Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-05, 08:18 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I emailed them and sent them the pics above. I don't know if that will do much good though.
Old 10-25-05, 11:44 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SoarerJzz3
Yeah I emailed them and sent them the pics above. I don't know if that will do much good though.
Keep me updated on how the handle it.
Old 10-25-05, 01:59 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Keep me updated on how the handle it.
Yeah I will.
Old 10-26-05, 10:10 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Well JHOT responded to my email. He admitted that the engine wasn't the cleanest he has seen and explained that they don't do very detailed tests, just basically check the oil, coolant, any strange smoke coming from the exhaust, and any strange noises. All the tests performed on the engine determined that it ran fine and could be warranted on start up. They can't check everything, like under the valve covers etc. So it looks like i'm stuck with this, any advice on what I should do? Could I just clean it up a bit, like remove the excess build up? Or remove the head completly and have it cleaned up by a machine shop?
Old 10-26-05, 10:33 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it take a lot of work to remove valve covers.
Old 10-26-05, 10:43 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Ive seen worse engines and they have 300k miles on em.. just change the oil a few times and enjoy!
Old 10-26-05, 11:00 AM
Wreckless
Driver School Candidate

Jzz3, I'm assuming the engine is in your car and running?
I've gotten much worse looking deposits out of 7M's by running good oil (like Mobil 1) mixed with about 1/2 quart of Dexron III Mercon ATF, and a good oil filter like a Toyota OEM or Napa Gold. Take the car on several really long drives (like a nice daytrip to someplace an hour or two away and back, etc) To really get that motor up to operating temperature at cruising speeds for extended periods of time. By your next oil change you should easily see an improvement when you pull the valve covers.

A lot of these sorts of deposits in JDM motors come from the fact that many japanese motorists just don't drive long distances at all, so when you combine a lack of time at full operating temp and lots of stop & go driving, you end up with deposits like this.

As for the oil on #6's thread, that wasn't *IN* the motor, that was just oil that leaked into the spark plug valley, probably from the valve cover gaskets. Happens all the time on 7M-GTE's too.
Old 10-26-05, 11:14 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

make sure u put silicone on those valve covers on the front and back so they dont leak
Old 10-26-05, 11:34 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoarerJzz3
Well JHOT responded to my email. He admitted that the engine wasn't the cleanest he has seen and explained that they don't do very detailed tests, just basically check the oil, coolant, any strange smoke coming from the exhaust, and any strange noises. All the tests performed on the engine determined that it ran fine and could be warranted on start up. They can't check everything, like under the valve covers etc. So it looks like i'm stuck with this, any advice on what I should do? Could I just clean it up a bit, like remove the excess build up? Or remove the head completly and have it cleaned up by a machine shop?
Well.... maybe it's not as bad as it seems. I'm probably going to request that they pull the covers on my two motors before they ship them out. If it looks like **** I don't want it..........
Old 10-26-05, 11:47 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Wreckless
I've gotten much worse looking deposits out of 7M's by running good oil (like Mobil 1) mixed with about 1/2 quart of Dexron III Mercon ATF, and a good oil filter like a Toyota OEM or Napa Gold. Take the car on several really long drives (like a nice daytrip to someplace an hour or two away and back, etc) To really get that motor up to operating temperature at cruising speeds for extended periods of time. By your next oil change you should easily see an improvement when you pull the valve covers.

A lot of these sorts of deposits in JDM motors come from the fact that many japanese motorists just don't drive long distances at all, so when you combine a lack of time at full operating temp and lots of stop & go driving, you end up with deposits like this.

As for the oil on #6's thread, that wasn't *IN* the motor, that was just oil that leaked into the spark plug valley, probably from the valve cover gaskets. Happens all the time on 7M-GTE's too.

Thanks for the helpful info, I've heard of people substituting a quart of ATF in oil changes before, I had forgotten about that. Something about ATF having more or superior cleaning abilities.
Old 10-26-05, 11:48 AM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VJ RC51
make sure u put silicone on those valve covers on the front and back so they dont leak
Yeah I plan on doing that and going ahead and replace the valve cover gaskets as well. They seemed to be kinda hard/stiff.
Old 10-26-05, 12:09 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

redo the vacuum system too, simplify the crap out of it, that will save you ALOT of headaches in the future
Old 10-26-05, 12:15 PM
SoarerJzz3
Lead Lap

How did you do that?
Old 10-26-05, 12:25 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

i got rid of the whole factory vacuum system and lines, and ran vacuum lines directly to each item that needed them:

FPR
BOV
PS
MAP
(heater but not hooked up yet)
(powerbrakes ,but thats a given)

Technically only 4 vacuum lines on my motor right now, 5 once i hook the heater up.

I ditched the canister and that system of 50 vacuum lines also.
Old 10-26-05, 02:08 PM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Wreckless

So after looking at the pics of his cylinder head you think his is okay? I'm just kind of worried now after some of these stories............ what would it cost to get the head refreshed.

Quick Reply: 1JZ Warning