It is a simple thing to do...

"While I cannot speak for Cowboy, or Bob, it appears that at minimum, funds became a major issue to completing their projects. That is not only understanding, but quite normal with many "Car projects" across the nation. Many people start their dream projects and then just run out of money. So, to answer your question, the major issue to steer clear of so that you can keep from "breaking your back" on a major project such as turboing the SC400: Make sure you are clear on your goals of your project before you start it, make sure you understand and plan out your project and the costs it will incur. Especially make sure you allow a 20% cushion for unexpected costs, and then make sure you have done your best to select the proper fabricators and companies to do the work on your car. If you do these things, and you do not lose interest, as Bob did, then you should be able to complete your project."

Bingo! spoken like a scholar. We get a lot of ambitious individuals coming to my brother's shop trying to turn their Hyndais to RTs. 9/10 cases fall under what you described above. As these young member see such projects on forums much like this one, they start getting way over their heads. It is almost like we are selling them fake dreams. They need to be educated on the true sacrifices, not a bunch of "SWEET", "ALL SEX" etc.. types of pictures.

Agreed...

"With the SC400, everything is custom, and usually "One Off", so that adds massive amounts of time and money to your project timeline and costs. That is the hardest part of completing a project such as this. Nothing else. So, before you decide to post up what I consider to be an inconsiderate, and rude post,"

Right now we have 2 SC400 shells, 2 fully built 2UZs, 1 scrapped 2UZ, 2 TT Kits, 2 V161s, 2 complete TT rear ends, 2 P&P ECU, waiting on 2 sets of cooling systems. Each customer put in ~30K in hardware and 0 ratchets turned as of yet. These customer have many worries money is not one of them.

I understand...Money was never my issue either...

" with no real understanding, I must request that you stop and think before you type...."

Please sir, I know you as being the honest and gentleman that you are. There is no need for such comments. You don't even know who you are talking to. Again, respectfully.

I intended no disrespect in my reply to you, but I do not believe you thoroughly thought through including me in group of presumed failed projects...Again, go to my thread and read my last post...My thread is not failed, I have not stopped, I am not discouraged, nor am I attempting to sell my car, or part it out. So, why did you feel compelled to include me with the other two?

"So again, the next time you decide to type such an uninformed question, why don't you consider carefully what you write, because it shows that you do not understand what you are stating...."

Being a PhD student, I cannot put so much time into these threads, however; I would like all these youngsters to know, such projects can bring you down to your knees. Mod guru's please say it how it is, not how it seems to be.

Seriously, I sincerely congratulate you on your working towards your PhD. That is a testament to your ability to think things through, or to understand beyond what most can or are willing to do. Should I note that I am working towards my MBA? It will help my business endeavors, perhaps my car, but probably not.

Ryan, I would love for you to come uo here and see what we are doing, we do have some talented Mech engineers here in Canada, but USA will always be big brother. Kudos on the hard work I do hope it dioes work out for you. Hell, I will even come down to see this thing.

Nick, I do intend to visit Toronto in the future...I will most definitely look you up before I visit...And I mean this in a positive way...I am not angry with you, nor do I hold any malice towards you. I just do not appreciate you "lumping" my project into the group that you did...

Bob, I wish you good luck on the sale, as hard as it may be can you please enlighten us on where the project went wrong. Success stories are good to hear however; it is the failures that we learn the most from.

Mods, you should know that this is not a thread hijack, please see the bigger pic here. There is no exchanging of harsh words, at least not from my end. Let the truth be told as Ryan has so thoughtfully done.

Nick from Toronto.
Nick, let us accept each others posts respectfully, take anything further over to PM, and not hijack Bob's thread...Poor Bob...

Bob, again, I apologize for posting up here, and good luck on the sale.

Ryan
Old 08-15-10, 10:09 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I simply lost interest in the project. Lots of time, and very little reward.
The car is listed on ebay starting at 5:00 chicago time. $200 starting bid. no reserve.
Comes with new pauter connecting rods, pistons, built rearend, Getrag trans, plus many other parts I spent to much money on.
Old 12-04-12, 09:07 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

When was the last time you saw this thread Pop up?
LOL

I sold my SC just over 2 years ago. Misses it ever since.
A couple months ago I got a call from the guy who bought it asking If I'd want it back. After a few offers, and a few times on E-bay he sold it back to me.

I took a drive over to Indiana, and picked up a 93 Lexus.

He put it back together basically the same way Chris and I had it. Didn't change much at all.
Drove the car back 3+ hours, and it ran great.
Brad (the old owner) has it only putting about 2 psi while the motor is still being broken in.

I'm excited to have her back. :-)
Bob
Old 12-04-12, 09:18 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow post pics man
Old 12-06-12, 12:15 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I don't have any of the car since I got it back again, but it looks exactly the same.
If you go through the thread I have a few old ones
:-)
Old 10-27-13, 07:18 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Chris (C.M. Racing and I put a new 3 inch stainless steel exhaust on the SC.
Here are some pics, and a vidoe of it after start up.
VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUni...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by rdm20fan; 10-27-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-27-13, 09:42 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good looking exhaust Bob...Nice to see you still on the project.

Ryan
Old 10-29-13, 06:30 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

interesting story! Sold it and then bought it back! guess its a win for you
Old 10-30-13, 08:44 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Lol or another way to spend more money on the same project.
Anybody check out the YouTube video?
Sounds pretty cool for a Lexus ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvUni...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-05-13, 06:50 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Why isn't there an X or H pipe? It should be common knowledge that true duals should require one of these to equalize exhaust pulses, and it can be beneficial even in turbo applications...
Old 11-05-13, 01:23 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

We might put one in. A couple things still need to be taken care of.
Old 11-05-13, 02:22 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't wait to see a big number on dyno sheet.
Old 11-05-13, 02:43 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car has twins, each bank has a turbo, then I see an x/h pipe, any type of crossover, as being a restriction by creating turbulence. Just because bubba made 5whp on his na 5.0 doesn't mean its appropriate for this application. If you decide to do this anyway, do before/after dyno. My money is on the exhaust as it is making more power.
Old 11-05-13, 02:59 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Even though turbos dampen exhaust pulses to an extent, there are still uneven exhaust pulses to deal with... With an h or x pipe (x being better for higher rpm), each pulse effectively has two pipes to exit instead of one.... It increases overall exhaust velocity thus improving scavenging effect...