Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Toyota fuel filter design = retarded

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-05, 12:09 AM
deruvian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota fuel filter design = retarded

So, I did my homework on the subject quite heavily. I used to own a 4Runner, and they have a very similar fuel filter design/location. I had to take that thing to a mechanic to remove both lines and change the filter (the threads had rusted)... I wasn't about to screw it up on my Lexus! BTW - There is a lot of good information on this forum regarding fuel filter replacement.

The night before I was going to change the filter, I looked under the rear wheel well and sprayed some WD40 and PB Blaster on the filter nuts.

The next day, I lift up the car, and behold! The inlet nut was rounded off. I put some vice grips on the nut, which started to turn fairly easily, but I decided to stop while I was "ahead."

I took the car to my mechanic and told him to inspect the line and filter, changing just the filter if the inlet line looked too difficult to replace. I had fully expected him to replace the line, as its path is not that complex.

Anyhow, the work was completed today. Filter replacement (I provided the filter) + inlet line + labor = about $300.

Think increasing fuel costs are a bummer? Try spending 6 weeks worth of fuel on the line that supplies it!

I really had to vent about this. They honestly could have designed a much better system. I used to be a big Subaru fanatic, and while I don't like them much anymore... at least they put the fuel filter in the engine bay. Takes about 5 minutes to change.

lol, thanks for listening!
Old 12-09-05, 12:57 AM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default A pipe wrench saved the day for me....

Yeah, I replaced mine today and I know the feeling to vent- this is my fourth post on the subject.

I don't think Toyota ever intended for this part to be replaced for the effective lifetime of the car, or if so, not by the end consumer. The job goes a bit easier if you have the car nice and high on a dealer's lift, a luxury most for our driveways don't have.

At least it's an easy way to tell if the fuel filter was ever replaced or if you still have the original filter- just look at the connector nuts!