Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1.5jz Ge??!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05 | 12:00 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

it would probably work. Something new that no one has tried, so give him a break. People always scoff at new , different ideas. That would be a cheaper alternative to a GTE block. I would think that you would just want to put in a thicker headgasket so you could run more boost in the future on either the stock twins or an upgraded setup.
Old 10-11-05 | 12:22 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by codetoad
it would probably work. Something new that no one has tried, so give him a break. People always scoff at new , different ideas. That would be a cheaper alternative to a GTE block. I would think that you would just want to put in a thicker headgasket so you could run more boost in the future on either the stock twins or an upgraded setup.

The NAT guys run alot of hp with a thicker headgasket, it would save $$ in the longrun i think by just getting a thicker gasket and 1JZ top end setup. Heck u can even get a complete swap for $1000 and sell the bottom end and get most your money back. It would be a 1.5JZ, just on a NA bottom end. Stock compression would handle it very well i think, and make a nice responsive street car for having fun, drifting, etc. To get some nice dyno or 1/4mi times, just slap in a 3mm gasket and boost away.

Some ppl might gawk at me now for the idea, but i'm sure im not the first to think of it... Id like to see this done in the future, i bet it would make a torque monster
Old 10-11-05 | 03:39 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
The NAT guys run alot of hp with a thicker headgasket, it would save $$ in the longrun i think by just getting a thicker gasket and 1JZ top end setup. Heck u can even get a complete swap for $1000 and sell the bottom end and get most your money back. It would be a 1.5JZ, just on a NA bottom end. Stock compression would handle it very well i think, and make a nice responsive street car for having fun, drifting, etc. To get some nice dyno or 1/4mi times, just slap in a 3mm gasket and boost away.

Some ppl might gawk at me now for the idea, but i'm sure im not the first to think of it... Id like to see this done in the future, i bet it would make a torque monster
People who buy cars to drift are idiots. You should have bought a s13 or a ae87 instead.

Please- don't be telling everyone here like it's not been done before. Swapping 1jz heads on a 2jz-ge short block have been done multiple times. Its one of the easiest things to do besides the electrical aspects.
Old 10-11-05 | 04:54 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
People who buy cars to drift are idiots. You should have bought a s13 or a ae87 instead.

Please- don't be telling everyone here like it's not been done before. Swapping 1jz heads on a 2jz-ge short block have been done multiple times. Its one of the easiest things to do besides the electrical aspects.

I have yet to see a 1JZ head on a GE shortblock. What I have seen is a 1JZ head on a GTE block. Post pics of the 1JZ head on a GE block or name some people who have done this because i'd like to see it done.
Old 10-11-05 | 07:19 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by codetoad
I have yet to see a 1JZ head on a GE shortblock. What I have seen is a 1JZ head on a GTE block. Post pics of the 1JZ head on a GE block or name some people who have done this because i'd like to see it done.
Whats exactly is the point? The GTE and GE shortblock are nearly idential minus the piston groves and a pair of oil squirters.

You guys need to do more research before trying to be online mechanics
Old 10-11-05 | 08:41 PM
RADSC
Driver

Default xxx

Supraman741
Old 10-11-05 | 08:43 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

yea, if it were anyone else, i wound have a different opinion.... my reply is personal, although my comments were relative. im not saying it wont work, im jsut saying that for him, its not a good idea. that is all.
Old 10-11-05 | 11:35 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Whats exactly is the point? The GTE and GE shortblock are nearly idential minus the piston groves and a pair of oil squirters.

You guys need to do more research before trying to be online mechanics

To see it done, I'm just curious to see the real world results of it. Stop being so negative. A GE shortblock is cheaper, thats my point. I know the differences of the two blocks.

Stop trying to be online mechanic? I never was. However, I do make a nice living as a certified mechanic, so it's funny you should say that.
Old 10-12-05 | 07:46 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Wow ppl are not open minded at all. I know the differences between the GE and GTE block.. but why would that stop it from making big hp? Oil squirters dont give you 50hp. How many NA-T guys that make 600+ hp have problems because they do not have oil squirters and grooves?

