Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SEARCHED, short shifter help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 05:08 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont understand why people say cutting the shifter doesnt make the throw shorter?? It does!! Sure an actual altered angle short shifter will decrease the throw alot more, cutting the shifter will reduce it for free. I did it in my last car and noticed the shifts were much shorter and it looked better.

Think about it, the length of the shift throw = arc length of a sector of a circle, or theta*radius (theta being the angle of the shifter in radians, and radius being the length of the shifter). Therefore, a decrease in shifter length has a direct impact on the shift throw.

Thats my take of it anyway, if someone else can show me how the only way to reduce throw is by changing the angle, Ill listen
Old 10-30-05, 05:15 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\
I dont understand why people say cutting the shifter doesnt make the throw shorter?? It does!! Sure an actual altered angle short shifter will decrease the throw alot more, cutting the shifter will reduce it for free. I did it in my last car and noticed the shifts were much shorter and it looked better.

Think about it, the length of the shift throw = arc length of a sector of a circle, or theta*radius (theta being the angle of the shifter in radians, and radius being the length of the shifter). Therefore, a decrease in shifter length has a direct impact on the shift throw.

Thats my take of it anyway, if someone else can show me how the only way to reduce throw is by changing the angle, Ill listen

damn collage kids. lol. your right, but cutting it is a very small change, and you would have to cut a lot to get any significant decrease in throw. with the way our shifters are made, its difficult to cut it and still be able to fit a **** on there. especially if you want a big decrease in throw. in my opinion, i would either leave it stock, like mine is with the TRD ****, or go ahead and drop the $400 on a Cs shifter.
Old 10-30-05, 05:48 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by /Aerostar\

back in the day mrjohntan got a TRD short shifter and cut it. He had a less-tall-short shifter.
He said even the TRD short shifter didnt shorten the throw enough because the shift **** actually sat higher than stock. Granted, the lever length below the mounting mosition does play into how much it will shorten the throw, the actual length of the shifter also does matter.

My modded shifter costed me $5 at a local exhaust shop and hasnt broken yet while ive known seveal people with the C's shifters in their 6-speed supras that broke them. =)
Old 10-30-05, 06:19 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

how did u guys cut and weld? the shaft gets thicker when u go down...
Old 10-30-05, 07:12 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Haha so Im right? Kickass, turns out Im actually learning stuff...in between all the drunkeness
Old 10-31-05, 12:43 AM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed that large pipe. inside is a solid bar.
im going to where my car is this weekend. ill try to take some pics so you can see the weld.
Old 10-31-05, 12:56 AM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

.................... if so how????
Attached Thumbnails SEARCHED, short shifter help-shift.jpg  

Last edited by kietlander; 10-31-05 at 01:16 AM.