Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MY 475hp 1992 SC400 IS CRYING OUT FOR HEADERS, ANYONE PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-05, 07:55 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This car made over 300 to the wheels, somewhere around 320. I can't remember offhand this second.

It would make a lot more with the stock airbox in place, and a better engineered exhaust system, but I was not in charge of that portion of the work. I only put in a nitrous setup, upgraded fuel pump and an Apexi SAFC.

This car has some serious driveability issues below 2000 rpm though, but with all of the hodge-podge parts on it, that is something very difficult to diagnose. I told him since he is spending money on the car restoring/refurbishing it, if he didn't have a problem with it, to change the MAF sensor and TPS, couldn't hurt plus there would be new ones on the car that should last for years to come. The SAFC unit probably squeezed out another 20ish horsepower, but last I heard this guy said that the SAFC was causing the below-2000rpm bog, which is not the case. I even offered to disconnect it to prove this, but haven't heard back.

So, yes it makes pretty good power and is pretty fast with the gearing it has but it's far short of 475 hp.

I told him the headers wouldn't make any significant horsepower, as much of the functional limitations are with the engine management system itself, and the cams and heads. You can only fool with things so far before you reach these brick walls. Basically you need a new brick wall but build it farther down the street.

My car with a direct port setup made right around 500 at the engine, which could be calculated simply by the trap speed at the track and the weight of the car. That was way beyond what I would ever recommend anyone to do with their car, as who knows how long the stock internaled engine would last under that much stress. 475 is a stretch on this setup we are talking about here.
Old 10-20-05, 07:56 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Am Not Talking Rwhp, No Way!!!!!!

You guys are twisting my threads you guys are saying 500rwhp no way, I would be smoking crack or very excited about my ride. Come on people!!!!! Not horse power at the rear wheels!!!!! I want to make that clear!!!!!
Old 10-20-05, 08:03 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Good info Todd!

What do you recommend for a SC400 for a typical / average drivetrain loss %?

Jibbby - any thoughts on when you want to do the dyno? Take a look at the dynojet link I listed above on locations near you?
Old 10-20-05, 08:10 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Good info Todd!

Jibbby - any thoughts on when you want to do the dyno? Take a look at the dynojet link I listed above on locations near you?
Got sleep Dave?

Chris
Old 10-20-05, 08:12 PM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Is anyone actually still paying attention to him until we have proof?
Old 10-20-05, 08:13 PM
jibbby

Default I Don't Do Write Ups On Intellexual.com

Although That Site Is The First Mod Website I Looked At That Got Me Started One Year Ago. God Bless The People Who Wrote That Website And Kept It Alive!

I Am Still Here People , I Got Heart And Will Go The Distance, Anyone Check Out Ebay 'differential Sc300 Sc400" That Shows Pics The Whole Works Of My Ride Anyone???? You People Talk Alot Of Smack You Know That! I Thought Lexus Owners Were Like Brothers To One Another, Where Is The Love. Come On Lighten Up On Me, It Is So Hard For Me To Believe No One Really Dyno'd Over 300hpon A Stock Motor Without Nos Or Forced Air Induction,. Come On? These Cars New At Stock Have 25o. A Stand Alone Ecu, Exhaust And Intake Mods Alone Will Get You Close To 300hp On A Good Motor. If I Cannot Find A Way To Prove This, I Will Have To Find And Post My Last Dyno Results. Be Patient Facts Are Coming Shortly.
Old 10-20-05, 08:20 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by jibbby
Although That Site Is The First Mod Website I Looked At That Got Me Started One Year Ago. God Bless The People Who Wrote That Website And Kept It Alive!

