Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

TT 1UZ Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 05:59 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
Bob, is the galley open the entire length of the block though? The 2jz-ge motors have the same galley in them as the 2jzgte motors, however we've seen where they we're blocked at the halfway point meaning that only half of the squirters were receiving oil. It's a possibility that the 1uz's are the same way.

Thanks man,

Eric
Hey guys sorry I haven't posted in a while.
The oil galley goes all the way through the block. a plate in the rear bolt on to block the oil passage. you can see straight through it.
Old 03-08-08, 04:12 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read this entire thread, I cant believe I missed this! I had heard of this car via word of mouth and even visted with Chris when i was preparing my 6 speed swap but never seen this thread until now. So how are you liking the 6 speed? Did you install a 6 speed diff too?
Old 03-08-08, 10:40 AM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Hey Scott, are you in IL?
Believe it or not, the car went back to the shop 3 or 4 days ago to get finished.
Chris has been really busy. He has built a TT ZO6, a turbo Prelude, a single turbo SC300, a turbo 1UZ Supra, and a second TT SC400, similar to my old setup.
He also just moved his shop, so he hasn't had allot of free time.
I rebuilt the motor, and put the motor, and 6-speed back in the car, but she hasn't moved under her own power yet.
Chris is finishing up the charge piping, and a little change in the exhaust.
Hopefully the car should be up and running in 6-8 weeks.
I'm not sure, cause I really don't want the car to break again, but we may really crank up the boost, and try and hit some really good numbers with the 400.
Currently the car has the stock diff, with the supra TT auto torsen carrier. We worked on a 1200hp Supra that ran this diff, with the TRD clutch style carrier. I've heard the torsen isn't good for much over 500 Ft-Lb. I still need to make a decision on what to do with the diff. right now I'm thinking the TRD carrier with the GS400 3.27 gear. What are your thoughts?
Old 03-08-08, 09:26 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rdm20fan
Hey Scott, are you in IL?
Believe it or not, the car went back to the shop 3 or 4 days ago to get finished.
Chris has been really busy. He has built a TT ZO6, a turbo Prelude, a single turbo SC300, a turbo 1UZ Supra, and a second TT SC400, similar to my old setup.
He also just moved his shop, so he hasn't had allot of free time.
I rebuilt the motor, and put the motor, and 6-speed back in the car, but she hasn't moved under her own power yet.
Chris is finishing up the charge piping, and a little change in the exhaust.
Hopefully the car should be up and running in 6-8 weeks.
I'm not sure, cause I really don't want the car to break again, but we may really crank up the boost, and try and hit some really good numbers with the 400.
Currently the car has the stock diff, with the supra TT auto torsen carrier. We worked on a 1200hp Supra that ran this diff, with the TRD clutch style carrier. I've heard the torsen isn't good for much over 500 Ft-Lb. I still need to make a decision on what to do with the diff. right now I'm thinking the TRD carrier with the GS400 3.27 gear. What are your thoughts?
I live in KS but do travle to Chicago on business often. I have never has the privilege of meeting Chris in person, just spoke on the phones several times. Last time ai spoke he was finishing up the TT Vette. Somtime I hope to meet up with him.
As far as the rear end goes I think the TRD is a great choice for the power you are putting down. I went with a 6 speed diff in mine to make sure my gearing would be good, I love it. I think the stock TT 6 speed diff is 3.13 gears so the GS 3.26 would be real close.
Old 03-08-08, 10:16 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Thanks Scott, thats what I think I'll end up going with, or at least thats me plan. I'll try and post updates on the car as it happens.
Next time your up near Chicago let us know. We are about 30 minutes west of downtown, and only about 10 minutes from Ohare airport.
Old 03-09-08, 07:05 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Scott, thats what I think I'll end up going with, or at least thats me plan. I'll try and post updates on the car as it happens.
Next time your up near Chicago let us know. We are about 30 minutes west of downtown, and only about 10 minutes from Ohare airport.
Will do, I fly into Ohare and midway both. I may try to make the next big meet there, is it HIN?
Old 03-09-08, 01:19 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

All I know is there are alot of good looking Lexus in this post. LOL
Whats the plural of Lexus anyway? Lexui? Lexuses?
Whats HIN?
Old 03-09-08, 02:32 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

All I know is there are alot of good looking Lexus in this post. LOL
Whats the plural of Lexus anyway? Lexui? Lexuses?
Whats HIN?

Hot Import Nights, I thought that was a Chicago event. I may be mistaken.
Old 03-16-08, 02:44 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Scott I noticed you used a new trans cross member, and had to cut the tunnel for the trans.
I got the stock crossmember to work, and so far I haven't had to modify the trans tunnel. What did you run into? I don't have the shifter in yet.
Old 03-16-08, 02:58 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Scott I noticed you used a new trans cross member, and had to cut the tunnel for the trans.
I got the stock crossmember to work, and so far I haven't had to modify the trans tunnel. What did you run into? I don't have the shifter in yet.
I did the trans tunnel to really do a professional job. I allowed me to really lift the transmission up and get the drive trane in perfect line. It also allowed me to use the stock Supra TT boot compenents to seal out the shifter like factory. The transmission tripod shifter is up higher than the transmission, the factory TT tunnel allows clearance for this. Not to mention if you can't lift the transmission high enough the shifter sets really low in the hole. Right now I have a stock 97 shifter on it, I also have a 94, a stillway and a C's. I threw the stillway on ebay, and think I am installing the C's.

My stock crossmember wouldnt line up because the tranmission was 3/4" farther back due to the adaptor. I have seen the manual transmission x member and it looks like it might bolt in. Not sure why yours lined up but maybe its the difference in adaptors?
Old 03-16-08, 03:35 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I turned the trans crossmember around. one way is for the V8, and the other way is for the 2JZ. the 2JZ way lined right up with trans.
I havn't looked at the tunnel that much. I do see what you mean about it sitting low though. I look at it a little more closely. Thanks.
Old 03-16-08, 05:27 PM
Mr.NA_T
Lexus Test Driver

Nice work..keep us updated

+1 for the build
Old 03-16-08, 07:43 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bkjasonp
Nice work..keep us updated

+1 for the build
I Will Thanks
Old 03-16-08, 08:26 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, do you have any updated pics of your engine bay?

Thanks!

Eric
Old 03-21-08, 06:23 PM
rdm20fan
Lead Lap

I don't currently. We were playing around with the car today. I think I'll go over there tomorrow. I'll try to remember my camera, and take some.

Quick Reply: TT 1UZ Rebuild