Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$5000 cash... what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-05, 12:29 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok just for argument sake a person will strap on a pieced together na-t on their low mile sc. why would they want to do that? also to do this setup you have to mess with the ecu and oil pan. i just see "UNRELIABLE" written all over it especially since most lexus owners like their cars due to the reliability. now to flip the coin on everyone i plan on having my na-t very very soon. i drift my car so i might be going through motors so i decided to kill one motor and have another one on the back of the trailer just in case. that's why i see a person going na-t. other than that a 1jz is better than a na-t anyday. just my 2 cents. does anyone agree? if not please inform me why na-t is better than a stock 1jz.
Old 11-11-05, 12:30 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

na-t is not better then a 1JZ, but i'm sure you could NAT cheaper. A stock 1JZ will make the same power and last 500k miles.
Old 11-11-05, 12:36 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

so in the end its quanity over quality?
Old 11-11-05, 12:39 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

or just personal preference
Old 11-11-05, 02:16 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

i wouldnt say na-t is not reliable. i think once u start goin HP crazy like 600+. they will last about the same.
Old 11-11-05, 02:43 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

they can be the same, but if you add a turbo you are opening up a can or worms that honestly if done 1/2 a$$ can create many problems. such as:

drilling the whole
getting a manifold that does not fit
cheap oil lines
car won't start because of tuning
etc....

now if you do it right. its a 50/50 chance you will be happy since now you can't smog it. the gas milage. when i had my 1jz in my old sc i got 24mpg @ 313hp. in my stock sc i am at like 20mpg @ 202hp. in the long run saves you money. now put a na-t on a 20mpg motor everytime you pass a gas station your car would want to stop.
Old 11-11-05, 02:44 PM
SUPRMSC
Lexus Test Driver

Uhh no, who says an NA-T is NOT reliable?

If you do the work yourself, and cheap out on parts, then yes it won't be entirely reliable. But if it is done right with quality parts, quality maintenance, and quality installation/tuning, then it would outlast any 1JZ swap and also whoop their *** power wise.

Besides, who would want to say, "I have a cool stock engine in my car". Besides RC51..
Old 11-11-05, 02:45 PM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

Im getting around 20-23mpg in my 1jz. im sure with a SAFC and leaning the motor out from OEM pig rich it will do alot better
Old 11-11-05, 02:49 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

Idrewfelix:But if it is done right with quality parts, quality maintenance, and quality installation/tuning, then it would outlast any 1JZ swap and also whoop their *** power wise. Idrewfelix

with quality you will be spending much more than $1600 and remember the gas thing.
Old 11-11-05, 03:23 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, for one a NA-T has a number of advantages. Half a liter more displacement to start. No need to swap engines. The NA-T will have much more turbo capacity than the OEM 1JZGTE turbos. Sure you can do a big turbo upgrade on the 1JZ but that costs as much as a NA-T system. Parts availability is obvious. All the Supra experience. JDM ECU may create some issues.

Now, there are nice features on a 1JZ and I am certainly not knocking anyone who has done the swap. Personally I like the idea of the 1JZ head swap. I don't know the specifics but this may duplicate the GTE manifold bolt pattern and accept those upgrades. Anyone know if the 2JZGTE cams and accessories fit the 1JZ?
Old 11-11-05, 03:38 PM
soardrft
Lead Lap

jbrady:Well, for one a NA-T has a number of advantages. Half a liter more displacement to start. No need to swap engines. The NA-T will have much more turbo capacity than the OEM 1JZGTE turbos. Sure you can do a big turbo upgrade on the 1JZ but that costs as much as a NA-T system. Parts availability is obvious. All the Supra experience. JDM ECU may create some issues.

well swap oem for oem in a sense easier i believe than drilling cutting and taping into oem parts. as for the capacity remember we are talking about $1600 not much room to play with. and availability well most of the necessary parts are interchangeable so working with a $1600 1jz install and a $1600 na-t install which do you believe would people benefit from?
Old 11-11-05, 05:06 PM
Psionic
Lead Lap

Dont approach it like you have $1600. Approach it like you have $5000.

I know that you will spend $1500-2000 for a good 1jz swap. That leaves $3000 to play with to make as much hp as you can. On the other hand, you have the full $5000 for just bolting a turbo kit on your existing 2jz-ge.

Maybe another way to phrase it would be, "Which would be cheaper to get to 500hp?" (I know that probably wont happen for $5000, but you get the idea).

See, my whole thing is that if I am going to go turbo, I dont want "just" 280hp. I want to go turbo with the whole idea of gradually upgrading to make higher hp later on. The na-t might be the better deal in the long run.
Old 11-11-05, 09:43 PM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, i have looked at every option available, and considered some that have never ben done before... from my experiences, i would go 1J. thats personal. i love the powerband, and everything else. i have driven a few 1Js, a 500whp na-t, and a single turbo 2JZ-GTE... all in an SC. i had pieced to gether a turbo kit, and was up too about $1300 and all i needed was some managment, and a head gasket... but i decided against it. 1J parts are very common now a days. to me, thats what i would do. i figure about $800 for a motor and tranny, put it in in about 2 days, turn up the boost to about 1bar (14ish lbs) and be good for high 13s. all for about $1200. then, if you want, add a frontmount, exhaust, supra TT injectors and map, and now your even faster... and still under $2k. that leaves enough for a spare motor set up the same, new leather seat covers, new lights all arround, and some LS brakes! well, thats all ive got. but then again, i have a few connections.
Old 11-12-05, 07:10 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

ok if you are looking for only 500 hp i agree with ki_soarer. on top of everything he mentioned you still get the gas milage which is personally my big thing. these is a person on CLUBNA_T.com who hit 500whp with a na-t kit on pump gas and that is cool and all, but in the end the 1jz will save you money and tuning time. just my experience.
Old 11-12-05, 08:48 AM
VJ RC51
Lexus Champion

If you gave me $5000 for my 1JZ swap, i would be sitting around 500rwhp right now, or higher.

Motor swap = $1600 total running everything included (hoses, clamps, etc)
Now with 3400 left over:

GT35R turbo, manifold, everything to bolt it on and make it run: $2000

With 1400 bucks left over:
Supra 550cc injectors
safc2
fmic

And have $$ left over to buy some LS4 calipers from autozone so u can stop..

The only thing i would buy new is the turbo and manifold, everything else used. You could probably even do it cheaper.

Quick Reply: $5000 cash... what would you do?