I Am Still Here People , I Got Heart And Will Go The Distance, Anyone Check Out Ebay 'differential Sc300 Sc400" That Shows Pics The Whole Works Of My Ride Anyone???? You People Talk Alot Of Smack You Know That! I Thought Lexus Owners Were Like Brothers To One Another, Where Is The Love. Come On Lighten Up On Me, It Is So Hard For Me To Believe No One Really Dyno'd Over 300hpon A Stock Motor Without Nos Or Forced Air Induction,. Come On? These Cars New At Stock Have 25o. A Stand Alone Ecu, Exhaust And Intake Mods Alone Will Get You Close To 300hp On A Good Motor. If I Cannot Find A Way To Prove This, I Will Have To Find And Post My Last Dyno Results. Be Patient Facts Are Coming Shortly.
John, it'd be nice to find the old stuff, but let's settle what your current setup puts down so I can stop worrying about my $75 Let's set it up

Originally Posted by DIrEctQL
Got sleep Dave?

Chris
No I've been working so much / drinking so much coffee & soda that even when I stop I'm still wound up and can't sleep even though I've had successive 16 - 18 hr days for weeks. Going to bed right now though last post for the night.
Old 10-20-05, 08:28 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like I mentioned above, if you even read the damn thing, I searched for it and found ******. Just give me a damn link man if it is up there. It's as simple as copy and paste. Stop capitalizing all your words, it's really annoying. And we do show love man. You come on here not showing us love but telling lies and bol ****** or so it appears. Show us man and we will believe you and give you all the love you want.
Old 10-20-05, 08:29 PM
jibbby

Default You Are Right About That.

I Am Trying To Respond To Threads But There Are Too Many, There Are Some Believers Thank God, I Thought I Was Asleep And Having A Nightmare But There Are Few Who Know What I Say Is True.. Mr Tranny Man, I Don't Care How Many Tranny's You Blew The Stock Tranny With A Dragon Torque Converter A Supra Lsd Can Handle The Hp Not Rwhp Everyone Get That Cleared. Although Like I Said Before My Spindal Broke Before The Tranny. How Do You Explain That I Was Seeking Traction With 500lbs In The Truck, Tranny Is Fine And Shifts Smothely Maybe I Am Blessed With A Special Sc400 Although I Do Not Think So, But I Have Owned A Few Over The Years And This One At Stock Was Dealer Maintained Like New And Driven By A Doctor, This 92 Is Clean And Young Miles Wise
Old 10-20-05, 08:34 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Respond to my post bro. Quit delaying/ avoiding it.
Old 10-20-05, 08:40 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Good info Todd!

It's usually what around the 20ish % range, same as most other stock automatic cars.

I think he's around 400 hp at the crank.

I should have let this thread go longer before responding though, even dave is in on the fun LOL!!!

As far as I know I'm the only one that has dynoed that car.
Old 10-20-05, 08:48 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I believe him! I did some mods that got my V8 SC300 well over 500hp..

-18" wheels: 30whp (polished silver, as Chrome is too heavy and will only give you a 20hp boost)
-2Fast2Furious CD: 20whp (make sure there are no other CDs in your changer for weigh reasons)
-NOS Bazooka Tube Sub: 200+whp (use 24 awg wire to cut down on weight)
-PVC 4" Exhaust: 70whp (smells like crap when it gets hot though)
-Removed 3 of the 5 lug nuts: 20whp (again, weight reduction.. make sure the remaining 2 on each wheel are super tight though)
-Washed the car: 75whp (Dirt and dust account for alot of excess weight)
-Dry the car: 20hp (you think water is lite?)

Add it up.. Or just do a Google search for the word "the" and you will see hundreds of pictures of my car!
Old 10-20-05, 08:48 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I Am Trying To Respond To Threads But There Are Too Many, There Are Some Believers Thank God, I Thought I Was Asleep And Having A Nightmare But There Are Few Who Know What I Say Is True.. Mr Tranny Man, I Don't Care How Many Tranny's You Blew The Stock Tranny With A Dragon Torque Converter A Supra Lsd Can Handle The Hp Not Rwhp Everyone Get That Cleared. Although Like I Said Before My Spindal Broke Before The Tranny. How Do You Explain That I Was Seeking Traction With 500lbs In The Truck, Tranny Is Fine And Shifts Smothely Maybe I Am Blessed With A Special Sc400 Although I Do Not Think So, But I Have Owned A Few Over The Years And This One At Stock Was Dealer Maintained Like New And Driven By A Doctor, This 92 Is Clean And Young Miles Wise
Wait, wait, wait...