Ppl can pick up GE bottom ends dirt cheap, slap on a thicker headgasket, and there u go.. Your 1.5JZ. Am i going to do it? No, i want 2.5 liters. I just think tooo many ppl in the toyota world are too facinated on that you gotta have the most expensive parts in the world to make hp, and thats so untrue.
Old 10-12-05 | 10:48 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
Wow ppl are not open minded at all. I know the differences between the GE and GTE block.. but why would that stop it from making big hp? Oil squirters dont give you 50hp. How many NA-T guys that make 600+ hp have problems because they do not have oil squirters and grooves?

Ppl can pick up GE bottom ends dirt cheap, slap on a thicker headgasket, and there u go.. Your 1.5JZ. Am i going to do it? No, i want 2.5 liters. I just think tooo many ppl in the toyota world are too facinated on that you gotta have the most expensive parts in the world to make hp, and thats so untrue.
What the hell are you talking about? If you put a 1JZ head on a 2JZ block you will still have 3 liters. It's the STROKE of the 2JZ that makes the displacement, not the head.
Old 10-12-05 | 11:15 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

maybe u didnt read right because what u said didnt correspond to what i said
Old 10-12-05 | 12:59 PM
codetoad
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaiser
What the hell are you talking about? If you put a 1JZ head on a 2JZ block you will still have 3 liters. It's the STROKE of the 2JZ that makes the displacement, not the head.

I think he was saying he was going to keep his 1JZ block.
Old 10-13-05 | 06:55 AM
shaman
Rookie

http://www.clubna-t.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494

Dyno test
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...highlight=1.5j
Old 11-05-05 | 10:09 PM
1JZSC
Driver School Candidate

WOW, There is SO MUCH mis-information in this thread it's crazy... The 1.5JZ has been done MANY times in Japan and AU as a way to get a 2J block under a 1J head in 1J powered cars. The GE block will work plenty fine. There are guys hitting 600+ on NA-Ts...

Lets get some real world **** out there...
*The GE short block and the GTE short block are NEARLY the same. The GTE has 1) Oil squirters, 2)Semi Coated pistons

*The JZ series motors get their compression from the headgasket thickness ONLY. To get GTE compression numbers all you need is ANY GTE head gasket. Stock or aftermarket. You don't need a insanely think headgasket.

The difference between the two in displacement is purely stroke. The 2J block has more stroke and subsequently, a higher deck height. The 1J block is litterly the same casting as a 2J except the deck height has been milled down.

All you really need to bolt a 1J head on a 2J block is a 2J timing belt and headgasket.

All you 1JZ guy need to stop flaming since you have NO idea what you are talking about.

Yes I realize this is about a month old, but IMO there is NOT enough about the 1.5JZ out there. All the benefits of the 1J and the displacement of the 2J. The only downside is sourcing parts.
Old 11-06-05 | 01:49 AM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Id like to say that some of this talk is completely useless info. Not flaming but get the info straight if your gonna hassle someone about it.

Oil squirters, not for extra lubrication but instead they are to cool the pistons. Some of oil's properties other than to lubricate is to cool, reduce vibration and keep clean. note the cooling function to DISIPATE HEAT is key here.

Next the pistons are forged in the ge block, so to say its not safe is just wrong. add a head gasket to lower compression. Yes it is not the best idea for going this route due to the increased chance for a hot spot in the chambers but it will take compression to a more user user friendly level.

I say do it, i plan to. Just swap over the crack trigger sensor, the crank pulley add a feed line off the bolt like an na-t and split it to the stock turbos. run some returns that merge into one and then drill out the stock return location in the upper oil pan. boom poor mans setup, easy enough. I would get some aftermarket pistons to help defeat heat build up but in reality oil squirters are not completely necessary and are usually removed in high hp cars since it throws off the balance of the pistons under high load.

If done right it should perform with great ease.

Quick Reply: 1.5jz Ge??!