Wouldn't having extra weight in the trunk aid traction?
Old 10-20-05, 08:51 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I believe him! I did some mods that got my V8 SC300 well over 500hp..

-18" wheels: 30whp (polished silver, as Chrome is too heavy and will only give you a 20hp boost)
-2Fast2Furious CD: 20whp (make sure there are no other CDs in your changer for weigh reasons)
-NOS Bazooka Tube Sub: 200+whp (use 24 awg wire to cut down on weight)
-PVC 4" Exhaust: 70whp (smells like crap when it gets hot though)
-Removed 3 of the 5 lug nuts: 20whp (again, weight reduction.. make sure the remaining 2 on each wheel are super tight though)
-Washed the car: 75whp (Dirt and dust account for alot of excess weight)
-Dry the car: 20hp (you think water is lite?)

Add it up.. Or just do a Google search for the word "the" and you will see hundreds of pictures of my car!
Now that is some funny ****. HAHA LOL.

Hey guys.......
Old 10-20-05, 08:55 PM
jibbby

Default Ooooppps Look What You Guys Found!!!

Yes That Is My Car The Sc400 This Monster Thread Has Been Fusing About All Day. The Holes Are Covered With The Flags, Because I Am Proud To Be An American For One, Two It Helps Me With Not Getting Speeding Tickets When Racing, I Kid You Not Police Ride Behind Me All The Time Because My Ride Is Loud At High Rpm And Then Turn Off And Never Turn The Lights On Me, Before In One Month I Got Two Tickets Both Speeding When I Was Testing The Nos. Try It People It Works, And It's Good For Out Troops Over In The Middeast Getting Wasted.

By The Way The Ebay Item # Is 8009031484 I Better Not Get Death Threats Or People Showing Up At My Door. Please People Be Nice. I Must Say Not Bad For My First Post Wouldn't You Say Fella's ? Give Prop's Where Prop's Are Do, No?now Back To Business Check The Ride, Keep In Mind Those Pics Are Outdated And Have Added A Few Things To Make 11 Additional Horsepower From What You See In Those Pics. Now Talk To Me Anyone, Am I Still Full Of Crap, Could I Possibly Be Telling The Truth. Take It For What It Is Worth.

As Far As Bashing Todd, I Had A Bad Repair At My Last Visit To Him, He Did My Nos And Did A Great Job, He Is Very Smart And Knowlegeable In Regards To Modiing The Sc400's, And I Do Not Wish Him Any Harm Or Loss Of Any Business, But Lets Just Say He Is Responsible And The Reason I Will Be Spending My Next Sunday Under My Sc400 Changing Out The Front Control Arms With New Supra Control Arms. Lets Just Say I Got A New Set Of Daisen Bushings On My Old Control Arms Anyone Want Them I Won't Be Needing Them Any More. Continue To Give Todd Business Maybe He Just Made A Mistake With My Car That Ended Up Costing Me $1100. $750 To Him And $450 For The New Arms, At A Dealers Discount Other Than That He Has Done Excellent Work On My Car For Close To A Year.

He Is Building A Monster Sc400 And If I Were A Betting Man I Would Bet On Him Too, Over Me, But I Am Going To Give It A Run For The Money. The Best Of Everything In This 98 Block, May Bore It Out A Bit. As Well. Chevy Rear End The Works And Fellas Forget About This Sc We Are All Excited About And Check Back In A Year And Let's See What I Can Build. Oh And People Modify The Hood To House A Larger Air Forced Induction System, Very Simple No One Ever Suggests That, Just There Is Not Enough Room... Blaa Blaa Blaa Later

Quick Reply: MY 475hp 1992 SC400 IS CRYING OUT FOR HEADERS, ANYONE PLEASE!